Bread and The Bible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goraham View Post
    So just to be clear, it's okay for you to mock God and when I respond by defending my faith, I'm pushing religion. Seems a bit hypocritical.
    And why do you surmise that I came on this site "to push religion"? I did not.The reason I came to this site is because I eat Primal/Paleo. I also happen to be a person of faith. I don't find that to be a contradiction.
    I have lurked on the site for some time and have learned a lot. Up until now I have not felt the need to post.
    I don't mock God because I don't believe any of the multiple versions of God exist in the first place. I don't even mock people whether they believe in one God or ten million of them so long as they don't push it on others. I do take great pleasure in mocking the arguments of those who believe in God while at the same time holding others to a much higher standard of proof than they themselves can even come close to achieving. And I don't hesitate to call out the fact that religion is always exempt from logic and rational thinking. That's just plain annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      I'm arguing that a lack of belief doesn't necessarily imply zealotry. It's a ridiculous claim. It's like saying all people who don't believe the moon is made of cheese are zealots. You anti-moon-cheese zealot.
      Maybe so, but it's in my personal experience from dealing with atheists on the internet who get in uproars whenever God is even brought up that they're rather fanatically committed to believing in nothing. They also usually say "as long as you don't push your beliefs on me!" but they're usually the ones doing that in the first place. Who really cares?

This thread is sort of an example.

And, I do believe the moon is made out of cheese. Aged cheese, which explains the delicious looking holes it has.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

I'm arguing that a lack of belief doesn't necessarily imply zealotry. It's a ridiculous claim. It's like saying all people who don't believe the moon is made of cheese are zealots. You anti-moon-cheese zealot.
        Atheism is not a lack of belief. It's a belief in nothing.

Most atheists I know are pretty passionate about that belief!
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Dammitt. Beaten by Derp
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
            Explain the difference to me.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Explain the difference to me.
              ?!

be·lief
              [bih-leef] Show IPA
              noun
              something believed; an opinion or conviction: eg. a belief that the earth is flat.

They don't lack opinions - they have an opinion that there is no God.

Maybe changing the words made it clearer?

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                Maybe so, but it's in my personal experience from dealing with atheists on the internet
                In other words, your experience in dealing with pro-atheist zealots has led you to conclude that all atheists are zealots?
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Faith is when you believe in something for which no evidence exist. If there was evidence, it wouldn't be faith.

Comment

?!

be·lief
                    [bih-leef] Show IPA
                    noun
                    something believed; an opinion or conviction: eg. a belief that the earth is flat.

They don't lack opinions - they have an opinion that there is no God.

Maybe changing the words made it clearer?
                    Still muddy to me. Either one believes in a God or he doesn't.

How is "not believing in a God" essentially different than "believing that there is not a God"? You're conflating the former with "not being certain that there's a God," but I think wrongly so. They're the same thing.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

In other words, your experience in dealing with pro-atheist zealots has led you to conclude that all atheists are zealots?
                      Can you honestly say that religion and God in this day and age hasn't become a touchy subject because of over opinionated people of both sides? Examples of zealotry. Just try telling any atheist that you have faith in something and see the response you get. Usually they'll be more than adamant to tell you you're wrong and God doesn't exist and oh btw I'm an atheist here's why:

It's all pointless.
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

Still muddy to me. Either one believes in a God or he doesn't.

How is "not believing in a God" essentially different than "believing that there is not a God"? You're conflating the former with "not being certain that there's a God," but I think wrongly so. They're the same thing.
                        Atheists have a conviction that there is no God. A conviction is a belief. I agree - both sentences are the same: they both mean that the atheist either does or doesn't believe in something.

Agnosticism is when someone doesn't have an opinion on the God thang.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Atheists have a conviction that there is no God. A conviction is a belief. I agree - both sentences are the same: they both mean that the atheist either does or doesn't believe in something.

Well help me then, to know whether I am an atheist or an agnostic I need to know which gods are the ones that matter! Or is it all of them? That's a lot to keep track of!

Comment

Originally posted by fifer View Post
                            Well help me then, to know whether I am an atheist or an agnostic I need to know which gods are the ones that matter! Or is it all of them? That's a lot to keep track of!
                            It's easy. When someone brings up religion:

Agnostic: Oh... yeah. I don't really know. What do you believe?
                            Atheist: Religion is for the weak and there is no GOD!

Also - atheists don't usually differentiate between religion and "God", agnostics might.

- Ray Peat

Comment

So believing that the likelihood of there being a God is so infinitesimally small as to render it negligible falls into which category for you? Because that's how I feel and I am an atheist zealot, unlike the billions of silent atheists in the world who Derpamix has never met.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Most atheists I know are pretty passionate about that belief!
                                Yep, they certainly are! And some atheists even still believes in the existence of other absurdities; like 'square circles', or that it is possible 'to gain weight in a calorie deficit' etc...
                                "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                                X