Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cons of a high protein diet? The face, skin and beauty on Primal diet

Dear Mark,

I recently read a book by well-known nutritionist Kimberly Snyder, called The Beauty Detox Foods, and in it she says “digesting animal protein creates all sorts of bi products in the body, like purines and ammonia products. These are absorbed into your blood stream and circulate through the body. When your blood is clogged with toxins it cant circulate as many beautifying minerals, and these toxins can age and clog the skin cells of your face. Furthermore, excessive protein consumption overworks the lvier and kidneys. Ammonia, which is a breakdown product of a high-flesh food diet, is a direct toxin to the body. It has been found to create free-radical damage and cross-linking (a process associated with wrinkles and ageing). Ketosis, which may result out of a low carb diet, makes the blood acidic. An acidic body tends to age faster. Take a look at people who are on high protein, low carb diets and see for yourself. These people tend to look “hardened” and older than they are, which is what I call the “old-skinny” look when the skin has lost all its youthfulness.”

Kimberly says that if you must eat animal protein, eat it once a day at the most and at dinnertime, so that during the day your body’s energy is not wasted on digesting animal protein and can be used for detoxing, cleansing and free to create beauty and energy.

I just wondered what you think of this? I know that the Primal diet is all about balance, but a lot of the meals at breakfast and lunch and dinner do focus on animal protein and I just thought i’d raise this controversial issue….!

Huh. I'm 58, female, post-menopause. Eat higher protein than most (usually @150x my LBW), lower fat than most and some carbs through vegetation. Skin clear? check. Hair strong and shiny? check. Nails strong? check. Body stronger than ever, leaner than ever, able to lift better? check, check, check. Blood acidic? nope. Moods more stable? check. More energy throughout the day? check. Happier in every way? check.
    I dunno--I'm gonna stay with PB...

Comment

sorry but sounds like a lot of mumbo jumbo to me

where's the science to support her claims?

ketosis is not the same as ketoacidosis which is a medical condition

drink celery juice if you are worried about acidic blood, known to be alkaline

I'm 99% paleo/primal, eat meat several times a day, with lots of eggs, butter and coconut fat, take a veggie juice and plenty of green leafy veg

look 30 yo, closer to 50 in fct

Comment

Interesting responses, thank you. I guess it is all about balancing the acid from meat with healthy veg and doses of green smoothies!

Here is a link to what i've eaten today on Fit Day FitDay Premium

I'm trying to gain a little healthy weight as I think i've not been getting enough carbohydrates, I exercise 4-5 times a week, weigh 55kg currently and am 5ft 7 and 24 years old. Since going primal and cutting out milk especially I have noticed my cheeks have become far less plump, I have barely any body fat! Would appreciate feedback!

Comment

She sounds like a pro-vegan. Science doesn't support her claim.

Comment

Food LogTotal NutritionCustom Nutrition GoalsNAME AMOUNT UNIT CALS FAT(g) CARBS(g) PROT(g)
            Totals 563 23.3 77.3 22.0
            Apple, raw 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
            72 0 19 0
            Seeds, chia seeds, dried 15 grams
            74 5 7 2
            Almonds, unroasted 4 almond
            28 2 1 1
            Apricot, dried, uncooked 1 half
            8 0 2 0
            Pumpkin and/or squash seeds, hulled, unroasted 6 grams
            32 3 1 1
            Milk, 2% fat (Kara Coconut Milk) 0.5 fl oz
            8 0 1 1
            Quinoa 30 grams
            112 2 21 4
            Avocado, raw 3 slice
            48 4 3 1
            Flax seeds 13 grams
            69 5 4 2
            Yeast 1 tablespoon, dry
            35 1 5 5
            Spinach, raw 100 grams
            23 0 4 3
            Tomatoes, raw 5 cherry
            15 0 3 1
            Pepper, raw 1 medium
            24 0 6 1
            Vinegar, balsamic 1 tbsp
            14 0 3 0

Totals
            563 CALS
            23.3 FAT(g)
            77.3 CARBS (g)
            22.0 PROT(g)

Comment

we always say it but...
              eat more fat

Comment

I agree with her, excess protein will cause rapid aging.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that PB is a moderate-protein, high-fat diet, not a high-protein one? Excessive protein is probably not good for you. FWIW, been a meat-eater all my life, Primal for ~4 years now. I will be 28 this summer and if I walk into a liquor store in casual wear and no makeup, I get asked for ID without fail, every single time (and I'm neither short nor petite so I definitely don't look like a kid).

Comment

Originally posted by sarah13 View Post
                    Food LogTotal NutritionCustom Nutrition GoalsNAME AMOUNT UNIT CALS FAT(g) CARBS(g) PROT(g)
                    Totals 563 23.3 77.3 22.0
                    Apple, raw 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
                    72 0 19 0
                    Seeds, chia seeds, dried 15 grams
                    74 5 7 2
                    Almonds, unroasted 4 almond
                    28 2 1 1
                    Apricot, dried, uncooked 1 half
                    8 0 2 0
                    Pumpkin and/or squash seeds, hulled, unroasted 6 grams
                    32 3 1 1
                    Milk, 2% fat (Kara Coconut Milk) 0.5 fl oz
                    8 0 1 1
                    Quinoa 30 grams
                    112 2 21 4
                    Avocado, raw 3 slice
                    48 4 3 1
                    Flax seeds 13 grams
                    69 5 4 2
                    Yeast 1 tablespoon, dry
                    35 1 5 5
                    Spinach, raw 100 grams
                    23 0 4 3
                    Tomatoes, raw 5 cherry
                    15 0 3 1
                    Pepper, raw 1 medium
                    24 0 6 1
                    Vinegar, balsamic 1 tbsp
                    14 0 3 0

Totals
                    563 CALS
                    23.3 FAT(g)
                    77.3 CARBS (g)
                    22.0 PROT(g)
                    What's that? Seeds, seeds and more seeds. Am I supposed to eat that? But I am human.

Comment

yes high fat moderate protein low carb is my mantra

but eating meat more than once a day does not make it high protein

Comment

Avocado, hemp (not flax - its not on fit day), and quinoa - and tonight i'll have some meat like chicken or lamb or whatever - can this be all bad? I don't see the need to panic if you don't eat meat for lunch....just sayin'!

Comment

Yes you are definitely right, I just wondered - how do you eat enough fat without getting all the protein that you would get from eating fatty meat? Do you eat a lot of cheese, olive oil etc on salads, avocado, nuts etc?

Comment

and I dont see the panic if you do eat meat, especially wide varieties of game, wild food, fish, grass fed beef etc etc

paleo genes will love it, think it's the height of hunting season all year round and respond accordingly

i.e vibrant health, abundant energy

I do not count, just eat until satisfied and add fat high in SFAs
                            Last edited by Katsuhiko the Rolfer; 04-02-2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah13 View Post
                              Yes you are definitely right, I just wondered - how do you eat enough fat without getting all the protein that you would get from eating fatty meat? Do you eat a lot of cheese, olive oil etc on salads, avocado, nuts etc?
                              so for breakfast today I had a 4 ounce piece of steak griddled but I added a large knob of butter to the pan near the end of cooking, basted the steak for a minute, put the steak on a plate to rest and cooked two eggs in the butter in the pan, added them to the steak with some of the butter/juices from the pan. Took about 4 minutes, tasted delicious

so yes I add fat during and after cooking, especially grass fed butter, coconut and olive oil

Comment

Working...
                              X