Sardine selection question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sardine selection question

I'm off to buy some canned meats today and I'm going to get some sardines in oil. What about the sardines in mustard sauce, tomato sauce and smoked oysters? I want to avoid appetite fatigue and that is hard right now as my home is filled with enough grains to feed off of for 6 months. Not kidding either.

My favorite is Beach Cliff brand Herring Steaks in Louisiana Hot Sauce. Yum.
    28..jpg

Comment

Do you like sardines? If not - you should definitely start with the boneless skinless variety. Otherwise, you'll have a cupboard full of tins you won't touch. I've found the Italian, Portuguese and Spanish brands of canned fish in general to be superior.

Oh - that reminds me. Here you go: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/301739

Comment

I had a can of the sardines in water a couple nights ago. I put my own spicy mustard (and some habanero powder of course). In general I'd rather just have the fish in water and avoid the other crap that they put in with them. Sauce seems to be just a delivery tool for HFCS in everything these days.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I got lucky and found cheap tinned herring steaks at my butcher that come in a spicy mustard sauce. Vinegar, mustard, turmeric, salt, and one or two other things I don't remember offhand...but NO NASTIES like HFCS! Praise be!

Comment

Most of the flavored varieties contain some quantity of undesirables, like HFCS, sugar, or preservatives. The oil-packed varieties tend to be in soybean oil. So, I usually buy the water-packed types.

BUT, if you won't eat the plain ol' water-packed ones, I'd venture a guess that the mustard/hot sauce/whatever varieties aren't too terrible. Could be a case in which the benefits outweigh the cost.
            Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies! Very helpful with the link ( thanks Suki ) and if I can find the beach cliff Herring steaks I'll get some of them. Oh, and yes I have eaten sardines. Mostly back when I was in the military. Some how smoked oysters and sardines in mustard always found there way to the field. Only thing is they always went with club crackers.
              Speaking of, any reason smoked oysters are on the no touch list?

Comment

I buy boneless/skinless packed in water, and then mix with my own mustard and hot sauce.

Comment

Regular (with skin & bones) in olive oil. I had some packed in water over the weekend. Yuck. I'm not a huge fan anyway, but I try to eat 1 can a week.

Comment

Originally posted by desertland View Post
                    Speaking of, any reason smoked oysters are on the no touch list?
                    Are they on a no-no list?

Every time I look at them, I see 5-7g carbs/serving on the label and pass them up in favor of a 0-carb canned seafood.
                    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I get boneless-skinless in olive oil. Crown Prince is usually the brand. I was getting them in tomato sauce for my dog (they're cheaper), but noticed that the sauce included soybean oil as well, yuck! So read the label.

Comment

Well I came back with a small sampling at one local store.
                        King Oscar sardines in olive oil.
                        Brunswick herring fillets in lemon & cracked pepper and one in tomato & basil sauce. Though I notice the tomato one has modified corn starch and sugar listed.

Comment

My best place to get tinned ---canned---sea food is http://www.hotpaella.com/Departments...-and-Tuna.aspx

All sorts of anything that comes out of the ocean. Octopus, Squid, Mussels, Clams, Oysters, etc. even ink for squid in ink.
                          Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

I've been trying out some tuna alternatives (salmon is really nice, but a bit too expensive for regular consumption), so I bought sardines in water and sardine fillets in olive oil from Waitrose. Can you eat the whole sardine? For instance I removed the spine from the sardines in water though in one case I didn't remove it properly so I got a bit of a crunch, but it wasn't unpleasant. Also the sardine fillets in oil looked really weird, like they had been sandwiched together and I couldn't discern what part of the animal it actually came from (there was lots of discolouration).

Thoughts?
                            http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

I get the Brunswick Sardines in Olive Oil... because they are the lowest sodium I can find and I have to really restrict sodium so I can't eat them often. I prefer the smaller "bristlings" in olive oil made by another company... but more sodium sooooo.

I would never consider eating them without skin and bone intact... but that's just me. Yes, you can eat it ALL. (I've even had whole pack sardines with heads on before.)

Sardines are canned under pressure... it may squish them a bit... just eat them.

And now I feel a sudden urge to eat sardines for some reason...
                              Last edited by cori93437; 03-13-2012, 11:02 AM.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                              X