Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allergic to nuts: What kind of Flour is OK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic to nuts: What kind of Flour is OK?

I have seen a lot about almond flour on here.

Unfortunately, I am allergic to almonds (and all nuts, most seeds, also wheat, rye, barley, oats...)

My flour choices are limited. I have used brown rice flour and potato flour before. I have heard of corn flour. Is a little bit of rice flour not so bad? It's not as though I eat baked goods all the time.

Also, tapioca flour. The gluten free bread I buy (Udi's) is made from that. Is that okay?

Again, I'm not a huge bread eater, but occasionally I like a bratwurst or a ham sandwich.

Any primal flour suggestions? That aren't nuts?
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Just keep a loaf of Udi's bread in the freezer for those occasions when you want a slice.

Comment

What do you need flour for? Bratwurst and ham are good all on their own
      Sandra
      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

If you end up baking bread, you will end up eating a lot more than an occasional slice.

Comment

At the moment, I am craving pizza.

Sometimes I like a baked good, is that such a crime?

Since I see a lot about almond flour on here, I guess that's Primal. I am allergic to almonds though. Looking for a way that I can have baked goods, while adhering to Primal diet. Without almond flour.
          Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

F/23/5'9"

Comment

This pizza crust is so good it is criminal NOT to eat it.

Comment

Can you handle coconut? If so, coconut flour makes awesome baked goods. It definitely has its own taste, but it's not overpowering or anything.

White rice flour is fine, but it doesn't always bake well on its own. I bought a loaf of rice flour bread once and it was pretty hard to eat. Brown rice flour poses the problem of anti-nutrients, lectins, etc., so steer clear of that.

Udi's breads are made with brown rice flour, canola oil, some weird corn derivatives, and a few other additives. You'll probably be fine if you eat it once or twice a month, but I wouldn't go beyond that.

Potato flour and tapioca starch are fine.

Comment

Ah, I have had coconut flour. It is my go-to for making banana bread. I will try that, although I must admit I never thought of coconut as a non-dessert thing. I think the Udis is different for different varieties. The one I have says tapioca flour and potato flour. I usually take sandwiches when I go on long hikes, and Udi's is the only non-disgusting-tasting gluten free bread I can buy off the shelf. And it freezes well.

Katherine, I will have to try the pizza crust too! It looks good (I love cheese....)

F/23/5'9"

Comment

Flours I suitable for starch eaters: white rice, sweet rice, tapioca, potato, arrowroot, and nixtamalized corn (masa harina).
                  | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

I am surprised there arent more people responding to tell you to just eat a steak. Guess thats paleohacks

The neutralness of tapioca and potato are good. Just dont let it guide you to the PSS

Coconut is ideal but it hard to get over the strong flavor and dryness.

If you are craving pizza, there is a paleo pizza recipe floating around that uses califlour as the crust.

Comment

You will be disappointed if you think any paleo-type flour substitutes will produce a bread that would fool anyone expecting something like wheat bread.

Comment

I was going to say tapioca and potato as well.

we make pancakes out of potatoes or sweet potatoes, so. Yeah. I don't use flour. I roast the potatoes, then get the goodness, then mix it with eggs and arrowroot powder, and then fry up.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                          I was going to say tapioca and potato as well.

we make pancakes out of potatoes or sweet potatoes, so. Yeah. I don't use flour. I roast the potatoes, then get the goodness, then mix it with eggs and arrowroot powder, and then fry up.
                          Dude, that's genius. Gotta try that!

Comment

I've baked brownies and other cakes with rice flour before, with great success. It gives my baked goods a bit of a chewiness but the resulting cake is quite light. I would think rice flour works better for baking that doesn't require much leaveners though.
                            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                              You will be disappointed if you think any paleo-type flour substitutes will produce a bread that would fool anyone expecting something like wheat bread.
                              I would have to agree with this. You can get a pretty good muffin/quick bread texture with alternative flours, but I have yet to find a pizza crust, pasta or leavened-type bread recipe that comes close to what wheat flour will give you. Some of them are quite tasty in their own right, but they're not very impressive as substitutions. Gluten has amazing biochemical properties. Too bad they come with a trade off.

I think if you're happy with Udi's and it's not a regular thing, it's probably not worth it to spend time on disappointing experiments.
                              50yo, 5'3"
                              SW-195
                              CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                              GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Working...
                              X