"Paleo" meat vs. regular meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Paleo" meat vs. regular meat

I know that the ideal for paleo is grass fed organic meat. Or atleast thats what I seem to recall at this time.

That stuff is rather expensive though. How much of a problem is it if I'm eating regular meat instead? What about just organic?

How can I be more cost effective on meat?

Red meat is good.

Grass-fed is better.

All a matter of degrees.

Comment

I buy smaller quantities of the best I can afford and eat lots of cheap cuts

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
        Red meat is good.

Grass-fed is better.

All a matter of degrees.
        +1 for FW, +1 for Chris Kresser
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Conventional meat has a slightly worse O3/O6 balance than grass-fed. Conventional also has considerably more fat compared to grass-fed.

I think conventional + a capsule of omega-3 is more or less the same as grass-fed, nutrition-wise, if you adjust for fat amount.

This position, however, is commonly thought of as heresy, so beware :-D

Comment

Depends on how much leeway the phrase "more or less" provides. There's the CLA issue, and a few others. But you're better off eating conventional meat than conventional bread.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Can you skimp on something else first? For example, plain 'ol store brand frozen veggies are much less expensive than fresh organic veg.
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Cheaper cuts - local grassfed offal is likely cheaper than supermarket industrial steak.

fish, eggs, etc. also are cheaper alternatives to meat.

Comment

yes and things like hearts, shin bones (delicious) and flank are often really cheap

rather eat grass fed cheaper cuts than CW fillet

Comment

This is a question near and dear to me now, as I am both hungry and broke.

My solution to it has been to move to cheaper cuts of grassfed meat - ground meat, for instance, or a giant chuck roast that will last me about two weeks of lunches/dinners. I've also started doing more salads (often with uncured/pastured bacon or organic chicken as toppings), and more meals with veggies as the main course (spaghetti squash, avocado salad, gigantic batch of roasted asparagus). And eggs - if you're broke and paleo, eggs are your best friend.

(Though, I recently experimented with scrambling eggs with bacon and cheese and veggies to near-done, freezing, and nuking for weekday mornings, and the result was terrible. I suggest either getting up earlier if you like eggs for breakfast, or switching to some other non-meat breakfast option. In summer I like coconut milk/fruit smoothies, or berries and cream. And cold bacon all by itself is amazingly good; add an avocado to that and you're set for hours.)

Comment

I eat loads of different cabbages, I absolutely love them, black pepper and butter hmmmmm nice

makes meat go much further if you eat loads of greens and they fill you up

Comment

Originally posted by merryish View Post
                        if you're broke and paleo, eggs are your best friend.
                        Amen, sister!
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I struck lucky and found a great cheap source of eggs through a church hall, them get them off a farm nearby, totally organic, corn free and dirt cheap - 40% cheaper than battery eggs in the supermarket, long may it continue as I;m eating about 24 a week

that;s the kind of deal that can make money go much further if you can find it

likewise my beef supplier chucks a few lbs of butter in my box because he knows I cook with it and add it to the meat, saves me a good few pounds a week

tough doing paleo on a budget

Comment

Originally posted by Zackmoses View Post
                            I know that the ideal for paleo is grass fed organic meat. Or atleast thats what I seem to recall at this time.

That stuff is rather expensive though. How much of a problem is it if I'm eating regular meat instead? What about just organic?

How can I be more cost effective on meat?
                            You've been eating 'regular' meat this long...its not the worst thing in your diet. Removing seed oils, and refined foods made with them, will balance your O3/O6 better than just switching to grass fed/organic. Switching to all 'paleo' meat is just tweaking, like organic vs non organic veggies. Eat it when you can get it, and don't sweat it when you can't.

However...we eat mostly our own game meat, and lots of grassfed, drug-free beef because we have access to it. The key to saving money is not buying little bits at a time...its buying a 1/4, 1/2 or whole animal cut and wrapped and putting it in your freezer. You'll pay less per pound for all cuts this way, than buying the cheapest cuts of grass fed meat at retail, one cut at a time. Last night's beef tenderloin cost the same as the hamburgers the night before.
                            Sandra
                            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Working...
                            X