How do you all really educate yourselves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by awok677 View Post
    I'm basically reading books, each of which seems to send me to two or more other books. If I want more detail I google for blogs and discussions and look at the links to papers and reports to get an idea of the sources. My to-read stack of books is still growing!
    Yea so far I have read
    The Paleo Solution
    The Primal Blueprint &
    It Starts With Food

Comment

Originally posted by BeatMD View Post
      Yea so far I have read
      The Paleo Solution
      The Primal Blueprint &
      It Starts With Food
      If you want ideas for more reading, so far I have read:

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek
      Wheat Belly by William Davis
      why we get fat and what to do about it by Gary Taubes
      Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
      The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
      The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain
      Could it be B12? by Susan Pacholok
      The Meat Fix by John Nicholson
      The Fibre Menace by Konstantin Monastyrsky

Still reading:
      Trick and Treat by Barry Groves
      The Vitamin D solution by Michael Holick
      The Primal Connection by Mark Sisson

Still to read:
      Pure, White and Deadly by John Yudkin
      The Great Cholesterol Con by Malcolm Kendrick
      Devil in the Milk by Keith Woodford
      The art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney and Volek
      Vitamin K2 and the Calcium paradox by Kate Rheaume-Bleue

I didn't think that much of:
      UltraMetabolism by Mark Hyman, because he seemed to change his mind about whether carbs were in general good or bad, depending on what he wanted to prove. Put me off reading the other 2 in the series I'd bought. Maybe one day I'll be bored!
      Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
        Great to see you posting here Angelo. I have listened to probably all of your Latest in Paleo and This week in Paleo podcasts. I have also listened to Robb Wolf, Chris Kresser and UGWellness. Your podcast is very polished and very well put together. I am always entertained by the different segments as well as the "after the bell" segments. Thanks for what you do, Namaste!
        Heya, Balance -- that's awesome. Glad to hear you're enjoying the show. I'm about to start a sabbatical at work to focus on writing, recording, and some personal health challenges. So there should be much volume that what has been typical lately.

Namaste!

Comment

Originally posted by Angelo Coppola View Post
          Heya, Balance -- that's awesome. Glad to hear you're enjoying the show. I'm about to start a sabbatical at work to focus on writing, recording, and some personal health challenges. So there should be much volume that what has been typical lately.

Namaste!
          Excellent Angelo! I am really glad. I know you had a lot of stuff going on over the past 12 months and you couldn't put out as much material as you would have liked to. I am stoked about all the upcoming podcasts and blog postings. I know a lot of your listeners appreciate it as do I. Namaste
          "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Sometimes common sence has to prevail too. Why would they really need a proof. Wheat and HFCS are cheap. All that prime time (and all TV ad time) ain't cheap.
            One of the reasons i avoid watching tv as much as possible, commersials for fast and other processed foods followed by ad for a medication. Over and over and....

Comment

Critical logical thinking can take you far if you have a basic grasp of physiology and biochemistry. This stuff is always evolving with new data and theories so it does help to at least have a 101 level knowledge before diving into the minutia.

After that well cited blogs are good mainly because you can get to the primary research and see if you agree with the bloggers comments. A fun little experiment is to skip reading the blog and go straight to the citations and read the studies for yourself and come to some of your own conclusions. Then go back and read the blog with fresh eyes. This way you won't be influenced by their interpretation first.

Comment

Working...
              X