Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The cons of a high protein diet? The face, skin and beauty on Primal diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Woops. Don't know how I posted twice.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

    Comment


    • #62
      wow

      I'm a huge guy, 220lbs, rock solid muscle, low body fat and I only eat 120 to 150g of protein per day, no way could I reach those toxic levels of protein you are talking about

      one of my clients is a giant 'strongman' contestant and he eats about 250g per day of protein

      if we can't get near the toxic level no one will

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
        nobody here is recommending "excess" protein, lol.
        Excess - more than what is sufficient. A surplus. I see many people averaging 160g over a prolonged period. If I require 60g that's almost 3 times the amount I need. Which only leads to unnecessary oxidation of certain aminos. It's a much better idea to cut protein back and supply the energy more directly via fat or carbohydrate.

        Comment


        • #64
          I was just told yesterday that my skin looks great. Since I've been off grains my Rosacea has cleared up and I look younger

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
            nobody here is recommending "excess" protein, lol.
            Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
            Excess - more than what is sufficient. A surplus.
            thank you, dr. dictionary.


            I see many people averaging 160g over a prolonged period.
            nobody on this thread is talking about that and the op is trying to get enough protein from seeds. meh.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

            Ernest Hemingway

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
              Excess - more than what is sufficient. A surplus. I see many people averaging 160g over a prolonged period. If I require 60g that's almost 3 times the amount I need. Which only leads to unnecessary oxidation of certain aminos. It's a much better idea to cut protein back and supply the energy more directly via fat or carbohydrate.
              Thats a silly definition of the word excess in this context, LOL. Seriously, should we consider every ingested gram of carbohydrate excess because it is "more than what is sufficient"?

              I think you may want to adopt a more biologically relevant meaning that is backed by scientific understanding, such as that sbhikes posted.

              And seriously without context of what you are doing day in and out and if you are in a caloric surplus or a deficit are obvious variables that have to be accounted for.
              Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                Excess protein isn't good. Especially the amounts people like cordain recommend.
                Aminos like methionine are high in muscle meat and eggs and are not good for aging. Plant compounds like lycopene and other antioxidants are great for skin health.
                Meat and eggs are not good for aging? Why do you say this if you are Primal?

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  On this post Protein for Athletes | Perfect Health Diet

                  He writes:


                  There is also a chart for people who like charts plus some commentary about regular people vs. athletes. Anyway, takes a lot of protein to get into trouble. Are YOU eating nearly 1000 calories a day of protein every day? I don't think I could even if I tried and I eat meat at almost every meal.

                  I wouldn't change your diet just because other people say eat MOAR fat or eat meat for breakfast just because other people do. Sheep's milk yogurt is pretty high in protein anyway and it's delicious. If your diet works for you, keep on keeping on.
                  Thanks for the support, dw I will keep on eating it - it's great isn't it! I definitely don't get more than 100g protein a day so I'm fine. I think Kimberly Snyder needs to specify how much protein is too much when she makes these claims...

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                    thank you, dr. dictionary.




                    nobody on this thread is talking about that and the op is trying to get enough protein from seeds. meh.
                    No..I'm not. I just have them on my meals, I still eat meat!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                      Everyone has a different start in life
                      No, not exactly. Believe it or not, there is a difference between being born and raised in a mansion and being born and raised in a "council" house.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Allenete View Post
                        I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here:Meet Gillian McKeith - YouTube

                        Nigella Lawson on Jimmy Kimmel Live PART 2 - YouTube

                        These women are both the same age ...
                        the video of Nigella was uploaded a few months ago, while Gillian's video was uploaded 2 years ago.

                        The comparison of these 2 women has been criticised, but it's not the only such example I can think of.
                        Yeah Gillian definitely looks a lot older. you don't fully know what these two do in their lives to compare. It could also be genetics. Some people just age better than others. I have friends my age, a year younger and older but they all have wrinkles and gray hair while I don't.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                          Thats a silly definition of the word excess in this context, LOL. Seriously, should we consider every ingested gram of carbohydrate excess because it is "more than what is sufficient"?

                          I think you may want to adopt a more biologically relevant meaning that is backed by scientific understanding, such as that sbhikes posted.

                          And seriously without context of what you are doing day in and out and if you are in a caloric surplus or a deficit are obvious variables that have to be accounted for.
                          Well excess of any macro over a long time isn't great but protein creates more metabolic waste.

                          Originally posted by sarah13 View Post
                          Meat and eggs are not good for aging? Why do you say this if you are Primal?
                          I didn't say that. I said I don't think the amount some paleo dieters eat is a good anti aging strategy. Especially when crowding out other diverse foods.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by cayla29s View Post
                            Yeah Gillian definitely looks a lot older. you don't fully know what these two do in their lives to compare. It could also be genetics. Some people just age better than others. I have friends my age, a year younger and older but they all have wrinkles and gray hair while I don't.
                            Good point. Everything counts, including genetics and circumstances.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              When I was in my 20s I went to a wedding with my ex where we ran into some friends of his who we had not seen for about 5 years. One was a woman our age who had suddenly developed crepey dry wrinkled skin. I would say it was the skin of a 50 year old, but now that I'm in that age range my skin doesn't look anywhere like that. The girl smoked and roasted in the sun and it caught up with her fast.

                              But as far as excess protein consumption, what would Grok have done?

                              When the folks back at the cave were hungry and he brought home a haunch of mammoth, would they have restrained themselves and been careful not to eat too much protein? No. They'd have gorged themselves until they couldn't eat another bite, then slept for days, as any good predator would. And our ancestors would have done this every damned time over millions of years.

                              I'm skeptical about the "dangers" of eating excess protein. I know if I were to even try to reach and maintain the top of the recommended range, it would so sate me with protein that I wouldn't be able to eat any meat for days.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                i find protein to be pretty self-limiting also -- especially fattier kinds, like salmon and red meat.
                                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                                Ernest Hemingway

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X