How to keep egg yolks soft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep egg yolks soft

Lately I've been incorporating egg yolks into different recipes for a little fat/protein boost... and though I like the texture when the yolk's still a little bit liquid, I've started wondering whether they're fully cooked if they're in that state.

Can anyone offer any insight? I don't want to be wasting protein by eating eggs uncooked. Is there a way to get my eggs fully cooked while still keeping them pretty soft?

I believe most of the protein is in the whites. Yolks need not be cooked.

Comment

As I understand it raw yolks are fine unless there's some external contamination, which is very rare in pastured eggs. Egg whites contain some difficult proteins and should be cooked.

I boil my eggs very briefly because I enjoy the creamy yolks.
      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
        I believe most of the protein is in the whites. Yolks need not be cooked.
        About 50% of the protein is in the whites and 50% in the yolk, from what I've read

Comment

According to Nourishing Traditions the protein in question is avidin, found only in the whites. It supposedly interferes with B-vitamin uptake when raw.
          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Don't cook them too long, 4min for a large egg and white will be solid and have runny yolks.
            http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalStudent View Post
              Lately I've been incorporating egg yolks into different recipes for a little fat/protein boost... and though I like the texture when the yolk's still a little bit liquid, I've started wondering whether they're fully cooked if they're in that state.

Can anyone offer any insight? I don't want to be wasting protein by eating eggs uncooked. Is there a way to get my eggs fully cooked while still keeping them pretty soft?
              I don't understand the bolded sentence.

There are 6.3 gms of protein in a whole uncooked egg. IOW yolk + white.
              There are 3.6 gms of protein in a whole uncooked white.

A hard boiled egg has the same amounts of protein.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                I don't understand the bolded sentence.

There are 6.3 gms of protein in a whole uncooked egg. IOW yolk + white.
                There are 3.6 gms of protein in a whole uncooked white.

A hard boiled egg has the same amounts of protein.
                I was under the impression that protein from an uncooked egg (i.e. when raw eggs are put into a smoothie) is not fully absorbed. I'm asking whether runny egg yolks are fully cooked or not, because if they're not, I'll only be consuming a portion of the egg's protein.

Comment

Thank you - I was completely clueless as to what you meant.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Darn it I was looking for a recipe on how to boil eggs and keep the yolk soft, but i can't find it.

It was basically pouring 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan and covering it until it boils, which would be pretty fast. But the eggs and cover again. The key was in the timing, but I did it yesterday for like 3 or 4 minutes and they came out pretty good. So you can tinker with them a few times and see. The steam make the eggs cook better and more uniformly if you boil more than one.

Comment

Originally posted by Enilegna/hearts View Post
                      Darn it I was looking for a recipe on how to boil eggs and keep the yolk soft, but i can't find it.

It was basically pouring 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan and covering it until it boils, which would be pretty fast. But the eggs and cover again. The key was in the timing, but I did it yesterday for like 3 or 4 minutes and they came out pretty good. So you can tinker with them a few times and see. The steam make the eggs cook better and more uniformly if you boil more than one.
                      There are many different methods for boiling eggs.

I pierce the round end with the tip of a metal roast thermometer, then drop them into already boiling water with the timer set for 14 minutes. When the timer goes off, I immediately immerse them in cold water and bash the pierced end, then peel. If I wanted them so the whites were cooked but the yolks were just starting to cook, that would be 8 minutes, 7 if I want the yolks runny. I have never liked translucent/transparent egg whites, so that's as low as I have gone. And since now I am finding I am sensitive to egg whites, I don't soft boil eggs any more.

No matter how you cook them, use a timer and a consistent method to get a consistent result.

Comment

To get mine a little soft not runny, I just boil some water first. Then put the eggs in for 10 minutes exactly. Take the pot and run it under card water for 1 minute. Then crack and eat.

Comment

Working...
                        X