No announcement yet.

Antibiotics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our kitchen isn't stocked with healthy food nor do we have easy access to stores that supply them. Its a pretty typical SAD kitchen.

Even though I'll try to be primal/paleo it won't be perfect. I'm not following a plan as of yet though I've been trying to work on one for a long time. (But I mention all this in my journal.)

All I've had today is two eggs (nice healthy ones from my aunt's chickens that she gave me) cooked in coconut oil, salt pepper and a little added butter. The worst thing I've had today is a cup of orange juice (typical Tropicana) watered down with ice and a Ricola for my cough.
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Comment

A lot of people find antibiotics upset their stomachs. It's one reason why doctors often have trouble getting compliance with taking the entire prescription.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
        A lot of people find antibiotics upset their stomachs. It's one reason why doctors often have trouble getting compliance with taking the entire prescription.
        Well I haven't taken any since last night. Again, as I said, I only had one pill (the prescription was filled yesterday). I don't intend on taking anymore. The main thing I wanted to know was if I was in danger if I had taken one pill or if I had needed to continue once I started.

Also I'm trying to heal myself as much as I can but I'm woefully unprepared and without a good stock of healthy primal foods. The most healthy thing I can make is some tea but even that isn't completely organic (ginger is conventional).

I've got some sweet potato that I cut up and stored in the fridge, a head of broccoli that I need to wash, cut, and blanch, celery stalks, spinach, arugula and onion. I have some shrimp but as we have never had seafood as part of our diet I am not sure what to do with them (They are frozen conventional shrimp that I believe has been precooked). I have 6 chicken thighs that I've cooked and frozen, some veal.

Most of these are conventional and not grass fed or organic but that's what's available/affordable.
        F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Good yogurt would be just regular yogurt without any crap added (sugar, preservatives, flavor enhancers.. E numbers.. things you dont recognize & cant pronounce.. you get the idea). The only ingredient should be .. Yogurt (or Milk) . They should also say contains live cultures (for instance the Orken yogurt says "Live Probiotic Cultures inside - Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum " )

I would avoid fat free but if you can't get full fat I wouldn't worry about it to much.
          Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks everyone for responding with your advice.

I think I'm starting to be on the mend. Just an itchy dry annoying throat issue now. I guess the gunk is draining. No fevers or bad aches. Been drinking my fluids mostly but I managed to pick up bones yesterday for the first time which I will use to make my first ever bone broth.

Unfortunately my grandmother is still playing Pill Police, but I've basically lied to her and told her I took them. It doesn't pay to argue with a 91yr old woman.
            F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

A little late in the thread but I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

Antibiotics have to be one of the most over-prescribed drugs in the USA. They are too often given for viral infections which not only are useless but may inhibit the bodies' own immunity system.

My theroy is that the over use of antibiotics, even for bacterial infections, damage the bodies' natural ability to heal itself and not only antibiotics but even taking OTC meds to bring down fever as described in this article:

A Fever is Actually Good for You - Don't Fight It

Even when I know that I have a bacterial infection (I have a medical background, I know the difference) I don't take antibiotics, or any other medications. I get a fever, I usually sleep about 20 hours and I wake up weak but well.

I have also had this theroy that the overuse of antibiotics in the USA has caused the over health of people's immunity systems to be depressed and as a result, this may cause an increase in cancers and other diseases that the body would normally be able to combat. I think that when you (over) use antibiotics, it causes your immunity system to go into neutral to a degree and the artificial antibiotics are just not as good at combating disease as your natural immunity system. And there is also the effect of killing off the good bacteria in your body to consider.

Perhaps my theroy may have a degree of truth to it by these articles:

Antibiotic Use and Increased Risk of Breast Cancer - National Cancer Institute

and

Overuse of Antibiotics Is Seen Behind Many Human Ills | Helpful Bacteria & Gut Biome | Immune System & Auto-Immune Diseases | LiveScience

Always remember several things about doctors and the medical profession in general:
              • Doctors are trained to basically do two things for an illness, give pills or do surgery

• Doctors are heavily influenced (some might say controlled) by the big drug companies who not only "Wine and dine" the doctors but also influence the cirriculum in medical schools

• Even the best doctor makes mistakes (as we all do) and an informed patient is best for all concerned

• And a cured patient is a customer lost, think about how many things doctors do that actually cure anything. A majority of medicine is about treating signs and symptoms
              Randal
              AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
              Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
              http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Working...
              X