Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ketosis - an on-off switch, or a dimmer switch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketosis - an on-off switch, or a dimmer switch?

Ok, I've never gotten my carbs low enough for ketosis. But I'd like to try it out. But thinking about it left me wondering:

Is ketosis like an on-off switch where you're either "in" ketosis or not? Where X grams of carbs per day will put you in Ketosis, but X+1 will drop you out? If so, how frequently can you jump in and out? Can you be "in" one day, "out" the next, then "in" again the next? Or does it take a while for your body to switch? 3 days? A week?

Or is there a gray area where you can be half-way "in" ketosis?

And finally, is obvious (to you? to others?) when your body switches in or out? Do you feel it?

Just to be clear, I'm not "worried" about any of this, it was just something I was thinking about while bored.

NeoPaleo, my take is that it's an On/Off switch. I am not sure if it changes once your body becomes keto-adapted though. Molecular Grokologist mightbe able to help here.

I notice that I am on ketosis when I feel sort of a metallic taste in the back of my tongue. Another indicator is feeling great.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

I'm interested as well...I'll be standing by.

Comment

each persons body determinesketosis differently...some people can dop in ketosis at the blink of an eye while other seem to take forever and have trouble staying there.

kinda like some people can top 100g carbs a day while others go ZC. might have something to do with inulin sensitivity andresistance as well
        Get on my Level
        http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'll opt for dimmer... I seem to go in and out of ketosis quite easily and frequently, which now that I'm thinking about it seems like a good thing and I hope it continues! I don't monitor my carbs closely, but I usually eat the same foods each day. I usually have a feeling I'm in keto, although I have been wrong. Once in a while, I use Ketostix, but I don't obsess over them - I'm just curious, and I like peeing on things. My carbs are usually under 50g a day during the week, on the weekends, I'm more lax in tracking my food intake (unless I'm IFing lol), but I usually try to avoid carbs and tell myself okay, if you pig out, you pig out, just don't do it on carby foods.
          "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -- Virginia Woolf

Comment

dimmer here too
            challenge yourself
            i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think I read somewhere that people often go into ketosis when they are asleep when the previous meal has been digested. Can't guarantee the truth of that. I'm inclined to the dimmer theory myself, but it's just a guess.
              My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

How do you know if you are in ketosis or not?
                A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I go for the dimmer too - I've read in many places that if you're low carb and so have easy access to your fat stores, you'll naturally slip into ketosis as you 'fast' every night. If you eat dinner at 6pm and breakfast at 7.30 that's 13 hours without food.
                  My primal journal
                  You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
                  In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Ketosis is determined by availability of liver glycogen. Once you're out of liver glycogen, your body starts getting into ketosis with organs switching fuel, gluconeogenesis occurring, ect... takes about 3 weeks to FULLY adjust. Once again, this is also dependent on the person.
                    sigpic
                    In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Going from conventional eating (full sugar, lots of carbs) to deep ketosis takes me about 3 days of very low carb. Once I'm eating low carb, I can have a higher carb (150 day) in which I slip "out" of ketosis (meaning that no ketones are registering on my urinalysis strips) and then by the end of the following day of very low carb, I can be back to deep ketosis. For me, it's like a dimmer because I the "level" of ketosis depends a lot on how well I ate that day and the day before and when I measure my ketones.

Bushrat- I use ketostix. You can buy them at any pharmacy (in the diabetic supplies section). You put them in your urine stream and they register the amount of ketones spilled in your urine at that point. There's a scale on the back that you compare it to which tells you if it's negative (not in ketosis) or if there are small or large amounts of ketones present in your urine.

Comment

I've been having "keto breath" now since my first week Primal. I really like it (not so much the breath, but the presence of it), it lets me know that my body is using mostly fat to get it's energy.. I'm probably below 75 or so carbs per day.. I'm going hard for fat loss (dropped 10lbs overall in my first month).

Comment

To add to the previous post, there's no need to buy ketostix or any measuring technique because most are inaccurate at best. I could manipulate ketostix results with water intake. Go based on feeling, smell of urine, smell of breath, and diet... Ie your body is the best measuring tool
                          sigpic
                          In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Hmm. Well it's a state so I'm going to say there's an on-off switch.

The body can only store a two-day supply of glucose in the form of glycogen so, I guess depending on whether or not there is a resistance to insulin, most people should be able to enter / re-enter ketosis in two days (less if you didn't consume enough carbs to completely replenish those stores).

To me, a dimmer implies that your body is in partial ketosis - sometimes burning fat and sometimes glucose - and there's no such thing as partial ketosis.

Comment

Originally posted by EGYnutrition View Post
                              To add to the previous post, there's no need to buy ketostix or any measuring technique because most are inaccurate at best. I could manipulate ketostix results with water intake. Go based on feeling, smell of urine, smell of breath, and diet... Ie your body is the best measuring tool
                              I agree that ketostix aren't necessary. However, they help me because they're a visible daily reminder that I'm doing the right thing...especially when the scale isn't moving and I'm tempted to get discouraged.

Comment

Working...
                              X