No announcement yet.

Paleo Vs. Atkins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish there was a like button here to show how much I appreciate all these comments! I'm not going to quote anybody specifically, but thank you all for not "going off" on me for lack of knowledge, it really makes me want to be a part of this community, and not just do the "diet." Thank you to everyone who comments and gave info, I still need to do the reading, and I will so I can learn more and do this correctly. My first day went pretty well, and I didn't crave bad stuff too much, so it's seeming pretty doable, but it's the first day. I'll see you guys on other threads.

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
      ^ Excellent summary.

Everyone from Banting to Atkins to Taubes have been saying the same basic thing for 150years now, they are all correct. The best name is just to call it Paleolithic Nutrition and stop all the individual names people are slapping on it to try to become rich/famous.
      Banting and Atkins and Taubes have nothing to do with Paleolithinc nutrition.

Also, regarding "Atkins was right" . . . right about what? Like most people, he was right about a lot of stuff and wrong about a lot of stuff.

Comment

Atkins is a good plan. I don't care what anyone else says. He fought the fat-phobia and carb-o-philia when nobody else would and his message hit home with a lot of people. Yes, the company sells processed low carb products but they're not pushed in the way that slim fast, medifast, or nutrisystem hawks their stuff. The base of the plan is whole foods and the products are entirely optional. And eating an Atkins bar occasionally isn't the worst dietary transgression one can make.

Atkins and Paleo can be as different or as similar as you make them. I like the Atkins program and the structure of the plan from Induction to slowly adding more carbs and different foods. I just choose Paleo/Primal foods...which are perfectly Atkins legal as well.

Oh, and Dr. Atkins was right 40 years ago when he said eat animals and don't worry about animal fat. Dr. Cordain, Mr Paleo himself, only recently saw the light with regards to saturated fat. Just sayin'!

Also, regarding "Atkins was right" . . . right about what? Like most people, he was right about a lot of stuff and wrong about a lot of stuff.
        What was he wrong about?

Comment

i'm with angel on this. atkins gets flogged on here, i guess because they sell products. so does mark.

if some "doing atkins" choose to make it about eating pepperoni chips with cheese melted on top all day, that's their fail.

atkins brought me to primal. i've never had a bar or shake and eat only whole real foods. i feel and function best on a low-carb version of primal.

* * i am NOT a 25-year-old guy who needs to 400 gms of carbs per day to function effectively, ya know?
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Short reply to your friend's first point:
            Paleo/primal is NOT Atkins.
            Atkins is macronutrient ratios: starts VLC and increases carbs but stays lower than the traditional SAD
            Paleo is food groups and food quality, nutrient ratios can be whatever you want them to be.

good luck and enjoy the ride

Comment

Enough information about the Atkins diet is available for free on their website so that anybody could do it without ever buying a single product, even a book. Most people who discuss it and many who try it (or who think they are trying it) are entirely unfamiliar with its principles, not just the carb ratio targets for different phases but the part about eating enough vegetables. You run into this all the time on diet forums. I don't see any reason why someone who knows nothing about the Atkins diet would take part in an argument based on the fact that Dr. Atkins didn't end up being immortal.

Comment

Here's what I ate yesterday. Tell me if this is full of cholesterol or meets any of the crazy ideas anybody has about paleo being full of fat or lacking in carbs.

Breakfast:
                Coffee
                Cauliflower
                Can of salmon with skin and bones

Lunch:
                Sweet potato
                Grilled chicken
                Rooster sauce

Snack:
                Chocolate (some white, some dark)

Dinner:
                Smoked trout with skin
                Cheese
                Banana/egg/almond butter "muffin"
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaminokamen View Post
                  Hey I'm talking with my roommate, and due to my limited knowledge of Paleo, he is saying that I should stop because it is like the Atkins diet and the guy died
                  Everyone dies. Even people who eat right.

(Atkins died of head injuries)
                  be the hair that knots with my hair
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Angel, Noodleoy and eKatherine said it best.

I came here form an Atkins background as well. And yes, Atkins and Paleo ane not at all mutually exclusive. You can make both woes as similar or as different as you like.
                    IMO the reason Atkins has acquired somewhat of a bad name over the years is based on the many misconceptions. Many, many people who say they "have done Atkins" have basically only done the Induction VLC phase and eventually gotten bored and quit. Even worse, others say they "have done the Atkins diet" by gorging on meats, butter, eggs and cheese and nothing else. That's not what Atkins is. There are 4 phases to it for a good reason. People are supposed to gradually add carbs from whole foods till they find their level of carb tolerance. And some allowed foods such as legumes are purely optional. Same goes for artificial sweeteners. No one has to have those either.

I lost all of my excess weight on the initial 2 Atkins phases. I like the structure of the diet.
                    On the other hand I find Paleo/Primal optimal for maintenance and I love the only whole foods approach and the emphasis on fitness.

Comment

The same principles that Atkins relies on are detailed on this website; however, there appear to be plenty of people around here who reject this concept (CICO4evr, no added weight loss benefit from VLC or ketosis).

Comment

Originally posted by Kaminokamen View Post
                        ANYWAY! He is claiming that those on low carb diets are more weak and fragile because carbs = energy, and with less, you aren't as good as we have learned to be.
                        Tell this person to meet me for a workout session. He/she won't survive one of my "normal" workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by 0Angel0 View Post
                          What was he wrong about?
                          The idea that bodyfat-storage is driven by insulin, which is driven by carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by maurile View Post
                            The idea that bodyfat-storage is driven by insulin, which is driven by carbs.
                            You need to do a bit more reading up on basic biochemistry before we can even debate the role and degree to which insulin plays in this.

Comment

Originally posted by maurile View Post
                              Banting and Atkins and Taubes have nothing to do with Paleolithinc nutrition.

What's you're deal?

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                                What's you're deal?
                                Accuracy.

None of Banting, Atkins, or Taubes ever claimed to come at this from a paleo angle. Banting and Atkins were before paleo was a thing, and Taubes never uses evolutionary reasoning in his books.

Banting, Atkins, and Taubes are low-carb, while paleo is not. I mean, it can be; but it can also be low-fat. Paleo isn't about macronutrient ratios. There's a huge difference in the diets of modern "primitive" people, from the high-fat diet of the traditional Eskimos to the high-carb diet of the traditional Kitavans, and the same was very likely true of ancient primitive people. If anything, the Eskimos appear to be the outliers. Most of human history occurred near the equator, where diets were likely very high in carbohydrate content in the form of tubers and fruits. Grok did not follow Atkins.

Comment

Working...
                                X