Is this meal replacement shake good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this meal replacement shake good?

Hey! I'm still learning about everything primal/paleo, and today is officially my first day and it sucks! I live near a 7-11 and rely on them for snacks and meals a lot! Anyway, I bought this meal replacement shake a few months back and haven't used it much, so I'd like to know if I should start using it.

Nutrition Facts:
    Calories: 200
    From fat: 30
    Total fat: 3g
    Sat. fat: 1.5g
    Trans fat: 0g
    Cholesterol: 60mg
    Sodium: 120mg
    Potassium: 200mg
    Total carbs: 17g
    Soluble fiber:5g
    sugars: 3g
    Protein: 25g

Your goal should be transitioning to eating whole food. What are the ingredients? I bet it reads like a chemical factory inventory.

Comment

Okay, let's see:

Protein blend(Whey protein concentrate, Milk protein concentrate, whey protein isolate) Carb blend(maltodextrin, cellulose gum, oat bran, resistant starch, fructooligosaccharides, xanthan gum, carrageenan), creamer (partially hydrogenated soybean oil)

I should probably stop there, there is nothing whole about it, I think. And the hydrogenation is probably the worst thing huh. Welp, thanks!

Comment

There ain't no such thing as a "good meal replacement shake" :-)

Junk it and go find some meat to put on a stick :-D

...and 7-11 is not really a good source for snacks and meals.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumifer View Post
          There ain't no such thing as a "good meal replacement shake" :-)

Junk it and go find some meat to put on a stick :-D

...and 7-11 is not really a good source for snacks and meals.

Lol, yeah, well what about the ad for the Primal Fuel?? And yeah, that's why I'm doing this lifestyle change. I depend too much on bad food, and right now, it's tough, but it'll get better, I just need to figure out some new ideas for snacks on the go!

Comment

Depends on your goals and how you handle the carbs, but I would rather have used a whey/casein/egg protein blend instead, but that's me...
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
              Depends on your goals and how you handle the carbs.
              Well, my goals are just to get rid of the bad stuff and eat better. I am doing it for weight loss, but moreso for a lifestyle change so I won't end up loing weight and going back to how I am now after I become healthy.

As for how I handle carbs, how do you mean? I don't understand how I am supposed to handle carbs, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaminokamen View Post
                As for how I handle carbs, how do you mean? I don't understand how I am supposed to handle carbs, I guess.
                If eating carbs means your blood sugar goes whacko, that's not handling carbs well.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  If eating carbs means your blood sugar goes whacko, that's not handling carbs well.
                  Typically if after eating carbs you get really hungry again in a couple of hours or so -- and if you don't eat then you get fainting spells -- that means "not handling carbs well".

Being more wide than tall is also a common consequence of "not handling carbs well" :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Kaminokamen View Post
                    Well, my goals are just to get rid of the bad stuff and eat better. I am doing it for weight loss, but moreso for a lifestyle change so I won't end up loing weight and going back to how I am now after I become healthy.

Many people get blood sugar fluctuations and crashes, and they feel that they runs out of energy too soon. This is especially the case with faster carbs like white bread, sugar and white rice etc. Slow absorbing carbs are usually better, but some people react to them as well...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Okay guys, thanks!! I do not handle carbs well. I get hungry after an hour and a half after eating. I have times where I get super lightheaded and get tired quick. Never fainted, but yeah. What should I do then?

Comment

You should develop an interest in your blood glucose levels :-)

As a very crude explanation, when you eat carbs your blood sugar spikes up and to handle that your pancreas secretes insulin which hammers the blood sugar levels down. If that process is not balanced well, insulin will push blood sugar levels too low and you'll feel hungry and light-headed. So you eat more carbs to fix that and the roller-coaster ride begins again. These swings in glucose and insulin will eventually lead to diabetes.

Some suggestions in no particular order:
                        • Do a blood test for fasting glucose and insulin
                        • Do a blood test for HgA1C
                        • Try intermittent fasting
                        • Try going into ketosis (aka a very-low-carb diet), see if it agrees with you
                        • Try just a low-carb (not very-low-carb) diet, see if it's better for you

Comment

Working...
                        X