Beyond Meat and Veg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Thanks. Never done anything but fry them before.
    I would guess he still frys them after that. Dont think eating the raw would be pleasant, i could be wrong though.

A lady friend of mine makes great fried plantains. Its not the plantains though its the garlic dip she makes. I believe its olive oil, lemon juice and mashed garlic mixed. Dip some salted, coconut fried plantains in that, yum.

Comment

I eat whatever the hell I want. 85% of the time that's primal in the form of meat/fat/veggies (including rice and potatoes). People get so wrapped up in the dogma they fail to realize that making better decisions is more important than making the perfect decision. When people first convert, they feel any deviation from what grok did translates to failure. Life's too fuckin' short. Eat whole foods, avoid processed grains and refined oils. That's it.
      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
        they feel any deviation from what grok did translates to failure.
        I think this happens with all food plans. The women in my family did pretty much every magazine diet through the 80s-90s and the first cheat always caused sobbing psychodrama. They would vacillate between "diet" cardboard and straight-up cardboard for months at a time. Primal is better since it tends to prevent frank deficiency, but I still see that all-or-nothing attitude of "i can't taste grandma's shortcake or it'll trigger a 3-month frenzy".

"The wind does not break a tree that bends" and all that
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Whether you use factory or grass-fed/wild, organic or conventional produce, even if it were true that all we eat are meat and veggies, there are tons of meat and veggie combinations:

Animals (as in anything not a vegetable) just off the top of my head that are available in all but the smallest of towns:

Beef/veal
          Chicken
          Pork
          Salmon
          Tuna
          Sardines
          Eggs
          Squid
          Cod
          Oysters
          Liver - even in smaller areas, chicken and beef liver are usually available.

Using any of those as a main dish paired with so many veggies available that no off the top of my head list could even make a dent, the combinations are many. Add a little rice/potato/sweet potato once in awhile to stretch a more expensive cut. Make stews and hearty soups. Casseroles. Experiment with some spices. Curries are pretty easy to make as are stir fries. Learn about squashes and roots.

If you want to splurge occasionally on things not sold locally, almost anything can be found online. It might be expensive, but realize that folks aren't lining up around the block for kangaroo tail (at least not in the U.S.).

So, beyond meat and veggies are meat and veggies - combined in ways that make them interesting. Play with your food!
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            So, beyond meat and veggies are meat and veggies - combined in ways that make them interesting.
            Brilliant.

There are also many obscure meats/vegis depending on your location if you get really bored. Octopus, liver, chicken feet, bone marrow, pigs feet, snails, bugs, duck tongue, duck head, duck hearts, pigeon, jelly fish, intestine, stomach, honey bees, sea worms, pig tail, ox tail, ox penis, fertilized duck egg, snake, monkey brain, donkey, dog...just to name some of the meat items.

Enjoy

Comment

I try to eat a variety of different meats, especially game meats. I consistently use a few vegetables, like onions, peppers, etc. in most dishes. I eat fruits randomly, when the mood strikes me.

A great plantain recipe is mofongo. Fried mashed plaintains, mixed with garlic and chicharrones (pork cracklings). If you can't get pork cracklings, use bacon instead. Mix it with some nice shredded pork or beef, and you have one hell of a meal.
              "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Comment

I have a friend that had a similar attitude, she tried to do paleo a couple of times, if she couldn't do paleo "perfectly" she thought she may as well not do it. I had to remind her not to let perfect be the enemy of the good. If she couldn't get/afford grass fed or organic she would skip a meal and then complain that she was always hungry on paleo. I finally suggested she try the Perfect Health Diet.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I eat whatever the hell I want. Yes, when I cook for myself its MOSTLY meat, and veggies but its a broad range.

The list of things I avoid eating is a lot shorter...wheat, corn, soy, seed oils, legumes, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners. Everything else is fair game. In moderation.
                  Sandra
                  *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Working...
                  X