No announcement yet.

Molasses: What does it taste good with?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molasses: What does it taste good with?

I think molasses has some great nutritional properties, but I've never had it in anything besides hidden in baked goods. What does it taste good in or on or with?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

A little can taste nice in a chai tea. If you eat rice at all, it would probably taste nice in a rice pudding (coconut milk or milk with pre-cooked rice [preferably refrigerated], heat over stove until it gets thick).
    Depression Lies

Comment

Any kind of smoothie.

I haven't tried mixing it into my liver powder drink, but that's probably a decent idea. I think I'll go try it right now . . .

Comment

Personally I avoid it. I dislike the taste. They often put it into "natural" baked goods, but it is never truly hidden.

Comment

EVERYTHING!!!!!

Haha. Seriously though I love molasses. Molasses cookies, oh lawdie. Now I want to make some. :3

I'm sure it could go into a tasty sauce for pork loin, ribs, or chicken.
          yay!

Comment

mollasses mixed with some apple cider vinegar and a nice spicy brown mustard plus spices makes a really good tomato less bbq sauce.

Comment

When I sear lamb riblets, I throw them into a large bag with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, S&P... and a dab of molasses. Not much is needed, and it really helps give the lamb a nice sear on the outside while keeping the inside pink. And for some reason just that little bit of molasses works well flavor-wise, too. I might use half a teaspoon to a teaspoon for a rack of lamb, split into individual riblets.

Comment

My mind automatically screams BISCUITS and then CORNBREAD

but I like the ideas in this thread, and now I may actually have a use for molasses again. Thanks guys

Comment

I use molasses when I make barbecue sauce! Most recipes call for brown sugar, but I prefer molasses instead. Tastes the same, I think.
                  Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                  Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                  Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                  F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Oats. It's got a very unique flavor and you don't require much. Besides that I would only put it in baked goods in small amounts.
                    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 04-08-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

So many good ideas, guys! Thank you. Keep 'em coming. Post pics if you any!
                      | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

I put it in my beanless chili. It adds depth and a hint of sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenfish View Post
                          I put it in my beanless chili. It adds depth and a hint of sweet.
                          ick, lol. read this real quickly as a hit of sweat.

i can't stand the stuff. molasses, i mean. don't mind sweat so much.
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I am going to try that for sure!!
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I sometimes put a glop into my coconut milk. It's amazing that way.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                              X