No announcement yet.

"Calories in / Calories Out" -- Please Stop the Madness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the root of the issue is... as so many folks have said.... every body is different. Everyone reacts differently to different foods and lifestyles. I think we can all agree that the SAD sucks and is good for no one. So, if eating white rice and potatoes vegetables and meat makes you feel awesome... well... awesome... but if starchy carbs make you feel like crap.... awesome, don't eat em'

I wish it were as simple as CICO or CICO is bs. But, it's not.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
      honestly? i think it's funny as hell watching him get wound up. like a terrier with gum stuck on its back. can't quite get it, but it's driving him krazee.
      Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
      lmao - a perfect description.
      What's really funny is that Choco fought me tooth and nail on my calorie counting threads way back when, insisting that it was macro composition that mattered. In his opinion eating gobs of sweet potatoes was the answer and calories were irrelevant. Now he acts like he invented calorie counting.

Dear KimchiNinja,
      I am both the author or those infamous calorie counting thread AND a staunch believer in the VLC diet being the optimal one for me.

Every time this subject comes up, everybody takes one of two sides:

Extreme position one: Calories are the ONLY thing that matters. Macros are irrelevant.
      Extreme position two: Macros are the ONLY thing that matters. Just reduce carbs and you can eat as much as you want.

And then there is me saying hold the phone folks. Why cant it be some of BOTH not and either/or situation?

From personal experience I know that it is very possible to gain weight while keeping carbs near zero if you overeat total calories. I also know that it is easier *for me* to keep a rein on the calorie intake if I keep my carbs low.

So it is both. The quality of the calories (GCBC) helps to reduce the quantity of the calories. Both matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        What's really funny is that Choco fought me tooth and nail on my calorie counting threads way back when, insisting that it was macro composition that mattered. In his opinion eating gobs of sweet potatoes was the answer and calories were irrelevant. Now he acts like he invented calorie counting.

Dear KimchiNinja,
        I am both the author or those infamous calorie counting thread AND a staunch believer in the VLC diet being the optimal one for me.

Every time this subject comes up, everybody takes one of two sides:

Extreme position one: Calories are the ONLY thing that matters. Macros are irrelevant.
        Extreme position two: Macros are the ONLY thing that matters. Just reduce carbs and you can eat as much as you want.

And then there is me saying hold the phone folks. Why cant it be some of BOTH not and either/or situation?

From personal experience I know that it is very possible to gain weight while keeping carbs near zero if you overeat total calories. I also know that it is easier *for me* to keep a rein on the calorie intake if I keep my carbs low.

So it is both. The quality of the calories (GCBC) helps to reduce the quantity of the calories. Both matter.
        +1 ^this!

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
        My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
          You missed the point entirely. I know you badly want to demonize carbs in the name of your holy grail ketosis, but try to keep up. This thread should have been finished long ago. The fact it was even posted was pretty absurd.
          You don't even know me. I've don't think i've ever been in ketosis in my time on the blueprint, see what I mean by soapbox blindness.
          Well equally your romanticizing of carbs, your on some hero quest to save carbs from all the sinner paleo's, is something that gives me the shits. then the second someone questions or calls you out, you engage troll mode and stack another soapbox on top to get your voice higher. wake up mate. high Carb intake (particulary the empty ones) are one of the many contributing factors to obesity. Did you hear me, ONE OF, not THE ONLY (that goes for you to choco), hell it mightn't of even been your or mine or his or her's sticking point in their particular diet, but over all, high carb intake is a problem, just like low iodine intake, or excessive fat intake, or the amount of preservatives/contaminants in foods or how much modern foods are processed or genetically modified, or too much salt, ETC ETC ETC ETC. If you think its bullshit because you can bring up some half baked study, or twist the info on some website to suit your story like you did in this thread, go and read all the success stories and read the many others found on other sites and in forums. Varying any of the factors I mentioned above or others, could help you to lose the fat, varying carbs is just one of them, It might work or it mightn't, people just need to give it a crack and find out. STOP TELLING THEM THEY DON'T.

The reason people make silly posts like the OP did, is because of all you guys doing some big carb loving circle jerk, they feel the need to speak out against your bullshit.
          A little primal gem - My Success Story
          Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

• Originally posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
            high carb intake is a problem... If you think its bullshit because you can bring up some half baked study...
            No studies needed, I personally think it's bullshit because I eat more carbs now that I ever did before and I also weigh less.

Originally posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
            The reason people make silly posts like the OP did, is because of all you guys doing some big carb loving circle jerk
            What is a 'big carb loving circle jerk', because it sounds really awesome and I'd kind of like to try it at home
            Last edited by BestBetter; 04-03-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
              No studies needed, I personally think it's bullshit because I eat more carbs now that I ever did before and I also weigh less.
              So based on your n=1 and your n=1 alone, everybody should eat lots of carbs?

Comment

The reason people make silly posts like the OP did, is because of all you guys doing some big carb loving circle jerk, they feel the need to speak out against your bullshit.
                That's peer-reviewed, scientific bullshit to you, sir!

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  Yep, because BestBetter's results absolutely hold true for EVERYONE.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

When did I ever say that everybody should eat lots of carbs? Damn, you are really hoping for a fight here.

Comment

• Still waiting for a diagram of the carb-loving circle jerk. Maybe I'll try to improvise something on my own while I'm waiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by BestBetter View Post

What is a 'big carb loving circle jerk', because it sounds really awesome and I'd kind of like to try it at home
                        Altho you might like to think it, you are not the only person on the planet, others might find high carbs ONE of their problems with obesity.
                        Im like you, I don't have a problem with carbs, I eat them when ever I feel like it. This wasn't always the case tho, A high carb intake caused me major problems, I fixed that.

I can see both sides of the carb coin, I actually mostly agree with CICO and what choco and derp say. I just find it noble to defend the other side when they jump up on their soap boxes and start punching everybody up who wants to try or believes in a low carb diet.
                        Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM. Reason: paragraph
                        A little primal gem - My Success Story
                        Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

I actually mostly agree with CICO and what choco and derp say. I just find it noble to defend the other side when they jump up on their soap boxes and start punching everybody up who wants to try or believes in a low carb diet.
                          does this mean you like to argue - just for the fun of it ????????
                          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Just eat your pork and drink your butter and try not to think too much...
                            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                              Just eat your pork and drink your butter and try not to think too much...
                              Pork rind nachos!

Comment

I just find it noble to defend the other side when they jump up on their soap boxes and start punching everybody up who wants to try or believes in a low carb diet.
                                You're right, low carb dieters truly are the victim on this majority low carb message board. I don't think you realize there are only four or five people on this entire forum who routinely suggest raising one's carb intake, and it's almost universally in the context of advice to someone who's struggling. It's frustrating to watch people neglect the simplest possible solution because of an unnatural fear of glucose - a fear that's continually promoted by the greater paleo community.

Comment

Working...
                                X