Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to look for in Grass fed foods, and is there kosher versions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for in Grass fed foods, and is there kosher versions?

I'd really like to try grass fed food sometime, yet there is quite a problem for me. I keep kosher at home, so the grain fed meat (beef, lamb, turkey, chicken) is hard to find. Also should I spring for dry aged or wet aged if given the option?

There are a few online "grass fed" ones I found called.

kol foods
    Golden West Cattle Company
    Aarons gourmet
    kosherorganic
    My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

I was slapped in the face recently when I went to trader joes. It said organic range feed meat, yet given a vegetarian diet with grains. I assume they mention it if they died on a grass only diet?

The ones listed I dunno if they are reliable or that great tasting.

Comment

Look for 100% grass fed. Otherwise could be a mixture of grass with corn feed as a supplement.
      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Thank you. I guess vegetarian wouldn't fall under this.

Also what generaly tastes better, Dry aged, or Wet Aged meat?

Comment

I just got a bunch of lamb meat from the local Shop Rite. Is lamb normally grass fed? Or do they do the cage lot routine with them too?

Comment

I keep kosher too.
            Of the sources you list, I think the only one that is 100% grass-fed (that is, "grass-finished") is KOL foods, and the price reflects it. For everyone who complains that grass-fed meat is "expensive," that's the NORMAL price of kosher meat. Grass-fed kosher is prohibitively expensive. Needless to say, I eat grain-fed beef. I can't afford $15 a pound hamburger.

Here in Cleveland, Green Pastures Poultry does a kosher shechita a couple times a year. Check around in your area. I know that the northeast, with its denser Jewish populations, has more sources. This is a good listing from the Jew and the Carrot blog:
            http://jcarrot.org/resources/kosher-...meat#resources
            You might be able to get "mitzvah meat" with a short drive, depending on where you are located.

Comment

I have realtives that live in Ohio. Is it hard to ship from there? I would assume you would need dry ice for packing.

Comment

Originally posted by strom View Post
                I have realtives that live in Ohio. Is it hard to ship from there? I would assume you would need dry ice for packing.
                I guess you'd need dry ice. I don't know anything about shipping meat, sorry!

Comment

Working...
                X