Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone broth?!? Come at me with your knowledge.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want gelatin as well. Try and get a calf's foot or knee bone.

If you are on the stove:

Let your bones soak for an hour with apple cider vinegar and water (maybe 1/2 cup vinegar, but I always err on the side of generosity). Before cooking add carrots, celery, onion, whole peppercorns (maybe 6). Let the pot come to the boil and take the scum off the top, and then drop the temperature to the lowest. Let it sit and cook slowly for 24 hours, top up with water as you need so that it does not boil, you only want it be a very slow simmer. You can add some seeweed as well. Add herbs maybe towards the end. No salt, add salt when you are going to eat it.

Underground Wellness had a podcast on it:
    http://undergroundwellness.com/?s=bone+broth&go=GO[/URL]

I personally think bone broth is one of the most important aspects of eating well. Here in Italy you can easily buy bones for boiling or broth. But you never hear that when they talk about the Mediterranean Diet.
    Life. Be in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenview View Post

beef bounces for tomorrow
      like a primal amusement park.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I make Mark's carnitas recipe once every two weeks or so, and use that big pork bone as well as any chicken bones. There's so much marrow and cartilege on that bone, love it. I simmer it with water and a little ACV on the stove for 2 days, with a few carrots and celery stalks and an onion. I turn it off at night and turn it back on in the morning. After 2 days I strain it all and eat the veggies. I have a big gelantinous mass in the fridge right now. I make soup with it or just drink it. If the fat on top (after refrigerating) is orange or brown, it's oxidized and you should just throw it away. If it's white, it's a keeper and you can scrape it off and use it however you like, or keep it with the broth.

I'm going to use this batch of bone broth to make lamb and escarole soup for Easter tomorrow.

Mine has never smelled badly, it always smells wonderful.
        be the hair that knots with my hair
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Working...
        X