Whole Foods - Part Brain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Foods - Part Brain

I just got off the phone with my local Whole Food store in Arlington, Texas to see if theyhad beef tallow. They connected me withtheirmeat dept, and THEY DID NOT KNOW WHAT IT WAS.

seriously- that's unreal. I just bought a butt-load of meat at Whole Foods yesterday and commented to my husband how knowledgeable they were. I thought they had some kind of meat training they had to go through to work there.

Comment

I went to Whole Foods after I first started PB - about 2 months ago - and 2 different employees didn't know what coconut milk was and said they obviously didn't carry it (other than the refrigerated sugared drink by that soy company). I later found out you can find it in the cans everywhere - even at the normal grocery stores....

Comment

Go to a Mexican market; they always have it.

Comment

I've noticed that it's always in one of the ethnic food sections in the store.
          I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

The key to Whole Foods is the following:
            a) Befriend a butcher by going a few times (ideally at opening time).
            b) Get him to save you some fat from their grass-fed beef (or bison). Since their party-line is anti-animal fat, they trim their meat a lot. They don't even use the fat for their sausages (preferring to add canola oil - yuck - to them). They trim the meat in the morning, so be there within 30 minutes of opening time. They'll usually go on tilt when trying to figure out how to charge you for it, but they would eventually either give you the fat for free or at the lowest possible price from some product they carry.
            c) Make your own tallow or lard.

Comment

Good to know, @Pantera! I get sad when I think of all the good fat that gets thrown away.

Comment

Thats absurd, I wonder who you talked to? All the meat guys (and seafood) I know up there are extremely knowledgeable.
                Little Saiyan

Comment

Do you have a local farmer's market? Ours has three different ranchers, and they all have tallow, rendered fat, marrow bones, etc.
                  If I don't live my dream, who will?

Comment

O man I was so upset! I prefer thick bacon to thin and I think it was AppleGate Farms that sold thick, uncured, Applewood bacon at Whole Foods. But now, all their bacon is marked "40 % LESS FAT". They have no full-fat thick bacon available in any brand right now .

Comment

Originally posted by AnneArchy View Post
                      O man I was so upset! I prefer thick bacon to thin and I think it was AppleGate Farms that sold thick, uncured, Applewood bacon at Whole Foods. But now, all their bacon is marked "40 % LESS FAT". They have no full-fat thick bacon available in any brand right now .
                      that just means you have to eat 40% more bacon.... i fail to see the problem
                      I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by AnneArchy View Post
                        Check the packets, not just the butchers case? As far as I know, that applewood baken contains sugar though??

I had the same issue while looking for buttermilk at Kroger, and yogurt in Georgia... no full-fat anything.

-写
                        Little Saiyan

Comment

UPdate! I got 11 lbs of suet from my butcher. Grassfed and perfect. Rendered it down and now have a huge pail of tallow, about 3 gallons. I keep it in the freezer and break offa a chunk whenI need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave RN View Post
                            UPdate! I got 11 lbs of suet from my butcher. Grassfed and perfect. Rendered it down and now have a huge pail of tallow, about 3 gallons. I keep it in the freezer and break offa a chunk whenI need it.
                            Where did you get it? I live in your area and I'm always looking for more sources of good meat!

Comment

Working...
                            X