gassy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KT79 View Post
    You may want to get your magnesium levels checked. I have low magnesium, and if I forget to take my supplements, I have gas and constipation issues.
    I take Mg supplements to help with that. It helps prevent constipation, but I still get gassy.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinNM View Post
      I'm of the belief that you are not SUPPOSED to have gas.
      I wonder about this-- how normal is it to have lots of gas?

Comment

Originally posted by Salina13 View Post
        Since I've been doing ketogenic eating, I rarely get gas anymore. Cutting out gluten and dairy was the first step but I still had the occasional bloating and I think it was from certain vegetables and too much fruit. I still eat alot of vegetables but its mostly dark, leafy greens like spinach and kale, tomatoes, romaine, black olives, avocados, hearts of palms, carrots, mushrooms and sometimes broccoli.
        If I do eat broccoli, I don't go overboard on it because it definitely lends to the "rare gas" events.
        Some of us just have EXTREMELY sensitive digestive systems and it sucks and takes alot of time to find out what needs to be eliminated to control certain issues.
        I find that wheat, nuts, dairy make me a bit bloated, but not on the same level of gas as veggies. Perhaps I should cut out fiber altogether and see.

Comment

I'd nix the dairy entirely and see how you do for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by girlhk View Post
            I find that wheat, nuts, dairy make me a bit bloated, but not on the same level of gas as veggies. Perhaps I should cut out fiber altogether and see.
            I agree with RobinNM that gas is not fatal but it is not really normal either.
            Have you explored the "Gutsense" website? There is also a book called Fiber Menace by the same guy. I recommend both.

I really think that we manage with our symbiotic colony of gut flora to get through fibrous foods but I really don't think we need them for any particular reason.

Since moving to a largely animal based diet with only incidental condiment veggies, my digestive system has never been happier.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              I agree with RobinNM that gas is not fatal but it is not really normal either.
              Have you explored the "Gutsense" website? There is also a book called Fiber Menace by the same guy. I recommend both.

I really think that we manage with our symbiotic colony of gut flora to get through fibrous foods but I really don't think we need them for any particular reason.

Since moving to a largely animal based diet with only incidental condiment veggies, my digestive system has never been happier.
              Paleobird, I remember your thread about carnivorous diet, and was very much intrigued. I did notice on days where I have little to no fiber, I have no gas nor bloat. But I've never fully adopted it as I always thought we needed certain nutrition from veggies.

I have read Fiber Menace, and since then have cut down fiber intake, but it seems that even a little causes gas for me.

Comment

Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                Paleobird, I remember your thread about carnivorous diet, and was very much intrigued. I did notice on days where I have little to no fiber, I have no gas nor bloat. But I've never fully adopted it as I always thought we needed certain nutrition from veggies.

I have read Fiber Menace, and since then have cut down fiber intake, but it seems that even a little causes gas for me.
                I really think the "eatyourhealthyfibrousveggies" mantra is just the last bastion of CW after we have already seen through the "eatyourhealthywholegrains" thing.

If I eat any plant matter now it is because I actively want to, not because it's "supposed to be" good for you.

Comment

I agree with you PB, my digestion is smoother and quieter and less aromatic when it's mostly meat.

Problem is, that shift to a (mostly) carnivorous diet did take some adjustment time, and part of that adjustment was likely a mass die-off the gut flora that likes fiber and starch, good and bad.

So if (for whatever reason) you add more than a little starch and fiber back into your diet, it's going to be a fiesta for any of those surviving bacteria, and and real bummer for your guts if none of those little guys are around to help move things along.

Often it's a little of both, the good bacteria are busy reproducing, but they haven't reached a mass that'll be beneficial to shuffling that new waste on down the line in a timely manner.

So, like the OP adding starch back in after a long period without, one can bloat and get gassy. No getting around it, but it tends to be self-regulating given enough time.

All that said, gas IS normal. We can debate about the quantity (and quality!) of it, but it's a fact that gut flora produces gas as a product of their life cycle, and it has to come out eventually. Lets just be glad it comes out exhaust instead of the intake.

Comment

Working...
                  X