"Calories in / Calories Out" -- Please Stop the Madness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timthetaco View Post
    ^ Wheat is real food, too. In fact, most eat-real-foodies eat wheat. If paleo were as simple as whole foods, it wouldn't be paleo.

/off topic
    How about "eat plants and animals, but not grasses".
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

That doesn't even work, because most of us eat rice. And you can't say some seeds are good while others are bad unless you get into anti-nutrients/prolamines and all that boring shit, which drives the message away from "eat real food".

WAPF can proclaim "eat real food" because they don't technically restrict anything. And that's mostly paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
        I guess if you ignore the billions of lean people who get the majority of their calories from carbs, sure. Oh, and the fact the fattest nation on Earth has the lowest carb consumption. Oh, and then there is myself:

http://i.imgur.com/mLpUv.png (bad DMV picture, but you get the point)

6'3 150lbs 400g of carbs a day minimum. A lot coming from that dreaded white sugar.
        Here is a great chart showing carb consumption Contribution of Carbohydrates in Total Dietary Consumption all the countries with the highest carb consumption who are thinner than those in the west are for the most part malnourished....
        Last edited by Dirlot; 04-02-2013, 09:14 PM.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
          Here is a great chart showing carb consumption Contribution of Carbohydrates in Total Dietary Consumption all the countries with the highest carb consumption who are thinner than those in the west are for the most part malnourished....
          But that clearly shows calories do matter, and it's not carbs that is making everyone fat, does it not? The USA has the lowest carb consumption and is by far the most obese nation in the world.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

Yep.

Daily Calorie Intake Per Capita

Low carbs, highest calories. Coincidentally, high obesity.
            Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
            https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
            MFP Food Diary:
            http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
            (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

LOL.
              Seriously..... "carbs" are not making Americans fat. The engineered foods are, and they have plenty of fat and carbs to pump up the calories.

Case in point- I get my coffee and the occasional chocolate croissant from a bakery near work. The clerk is overweight, but she has lost 70lbs in a year (still losing) by cutting out the processed foods and watching portions. And yes, she eats some breads and sweets in moderation.

Reducing carbs is a *brilliant* way to cut calories. But for most people, if they replace those carbs with new calories over time, they will not lose weight. Just like you can lose weight low fat, but once you replace those fat calories with sugar and carbs, the weight comes back on.

Mostly, you need to avoid foods engineered to make you want to eat an excess of calories- like a 2000 calorie bag of doritos.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                I don't understand paleo forums. This should be as simple as eating real food, but somehow everyone manages to complicate the hell out of something that is supposed to be intuitive and incredibly easy. I don't care if it's steak, potatoes, mangoes or almonds. It's all food. Eat what your body wants you to eat. If you want a potato but you're shoving bacon down your throat until the craving goes away because you're trying to live on some nonexistent carbohydrate curve, you're doing this wrong! If you have a craving for a specific type of meat, a strong fruit craving or a craving for starch, it's probably because your body is missing something in that food. Go with it instead of trying to adhere to artificial macros. Just choose real food sources - pork loin over hot dogs, potatoes over grains, fruit over candy.

Perfect.

Comment

^ Wheat is real food, too. In fact, most eat-real-foodies eat wheat. If paleo were as simple as whole foods, it wouldn't be paleo.

/off topic
                  How is wheat a whole food? You can't pick a stalk of wheat out of the ground and eat it. Each individual grain has to be hulled and then it has to be pounded (traditionally by rock) into a flour. And then traditionally, it's soaked and fermented for days to improve digestion. It takes literally days of processing to eat it. That's the very antithesis of a whole food.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                    But that clearly shows calories do matter, and it's not carbs that is making everyone fat, does it not? The USA has the lowest carb consumption and is by far the most obese nation in the world.
                    Jeez you guys are blind when you jump on your soap boxes.

Dietary Macronutrient Composition per capita
                    ^^^This link shows the carb and fat and protein daily everage ENERGY ratio's of the world. The carb percentages are exactly the same as in the "Contribution of Carbohydrates in Total Dietary Consumption" page that got referenced.

This link shows that the USA has one of the largest carb intakes in the world. I'll show you how by using a few calculations. we'll use the USA (one of the lowest carb PERCENTAGES) and the D.R. of Congo(the highest percentage of carbs)

49% of the USA person's 3770 kcals (average) is coming from carbs so:

0.49 * 3770 = 1847.3 kcals of carbs
                    1847.3 / 4 = 461.8 grams of carbs per day

80% of the D.R. of Congo person's 1590 kcals (average) is coming from carbs so:
                    .8 * 1590 = 1272 kcals of carbs
                    1272 / 4 = 318 grams of carbs per day

So there we have it derp the average American consumes more carbs than most of the world (I calculated out alot of countries) the only ones that beat the USA are the poorer (carbs are cheap remember) polar countries like russia that the contstituents would use alot of ingested energy on warming their own bodies.
                    A little primal gem - My Success Story
                    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

woops double post
                      Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 04-03-2013, 06:06 AM. Reason: double post
                      A little primal gem - My Success Story
                      Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

IMO and experience Choco is absolutely right.

It's not carbs that make us fat. It's the poor quality and the huge quantities we eat. Processed, "engineered" carbs that come from a factory make people hungry all the time and they constantly eat. Tons of carbs + tons of calories - physical activity = obesity.

You can't eat 200g. of baked potato carbs in one sitting. It will make you too full. On the other hand, I still clearly remember my KrispyCreme days.....

I've been all over the carbohydrate curve spectrum. All for prolonged amount of time. Calories always have mattered to me. Eating over certain amount = weight gain.

Comment

That doesn't even work, because most of us eat rice. And you can't say some seeds are good while others are bad unless you get into anti-nutrients/prolamines and all that boring shit, which drives the message away from "eat real food".

WAPF can proclaim "eat real food" because they don't technically restrict anything. And that's mostly paleo.
                          Sure you can. It just depends how much work you want to put into this. If you hate cooking and food prep and you're not a big foodie that just wants it easy (most of America), The Primal Blueprint works because of simplicity, and it's much easier for people to adhere to a simple "AVOID" list: grains, legumes, vegetable oils, refined sugars. Check, check, check, check. Simple.

Now, the WAPF is correct. You can eat properly prepared grains and they probably won't hurt you in reasonable quantities. But now you're including 1,000 different gray areas. White rice is fine, but brown rice isn't unless you soak it in buckwheat, reserve the water, store it in the fridge and use that as a starter over and over to remove phytate. Corn is bad, but non-GMO corn boiled in a calcium carbonate solution for hours, then dried and ground into masa harina flour is okay. Soy is bad, but fermented non-GMO gluten-free tamari is fine. Beans are bad, unless they're soaked, sprouted and pressure-cooked. Oats are bad, but not if they're non-GMO, soaked several times in buckwheat to remove phytate and fermented in lactic acid. Wheat is bad, but not if it's ancient Einkorn wheat, soaked, sprouted, the bran and germ hulled and fermented in lactic acid bacteria in an airtight jar for 72 hours...unless you're celiac in which case it's never OK. And it goes on and on and on.

Now you just made this the most complicated diet in history, and while you may have succeeded in removing most of the anti-nutrients, you're still consuming largely empty calories. They're not harming you, but they're not really nourishing you.

I do Primal*. The asterisk is for "modified." I eat meats, fruits, vegetables, roots and tubers, but I allow myself white rice and non-GMO corn tortillas (Ingredients: masa harina, water, lime [calcium carbonate]). And I rarely purposely eat them. White rice I almost never make, but I'll never refuse a dish based on rice if someone made it for me, and I will NEVER turn away sushi. I purposely buy Whole Foods organic corn tortillas and eat them every once in awhile. Good sugars I have zero issues with (honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, molasses) but I avoid HFCS and agave 100% of the time. That's about it.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
                            Jeez you guys are blind when you jump on your soap boxes...

...49% of the USA person's 3770 kcals (average) is coming from carbs so:
                            Dude...are you serious? You just told me that the average American is consuming nearly 4,000 CALORIES A DAY, and you go on a soapbox over carbs? Maybe it's not the carbs, but the fact that the average person sitting on their ass all day is eating like a PROFESSIONAL BODYBUILDER CALORICALLY? Hypocrisy much?

The average American is also getting 35% of their daily calories from fats. That is not a low fat/high carb diet. It is a high calorie, low protein diet.

Maybe the problem is we're consuming well over double the calories of the people in the Congo while simultaneously being much more sedentary?
                            Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-03-2013, 06:59 AM.

Comment

4000 calories a day, for a mostly sedentary population is going to lead to fat people, even if we are just eating 4000 calories a day of coconut oil. Of course, who the hell could eat 4000 calories worth of coconut oil?

But it's damn easy to get to 4000 calories a day eating cinnabon, drinking lattes and having value meals. Most people don't get fat because of fruit, rice and potatoes.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Consuming 4000 calories of coconut oil a day wouldn't make me fat. I'd be spending all my time on the toilet. It passes right through me.

Comment

Working...
                                X