Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conventional eggs okay if I toss the yolks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conventional eggs okay if I toss the yolks?

Eggs are one of my favorite foods, and we all know they're a great, cheap source of protein.

If I separate out the nasty yolks from conventional eggs, is there any reason to avoid them? I still include a few pastured yolks for good measure, but I like cooking up big frittatas with the whites only.

I'd still eat the yolks.

Comment

Gaaaah. Toss out the whites and eat the yolks.

Comment

why in the hell would you do that.

eat the entire thing. "conventional eggs" is a ridiculous term.

Comment

Can't make good frittatas with only egg yolks

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
            why in the hell would you do that.

eat the entire thing. "conventional eggs" is a ridiculous term.
            For the same reason people recommend trimming the fat on conventional meat?

Comment

Originally posted by Kilian View Post
              I understand the concept, but in the case of eggs you lose more than you gain. The nutritiousness in the egg yolk outweighs the altered fat profile from conventional farming IMO.

Comment

The yolks are not "nasty" - so I can't see any reason to toss them away, except that you want less energy from them! Yes, I also toss some of them out sometimes, but that's because I wan't more of something else into my diet...
                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Kilian View Post
                  I was wondering if that was your thought process. The problem is there's nutrition left in the conventional meat when you toss the fat. Egg whites are a good source of protein and not so much else. The yolk is one of the most nutrient dense foods you can eat. I think the benefits of even the worst supermarket egg yolks outweigh the risks. So one more vote for what Neckhammer and everybody else said.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                    The yolks are not "nasty"
                    Not nasty, but sort of pale and flaccid. A yolk from my local farmer, on the other hand, is a bright, beautiful yellow-orange orb of nutrition.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

The yolks are not "nasty" - so I can't see any reason to toss them away, except that you want less energy from them! Yes, I also toss some of them out sometimes, but that's because I wan't more of something else into my diet...
                      It is a personal preference to eat a higher carb/lower fat paleo diet. So in my case, tossing some of the yolks allows me to add more potatoes to my diet. Also, I think conventional egg yolks taste disgusting compared to pastured yolks. Same thing with grass-fed beef over grain-fed beef.

idk what I was thinking asking this question in high fat dogma land though....so nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                        Not nasty, but sort of pale and flaccid. A yolk from my local farmer, on the other hand, is a bright, beautiful yellow-orange orb of nutrition.
                        Must be in your place, here the yolks are still bright yellow...
                        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Must be in your place, here the yolks are still bright yellow...
                          Yeah, Supermarket-brand white-shelled eggs in my part of the world are sad facsimiles of the real thing.

To the OP: Egg Yolks aren't just a good source of fat and cholesterol. They're full of vitamin A and choline, which your potatoes lack. It's not high fat dogma, it's nutrient-density dogma. If you are positive that you have all your nutritional bases covered, then why even ask the question?
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                            Yeah, Supermarket-brand white-shelled eggs in my part of the world are sad facsimiles of the real thing.

To the OP: Egg Yolks aren't just a good source of fat and cholesterol. They're full of vitamin A and choline, which your potatoes lack. It's not high fat dogma, it's nutrient-density dogma. If you are positive that you have all your nutritional bases covered, then why even ask the question?
                            I asked the question because I wanted to make sure there wasn't any downside to consuming the yolks of sickly, grain-fed hens confined to cubicles all day every day.

I eat fish daily, and liver maybe once a week. Throwing out some yolks is not going to leave me malnourished, I assure you. I seem to recall somebody mentioning a study or stating that conventional eggs were shown to have a negative impact on blood lipids when compared to pastured eggs.

Comment

People can train themselves to dislike anything they desire to dislike. The idea that the yolks of supermarket eggs are "nasty" while the whites are healthful, whole food is rather contrived.

Comment

Working...
                              X