Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar or grains worse to cheat with?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sugar or grains worse to cheat with?

    Hey guys,

    Very new to eating primal. Have gone about 1 week. I have cheated a couple times, though I don't let it derail me and consider myself adjusting in to it. My question is whether - when I do cheat - it's worse to cheat on some grain or some sugar (ie. if I ate say an oatmeal bar, or some milk chocolate [like part of an easter egg I perhaps consumed earlier today] - which is worse?).

    Thanks!

  • #2
    Originally posted by carrotFlowers View Post
    Hey guys,

    Very new to eating primal. Have gone about 1 week. I have cheated a couple times, though I don't let it derail me and consider myself adjusting in to it. My question is whether - when I do cheat - it's worse to cheat on some grain or some sugar (ie. if I ate say an oatmeal bar, or some milk chocolate [like part of an easter egg I perhaps consumed earlier today] - which is worse?).

    Thanks!
    You're thinking about it the wrong way. If you're preparing to cheat, you're preparing to fail.
    Rebooted Body -- Ancestral Health + Modern Psychology | The Rebooted Body Podcast

    Comment


    • #3
      I have to disagree. As I said I'm easing into it, I would still like an answer.

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe 'cheat' with something of higher quality? Dark chocolate instead of a bar of snickers? Nuts instead of oatmeal bar?

        Whenever I get the feeling of wanting something close to grains or sugar, I try to get the least processed food, e.g. nuts, milk, dark chocolate, cheese... these are not part of what I eat daily because I tend to overeat or react negatively, but helps get rid of the craving.

        Comment


        • #5
          Grains, except maybe for white rice are bad in any amount.
          Processed sugar is not optimal, but imo harmless in small quantities.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah. What's with the double posts today?

            Comment


            • #7
              If it comes right down to sugar vs. grains, for me, sugar gets a pass. If it's in something I'm making, I use coconut sugar, maple syrup or, at worst, raw cane sugar before refined white sugar. Of course, you can't really do that with processed products, but you can avoid HFCS, so you should try to do that at all costs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Primal Blueprint since first week of Dec. 2012. Successfully avoided bread, cookies, crackers since then....fairly straight on the PB. However, when I "cheat", and I do cheat several (2 to 3) times a month..it is with ice-cream. I get pint container of the most organic-natural ingredient brand I can get.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I've not cheated on grains, just sugar, and will now plan to keep it that way. I will definitely get some better alternatives next time. Thanks again!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by carrotFlowers View Post
                    I have to disagree. As I said I'm easing into it, I would still like an answer.
                    If you want a bottom line, I would stick with cutting out wheat.

                    After a while your desire for excessive sugar will decline.

                    True story: I made a 'hot chocolate' with milk, cream, cocoa and about 1/2 an easter egg for my kids and all three of them thought it was too sweet.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                    Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                      If you want a bottom line, I would stick with cutting out wheat.

                      After a while your desire for excessive sugar will decline.

                      True story: I made a 'hot chocolate' with milk, cream, cocoa and about 1/2 an easter egg for my kids and all three of them thought it was too sweet.
                      Thanks. Haha. I've gone off sugar in the past but never grains, I know how much sweeter things can taste when you don't have it usually. It's the grains I think is my stronger enemy. Was always a grains person more than a sugar/sweets person.

                      Feeling positive.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cheat with sugar -- not wheat or similar grains.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think it depends on what your triggers are. For me it's sugar. Give me a sandwich (grains) and I'll say "*contented sigh* that was pretty good". Give me something sweet, however, and I'm suddenly spiraling into a binge looking for more. More. MORE!!!!
                          --Trish (Bork)
                          TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                          http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                          FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Considering grains turn into sugar in the body... This question doesn't make much sense.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Grains are worse. Sugar is just a carb... when I put sugar in something I note it in my calorie tracker, and keep track of my carbs so I know exactly how much I'm getting. But wheat has all those great inflammatory properties that you don't want.
                              Out of context quote for the day:

                              Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X