No announcement yet.

Dandelion root gets me high. WTF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The entire plant is edible. The flowers can be fried, like mushrooms. The leaves are good in salad. The root, when roasted, is used as a coffee substitute.

On the bright side, it grows like a weed (haha) in our yard.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I just eat the flowers on a non-stop basis. Handfull after handfull. Love the soft, buttery texture and earthy, bitter flavor. The leaves and root are definitely better cooked, but I have often eaten a few raw leaves if I'm out on a walk or something and see some nice, dark huge ones.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
        Perhaps your dandelion was previously sprayed with Round Up?
        yeah...this is what i was thinking too

Comment

One of our local grocery stores carry dandelion greens on occasion, in the spring and early summer. My postage stamp sized yard really doesn't produce enough to make a meal, so I've bought them on occasion. I blanch them and then saute them in a little olive oil with garlic. Pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
            Perhaps your dandelion was previously sprayed with Round Up?
            Who's going to pick and eat a dead dandelion?
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
              Who's going to pick and eat a dead dandelion?
              If you know anything about dandelions:

1.) they are impervious to any weed killing chemicals

2.) you need a post-hole digger to get one fully out of the ground

Summary:

DANDELIONS WILL ONE DAY TAKE OVER THE WORLD, OXIDE!

Okay, so I lied about them not responding to weed killer, but Knifegill's dandelion
              couuuuuuuuld have just been freshly sprayed, as I've noticed it takes about FOUR
              DAYS afterwards for the damn thing to die.

So see, it coulda happened......... it coulda.

~Anonymous

Comment

No, there are no chemicals here. We own five acres in the middle of nowhere. I dig them up with a shovel, roots the size of two or three carrots. Massive things.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Y'all should try eating a small spoonful of nutmeg once in awhile. It makes feel slow and see patterns in the carpet and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndChance View Post
                    Y'all should try eating a small spoonful of nutmeg once in awhile. It makes feel slow and see patterns in the carpet and stuff.
                    I can vouch for that !!!!!!!! mind blowing stuff ...............
                    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

I've read scary things about nutmeg. Overdose dangers, etc. I wouldn't even know how much to eat!

I do smoke catalpa once in awhile, though.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

You definitely won't overdose on less than a teaspoon, but you won't get mind-blowingly high off it either... although fair warning, sometimes I still feel kind of dopey the next day, like I'm on another level from other people (somewhere on the internet I saw it called "third eye lubricant" lol and that makes perfect sense to me when I eat it)... I've tried different "dosages" and the results are usually extreme thirst and the ability to do nothing for a long time without getting bored... it's a really nice complement to alcohol, on its own it's just kind of a poor-man's desperate attempt to feel altered... worth a try though!

Also, I'm definitely picking some dandelions once it gets warmer here...

Comment

I broke down and bought roasted dandelion root tea. There is not a live dandelion in sight here yet and I really want to try this tea. Not for the high, for the benefits. I swear ;P

Anyway, I figured this is the next best thing until the dandelions show up! And it's really delicious. Adding this to my "nice skin" arsenal
                          be the hair that knots with my hair
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Can I put it in my smoothies or does it have to be boiled in tea form for all the health benefits?

Or could I make tea out of it and then put the leaves in a smoothie?

Comment

I discovered last year that the roasted tea, though good for skin and pleasant, does not create the floaty feeling. Where in the planet are there no dandelions?

Treat the greens like any other. Fresh, blended, dried, it all works. And yes, you can make tea and then put the leaves into your smoothie.
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

BUMP for moar springtime dandelion fun!

Got dandelions in the pan almost daily now! Fried, boiled, raw, I'm just hitting it. Seasonal, so I'm not afraid of kidney stones and other chronic issues.
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X