No Chicken?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Chicken?

I'm only on my 3rd week of PB and I was wondering, is PB anti-chicken? I'm trying to figure out the best and easiest way to get my protein daily and I'm not a huge fan of bacon or pork in general and that seems to be what most of you guys live on. I'm more of a chicken and fish (and eggs) kinda girl with a burger and steak thrown in once or twice a week. Can I still make this work?

PB is not anti-chicken, but the focus is on grass-fed fatty meat. CW glorifies the skinless boneless chicken breast which has zero fat and to many, zero flavour. You can still eat chicken (I certainly do) but you will then need to either eat less lean cuts or incorporate fat in another way into your chicken meal to get enough fat.

Comment

Sure. The thing to remember is that you don't have to eat steamed chicken breast. Use the whole bird, and learn to love the skin. It's not hard to do. If you can't even stomach the skin, try to get some fat from other sources. Coconut and avocado work well for that.

Comment

I eat plenty of chicken. Mostly thighs... I often buy the ones that are already boneless/skinless since my husband doesn't like bones in his meat, so I try to cook them in plenty of fat to make up for not eating the skin. I occasionally roast a whole chicken (or even a whole turkey) which is a relatively cheap way to get enough meat for several meals!
        "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

It is quite easy to be eating too much protein and too little fat on a chicken and fish diet. I suggest you cook your chicken and fish in fat (such as tallow or coconut oil) or find ways to add significant fat (such as adding spoonfuls of coconut oil to salads).

Comment

Originally posted by Pantera View Post
            It is quite easy to be eating too much protein and too little fat on a chicken and fish diet. I suggest you cook your chicken and fish in fat (such as tallow or coconut oil) or find ways to add significant fat (such as adding spoonfuls of coconut oil to salads).
            or spoonfuls of coconut oil directly into your mouth, seriously easy way to add fat.
            I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Today I had chicken breast, but it was cooked in bacon fat and SMOTHERED in a pan sauce I made with the pan juices, a bit of white wine and heavy cream. Mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm!

We eat chicken often, but mostly whole roasted chickens, and I buy bone in skin on thighs. Funny how the breasts are so much more exspensive, but so much less flavorful.

Like pp's said, use tons of butter, coconut oil, bacon fat, or coconut milk or heavy cream and you'll be fine!
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

Not my favorite, but when I do, it's thighs or drums.

Comment

Definitely on the thighs and drums here. If you want to really up the fat, try making confit where you poach in fat - butter/ghee or lard or whatever - slow cook them and you'll have deliciously tender fatty, tasty, energy packed chicken.
                  My primal journal
                  You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
                  In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Thank you all! I do use coconut oil almost every day, to cook my eggs and salmon mostly but I am going to incorporate it much more. Not easy hearing I can have chicken skin, YUM as I am surrounded by a lot of folks (especially in the gym) who keep telling me to eat... Instant oatmeal, egg whites, skinless white meat only chicken, tuna from a can & protein shakes... and "I'll lose all the weight I want!" I know that works because I've done it in the past but man is it torture to choke some of that down every day!

Comment

Mmm I'm a fan of whole roasted chicken! I love roasting a whole bird, then hubby and I eat the legs/thighs wings, he'll have some breast meat too, but then we save most of the breast meat for salads. The only way I find chicken breast interesting is if it's incorporated with a big green salad with homemade dressing, or in "chicken salad" with homemade mayo/walnuts/celery/etc. Eggs are also a staple for most of us
                      You are what you eat,
                      and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

I like chicken as long as it's kept very moist. Nothing turns me off to chicken more than getting a dry chewy breast that was cooked with the skin off and has no taste to it at all. Back in my low fat days the breasts were my favorite part. These days, it's the drumsticks that I like best.
                        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Wings and livers for me please!!!!!!!!!!! chicken is so tasteless, even the free range ones i can get unless i add salt before i roast it, at which point i like it for the salty skin as opposed to the chicken itself...
                          Get on my Level
                          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

As a good Peruvian boy, I love chicken! I eat it quite often I would say and mine is never dry or tasteless. I have a simpler palate than most though. I have mine today cooked alongside some bacon for fat and a handful of spinach for greens. Popeye status.
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Dr. Kurt Harris recommends focusing on ruminants due to the higher PUFA's (polyunsaturated fats) in chicken and pork. I stick to bacon as a side dish and eat chicken only occasionally, usually the thighs and liver.

I also make a mean "zero carb cream of chicken soup": Heavy cream, Kerrygold Irish butter, and shredded chicken thighs

Comment

Working...
                              X