No announcement yet.

Got a bone to pick......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palefaux foods can fill a void and for that reason I'm all for them. I bake once every two months or so for a special occasion or holiday. Overall I'm not interested in palefaux and hate baking and can't be arsed to go through all of the trouble, but I'm not judging anyone else. I prefer plain-ish foods with fewer ingredients but we're all doing our own versions of this wol and whatever works, works.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

(Oh and I just coined the word palefaux so when I'm rich and famous someday for being a word coiner you can all say you were there when the magic happened)

Comment

I seriously love those vegan desserts. The ones I regularly go for at my food coop include:

Vegan cheesecake (I like the strawberry and raspberry, the crust is just pecans and the innards focus on coconut and cashews)
        Vegan brownie (basically just mashed dates, cocoa powder and pecans)
        Vegan chia pudding (again with the coconut and cashews plus chia seeds for that pudding consistency. I like the vanilla and lemon flavor)
        Halvah (not sure why this is vegan, but it's basically sesame and dates. I wish we still had the Greek deli with the real pistachio halvah.)

I also really like the coffee cup pastries you can make with just banana, egg, almond butter and some kind of flavor. I may one day try the equivalent pancake just for fun. I've made these with sweet potatoes instead of bananas too and it occurred to me it could possibly form a crepe or flatbread for some interesting recipes.

Even though I eat these things now and then it doesn't take away from anything. I feel best eating meats, sweet potatoes and vegetables but a treat now and then is delightful.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I think the criticisms (mine included) are about people making palefaux(tm) foods their dietary staples. Which I don't think is what many people around here are doing.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I don't see the harm in these things as treats (you know, a handful of times per year), but if you're eating "cheesecake" and "bread" and "pie" everyday, it's a paleo fail...

If it works for you and your goals, fine, but it's not really "paleo" per se....

I eat chocolate on a regular basis - 80 or 87% dark - organic cacao beans, organic cane sugar, organic cocoa butter and organic vanilla bean as the only ingredients... I wouldn't really consider it "paleo" either (I may or may not consider it "primal" - to me, it's a gray area)...

However, I'd much rater eat a couple of squares of my awesome chocolate than some faux pastry/bread, ANY day of the week, but *shrug* that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              No, after three years I do not feel even remotely compelled to eat Faleo foods. No nut flours, no anything. Yes, I have to eat canned fish and such. But if it has broken cells, I do not eat it. So don't think we're a bunch of bakers around here. To me grain free also means flour free and other processed malarkey isn't welcome into my body either. I eat meat, all kinds with spices and in good fats. I eat veggies, eggs, seafood, fruit including avocado, nuts and some other seeds like sunflower or pumpkin. I eat more dairy lately than I used to, but it's sitting well and causing no major issues. I eat so much of these great foods that I don't need fake food. Any of it.
              +1

exactly my feelings, to the letter. Although I eat little fruit

and I've been at it since the 80s (making weight to fight meant very low carbs)

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                palefaux(tm)

I agree, I don't think many here are making palefaux their staples. I too was a rawwie for a while (three miserable years) and the extremes so many went to to replicate complicated recipes was depressing and really took the joy out of eating raw. I don't see that here at all. On the contrary, I see mainly kiss recipes; meals celebrating the simplicity.

And if someone needs to eat palefaux cupcakes to transition to a cleaner diet, that's fine too.

Comment

When I was dancing with vegetarianism a little while back, I was also perplexed as to why Notdogs were a thing (and god were they awful). Some forms, like TVP crumbles, made sense (TVP does that on its own) but things like vegetarian bacon were beyond me. If it's bacon you want, eat bacon. If it's whatever vegan bacon is made from that you want, just eat that.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    I think the criticisms (mine included) are about people making palefaux(tm) foods their dietary staples. Which I don't think is what many people around here are doing.
                    That was my thought, it's too expensive and time consuming to be daily. I keep the ingredients around for celebratory occasions. I have no interest in "evangelical" cooking--I know I could feed non-Primal folk oil/sugar/wheat but I have no space in my cupboard for them, plus it seems dishonest to serve something I believe to be harmful.

The social-outcast aspect of this WOE really cuts deep sometimes, so folding my arms and pretending food has no cultural purpose just to win some grumpy-cat gold star seems tedious.
                    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I've always been against "healthy" substitutions of junk food. Junk food is junk and you don't need it. That being said there are plenty of traditional recipes that use nuts, dried fruits and honey and they are not imitating anything, they stand alone as delicious treats which I occasionally make, never to be considered staples.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I can eat these things in moderation but there are those that can't and they probably should stay away from baked goods, maybe not permanently but at least until they have adjusted to this WOE.

BTW every paleo pancake recipe I've tried has been yucky, they always seem to overcook on the outside before they are fully cooked on the inside. I've never cared for pancakes, I don't make them for myself but my family sometimes ask me for them.
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

You don't have to eat the "recreations." Why can't they be their own recipe and not just considered a knockoff of old recipes anyway? That's silly. There are zillions of ways to prepare foods, if someone wants to shape it into a cupcake, so what? Evangelical paleo purists sound as disturbed as religious and political fanatics, and are often the ones who tend to be unhappiest with their self-imposed confinements. Misery loves company, eh?
                        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                          You don't have to eat the "recreations." Why can't they be their own recipe and not just considered a knockoff of old recipes anyway? That's silly. There are zillions of ways to prepare foods, if someone wants to shape it into a cupcake, so what? Evangelical paleo purists sound as disturbed as religious and political fanatics, and are often the ones who tend to be unhappiest with their self-imposed confinements. Misery loves company, eh?

If a paleo cupcake is not an imitation, then a cupcake is a cupcake. Or you could just eat a real cupcake, wheat flour be damned.
                          Sandra
                          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

I think the point is not to eat them in excess. Culturally, things like desserts and breads are part of our meal traditions. We should not have to give up our cultural practices to eat healthier.

Nobody is saying to have a piece of cake every day, or eat gluten-free cereal for breakfast, gluten-free sandwich bread for lunch, and gluten-free pasta for dinner.

It's okay to have the imitations, and it's up to the person. It's not okay to tell other people that it's not okay, though
                            Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                            Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                            Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                            F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
                              If a paleo cupcake is not an imitation, then a cupcake is a cupcake. Or you could just eat a real cupcake, wheat flour be damned.
                              It's still a cupcake, just a different type of cupcake. I wouldn't give wheat the crown; it may be tasty, but other flours can be just as tasty. King Arthur makes GF boxed cakes that are kinda borderline primal/phd ingredients (white rice flour, potato, tapioca, etc.) if you stretch the guidelines and I swear they are the BEST cakes I have ever had in my life. Coconut flour and almond flour cupcakes are still cupcakes, even if they taste like crap. I hear almond flour was actually pretty popular in Europe centuries ago. I am not a huge fan myself, but some (weird, j/k) people prefer it. Shrug.
                              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                                Halvah (not sure why this is vegan, but it's basically sesame and dates. I wish we still had the Greek deli with the real pistachio halvah.)
                                OMFG I FREAKING LOVE HALVAH.

I haven't had it in YEARS. I wish I knew where to get some, other than ordering online. :3
                                yay!

Comment

Working...
                                X