No announcement yet.

Dandelion root gets me high. WTF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sautéed! Yummy yummy in my tummy! I just back from my local farmers market with a big 'ol bag of 'em.

My Grandmother always made 'spring greens' from the various 'weeds' in the yard. Now I wish I had followed her around and had learned exactly what she chose and exactly what she avoided.

After a long winter of canned veggies from last year's garden these early fresh greens were a real treat in the days before year round access to mountains of 'fresh' veggies in the grocery store.
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Comment

I'm going to have to try picking some leaves as soon as the dandelions sprout up. It's been a long winter, but it shouldn't be long now. I'm really liking the idea of free food, too.

Comment

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
        Perhaps your dandelion was previously sprayed with Round Up?
        hahah

Comment

I'm gonna go pick me some dandelions now....

Comment

I often pick them wild in the park near me, also buy them at store. Now going to try digging up a root! They are in the chicory family which is generally beneficial and I try to include it often (endive, etc.). I drink chicory coffee, too.

Comment

I have LOADS of dandelions growing in my garden - and I shall be using them more and more... Also ground elder, nettles, jack by the hedge, and sorrel. Wish I knew more about wild foraging.What is good - and what is not.

Comment

this thread probably made dandilion root consumption skyrocket.

Comment

Knifegill told me the same thing about drinking spinal fluid from the lab... He's right!
                  6'1" 30 y/o male
                  June 2013 - 310+lbs
                  April 2014 - 230lbs
                  "The great and powerful Trixie doesn't trust wheels"!

Comment

No drinky people juice!
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Jenna H View Post
                      I'm going to have to try picking some leaves as soon as the dandelions sprout up. It's been a long winter, but it shouldn't be long now. I'm really liking the idea of free food, too.
                      You know you've been doing a lot of pickling when you read "picking" and think it was "pickling" instead, and then wonder what pickled dandelion roots taste like...

Comment

Well, if you pickle some dandelion roots you'll have to let us know what they taste like.

Comment

It'll be quite some time before we get around to it. Knifegill and I only just got our three pickling jars, and we're already making pickles and pickled carrots in two of them. They take about a month to ferment, and I definitely want to pickle green beans, beets, and sauerkraut before I try something like pickling dandelion roots. So, unless we get more pickling jars, it'll be months before we've got a jar for dandelions. We'll certainly update when we make them, though!

In the meantime, it looks like people already are pickling them, and liking it! Recipes - Pickled Dandelion Root - from MB Spice Co Pickling Dandelion Roots | Michelle and Vita Adventures

This person made kimchi with the leaves. Interesting! Fermentation Support Forum • View topic - dandelion kimchi

And, this person pickles the flower buds! Herbs and wild foods recipes from Cedar Mountain Herb School

Comment

@Aldergirl, I note that the links you put pickle with vinegar. You use the word ferment, so I am assuming you do the same fermented methods that I do. I want to try fermented asparagus if I can find a source of REALLY fresh stuff. It should be great! But I'm not sure about trying dandelion root! Let me know if you do!!!

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't find any that weren't pickled in vinegar. It seems a lot of recipes for pickling are in vinegar, rather than a natural ferment. I'm hoping/thinking that they'll taste just as good, if not better, if naturally fermented in a brine. I know pickles and sauerkraut are better that way, so I'm assuming that dandelion root would be, too. But, I don't know!

Comment

Originally posted by Aldergirl View Post
                                Yeah, I couldn't find any that weren't pickled in vinegar. It seems a lot of recipes for pickling are in vinegar, rather than a natural ferment. I'm hoping/thinking that they'll taste just as good, if not better, if naturally fermented in a brine. I know pickles and sauerkraut are better that way, so I'm assuming that dandelion root would be, too. But, I don't know!
                                I DO know. The answer is, no, they won't. I've tried three times and dandelion does NOT like to be fermented! Do NOT attempt unless you have a taste for pain.

I love, LOVE, natural bitter flavors and dandelion is a fine example, but fermentation does not combine well with this.

As I said, I've tried three times and to iced a few things:

a) It comes out with the consistency of spinach boiled for several HOURS. The leaves are too thin that they get mushy rapido! Ugh. And NO amount of salt can save them. Each time I tried I added more and more salt to supposedly keep them crispier, did nothing.

b) They came out at least ten times as bitter as the fresh leaves. And as I said, I love my bitter tastes! I mean hell, this is a guy who drinks unsweetened yerba mate almost daily. But this was... OMG, bitter, sour, all rolled up in one. And I tried fermenting with herbs too, but no amount of spicing could save them. I was brave enough to try it, and three times to boot, but I would not recommend this to ANYONE sane. I did the experiment so you don't have to.

Maybe, MAYBE if you fermented them as a small flavor component of a larger ferment, say a batch of sauerkraut, a single leaf in a jar of pickles, maybe in a pot of kimchi or something, they would work as a flavor ELEMENT. But as the main flavor? Bleagh! There there is a REASON no traditional societies were known to have fermented kale and I suspect it's much the same reason this stuff turned out pretty damn gross.

Edit: Saw a mention of fermented asparagus. Yes. YES! That stuff is awesome. THIS is what you should be making. Oh, and fermented okra. That shit is also epic.
                                Last edited by Drumroll; 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM.
                                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                                X