Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bread and The Bible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jesus would have been nailed to the cross as an even younger man if he had used pork meat or bacon as a metaphor of the divine instead of bread!
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

    - Schopenhauer

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
      Science doesn't explain shit, and if you think that science isn't equally if not more convoluted as religion to manipulate the agenda of a few people you're not being logical at all. I have a problem with zealots, and this is where all atheists fall in, except even more absurd because they're a walking, breathing contradiction(actively preaching and believing in nothing uh what?)

      The only logical thing you can do is to keep an open mind to all things and find the answers yourself. Unfortunately, in this lifetime, this isn't possible, if it ever will be.

      The bible itself is actually a very fascinating story, and many good morals can be taken from it if you're not looking at it through the eyes of someone brainwashed.
      I've only started reading through this thread, but this is the most logical and fair statement I have ever heard someone say in a truce between Christianity and atheism.
      My chocolatey Primal journey

      Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

      Comment


      • Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
        I've only started reading through this thread, but this is the most logical and fair statement I have ever heard someone say in a truce between Christianity and atheism.
        I am the OP, It amazes me how childish adults can be. I ask a simple question and simple minds turn and pervert the discussion to their own self serving ways trying to ease their own consciousnesses.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Wulf View Post
          I don't think these forums are a good place for religious discussions.
          But you'd think that people who were so supposedly openminded in discussing adherence to food philosophy wouldn't be opposed to openly debating about religion instead of just harping on how Christians shove their religion on other people's throats.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

          Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

          Comment


          • Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
            But you'd think that people who were so supposedly openminded in discussing adherence to food philosophy wouldn't be opposed to openly debating about religion instead of just harping on how Christians shove their religion on other people's throats.

            I am the OP, It amazes me how childish adults can be. I ask a simple question and simple minds turn and pervert the discussion to their own self serving ways trying to ease their own consciousnesses.

            Comment


            • In response to the "all atheists are zealots" comment - there is more than one kind of atheist, at least four identified: Research Findings. Not all atheists actively reject religion.

              If the OP is genuinely concerned about the bread in the Bible issue, I hope that they have/will find an answer to their question.
              Last edited by anova01; 03-31-2013, 09:12 PM.
              "It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

              12 week health challenge (95%, more moving)
              Start -- March 1st -- 173.4
              End -- May 24th -- 158.6

              Comment


              • O_o
                My chocolatey Primal journey

                Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                  Science doesn't explain shit, and if you think that science isn't equally if not more convoluted as religion to manipulate the agenda of a few people you're not being logical at all. I have a problem with zealots, and this is where all atheists fall in, except even more absurd because they're a walking, breathing contradiction(actively preaching and believing in nothing uh what?)
                  Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                  I've only started reading through this thread, but this is the most logical and fair statement I have ever heard someone say in a truce between Christianity and atheism.
                  The statement "I have a problem with zealots, and this is where all atheists fall in" isn't fair at all. I'm not a zealot. My only posts to this thread have been to point out misconceptions and unfair accusations about atheism (as I'm doing now).

                  Many atheists are zealots, many atheists aren't.
                  Many theists are zealots, many theists aren't.

                  I'm with Derpamix regarding her distaste for zealotry, and if her experience has been that all atheists she's ever met are fanatics who spend all their time trying to convince religious people to abandon their faiths, well, that's unfortunate. I can't possibly imagine that that's the case, but who knows. I just want to make it clear that we're not all like that, and that in my experience it's pretty rare.

                  Most likely the fanatical ones (on both sides) just make the most noise and get noticed.

                  I also have a huge problem with the above characterization of atheists as "absurd, walking, breathing, contradictions" who go around "preaching and believing in nothing". I don't preach, and I hold many, many beliefs (probably most of the same ones as Derpamix). Belief in a supernatural god just isn't one.

                  Comment


                  • HEY OP: Hope this helps. It really helped me to reconcile two things I believe that are contradictory and it also helped when my
                    Christian friends would ask me about this lifestyle.

                    Does the Bible Say We Should Eat Grains? - Wellness Mama

                    *I don't know if someone already posted this since I didn't feel like searching through 15 pages of posts that were not directly related to the question being asked*
                    Last edited by Horsecrazygirl42; 03-31-2013, 10:40 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Derpamix View Post

                      Secular humanism is enough without needing to prescribe to all the other ridiculous nonsense contained in the bible.
                      "Prescribe"? Perhaps you meant "subscribe"?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mr. Slate View Post
                        I am the OP, It amazes me how childish adults can be. I ask a simple question and simple minds turn and pervert the discussion to their own self serving ways trying to ease their own consciousnesses.
                        How many times are you going to post the same thing troll?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by GroksRoyalewCheese View Post
                          How many times are you going to post the same thing troll?
                          As many times as i see fit.

                          I am the OP, It amazes me how childish adults can be. I ask a simple question and simple minds turn and pervert the discussion to their own self serving ways trying to ease their own consciousnesses.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Mr. Slate View Post
                            As many times as i see fit.

                            I am the OP, It amazes me how childish adults can be. I ask a simple question and simple minds turn and pervert the discussion to their own self serving ways trying to ease their own consciousnesses.
                            Okay, I'll play your game and answer your original question as if it weren't a blatant troll job:

                            To re-state the matter at hand: Your original question is basically whether our bodies, the results of billions of years' worth of natural selection, are better off being fueled by grains and bread because they're mentioned in an allegorical document assembled from pieces written by different people in different places, but all within the past 2,000 years?

                            I think you'll find most of us electing to take our cues from pre-civilization diets (and modern hunter-gatherer/pastoralist diets) rather than the fact that a potentially fictional character used the word "bread" in an analogy. You are free to do what you want, but you'll find most of us far more likely to be swayed by actual evidence.
                            The Champagne of Beards

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mr. Slate View Post
                              As many times as i see fit.

                              I am the OP, It amazes me how childish adults can be. I ask a simple question and simple minds turn and pervert the discussion to their own self serving ways trying to ease their own consciousnesses.
                              It never ceases to amaze me how childish religionists with simple minds can be in their zeal to drown out other voices by repeating endlessly the same pointless, failed non-arguments and perverting discussions to their own self-serving ways trying to ease their own consiousnesses (sic). They think if they bore everyone else away from a trolling thread they started (and judging by the subsequent actions of the OP, clearly this was intended to be nothing but a trolling thread) they can have the LAST WORD and PROVE they are RIGHT and God exists!1!

                              Fail troll. Eat gluten, get celiac, and die. Jesus won't save you.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                                Okay, I'll play your game and answer your original question as if it weren't a blatant troll job:

                                To re-state the matter at hand: Your original question is basically whether our bodies, the results of billions of years' worth of natural selection, are better off being fueled by grains and bread because they're mentioned in an allegorical document assembled from pieces written by different people in different places, but all within the past 2,000 years?

                                I think you'll find most of us electing to take our cues from pre-civilization diets (and modern hunter-gatherer/pastoralist diets) rather than the fact that a potentially fictional character used the word "bread" in an analogy. You are free to do what you want, but you'll find most of us far more likely to be swayed by actual evidence.
                                The New Testament was written in the past 2,000 years. Much of the Old Testament was written during the Bronze Age. Such part are basically historical fiction. Other parts predate Judaism and were borrowed from other earlier traditions.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X