Are sprouts primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are sprouts primal?

I've always been interested in health and nutrition and know that sprouts (alfalfa sprouts, broccoli sprouts ect) have long been hailed as nutrition powerhouses. Apparently they are high in protein, vitamins and minerals and enzymes to help you digest them.

I haven't seen any mention of them in the primal context. I'm guessing that sprouted legumes (eg. chickpea, mungbean sprouts) are out? In fact I just found out that alfalfa is a legume too..

But what do people think about eating sprouts, eg. broccoli, watercress, mustard sprouts?? do you include them into your diet?

Bern

Interesting question -- and good point about the alfalfa being a legume!

I eat sprouts, but I haven't seen them specifically mentioned as primal/paleo or otherwise. I suppose someone is bound to say that Grok wouldn't have bothered picking such tiny bits of food, but I'm not into the paleo-reenactment bit. For me, the question is whether or not sprouts are a healthful (that is, both nutritious and non-harmful) food.

Anybody?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I consider them to be baby plants and good eats.
      It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

I was out and about on my daily walk yesterday and I noticed the trees were starting to sprout their new growth.... I looked at them and went "I wonder if I could eat those"
        I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Very interested in the answer to this question. Thinking of picking up an sprouter from Amazon and some organic seeds. Also interested if any variants are better/worse than others.

Comment

I don't think eating a little grass would be bad. It won't provide anything significant in terms of nutrients, but if you like it I don't see anything wrong with it.
            I prefer to add an intermediary in between grass and myself, though. Usually a cow will do it.

Comment

Broccoli and Radish sprouts are muy delicioso.

Comment

Ha ha pantera!

I love garlic sprouts and onion sprouts!!! Mmmmmmm! You can sprout anything, even almonds. Would seed sprouts be better than legume sprouts?
                The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                  Ha ha pantera!

I love garlic sprouts and onion sprouts!!! Mmmmmmm! You can sprout anything, even almonds.
                  I usually soak almonds. Is that what you mean by sprouting?

Would seed sprouts be better than legume sprouts?
                  I wouldn't know. I stay away from both seeds and legumes.

Comment

Just interested to know Pantera, why do you stay away from seeds?

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                      Just interested to know Pantera, why do you stay away from seeds?
                      They have lots of antinutrients. Which seeds are primal, btw?

Comment

I recently read either in a blog or in PB, but Mark has specifically mentioned alfalfa sprouts, however, in my humble opinion, the age of the plant would matter and the nutrient content of a bably alfalfal sprout is hardly a blip on the screen. It's purely ruffage (a grass that quite possibly could have been nibbled on). I use them usefully to sop up my runny egg yolks and I enjoy the mild, yet bitter, flavor. I would guess that they would only need to be avoided if classified as containing a harmful defense; they certainly aren't adding carbohydrates like a mature legume and don't need to be soaked. But. . .a package of organic sprouts is technically half the price for a package of organic bacon. . . hmmmm.

Comment

I've had alfalfa sprouts before. They taste like dirt (or so I think as I haven't had dirt since I was a toddler). And at half the price of bacon with 1/4 of the protein, no fat and no other nutrients? I don't see the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantera View Post
                            They have lots of antinutrients. Which seeds are primal, btw?
                            What do you mean by anti-nutrients?? I am still new to primal and trying to learn what is and technically isn't primal but I know that flax seeds have been promoted as something good to eat - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/power-foods/, and I made these seed crackers that came from a recipe from the forum http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sunfl...h-shrimp-pate/.. i just assumed that seeds were primal (obviously in moderation). But if you have other ideas on this please share.. I'm open to hearing everyone's opinions to help form my own. That's what I like about these forums!

Bern

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                              What do you mean by anti-nutrients?? I am still new to primal and trying to learn what is and technically isn't primal but I know that flax seeds have been promoted as something good to eat - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/power-foods/, and I made these seed crackers that came from a recipe from the forum http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sunfl...h-shrimp-pate/.. i just assumed that seeds were primal (obviously in moderation). But if you have other ideas on this please share.. I'm open to hearing everyone's opinions to help form my own. That's what I like about these forums!

Bern
                              Bern, antinutrients are, in short, substances that plants have as defences from being eaten. You can get a primer at the Wikipedia page for antinutrients or you can read more if you google around.

On flax, there are concerns about ALAs not being as effective as DHA or EPA and flax potentially increasing prostate cancer risks in men and Mark has addressed them: Mark on flax

Comment

Working...
                              X