Calcium Sources?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium Sources?

I recently gave up dairy. Sadly. I think I have a mild casein allegery. It makes me feel like I need to clear my throat constantly.

In any case, I think cheese and yogurt were my main source of calcium. Other than sardines (which I eat from time to time but probably not frequently enough), what other food source provides calcium? An Internet search hasn't proven especially helpful. Sesame seeds, almonds, dark leafy greens, etc., etc. Fine. I eat those. I eat kale all the time, in fact. But I'm looking for something that would replace the calcium I no longer get from cheese and yogurt. And I don't want to have to eat a whole bunch of almonds to get it either. Any recommendations, all you folks who don't eat dairy? I really don't want to have to take another supplement. Plus, it's easy to overdo calcium if you take it as a supplement.

My journal

Shellfish and small fish like sardines are your best bet. Bone broth and maybe bone marrow also. You can make a calcium supplement from egg shells that is very high quality.

Comment

You can't do raw and/or other milk?
      well then

Comment

Here's a little article: Top 10 Foods Highest in Calcium

Also, sometimes people who can't tolerate fresh cheeses can tolerate aged cheeses better. If you try it and you can, you could keep some parmesan around as a flavoring.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I think calcium requires adequate vitamin D levels to be absorbed - so sunshine and, as already mentioned, fish are also needed.

Comment

Originally posted by upupandaway View Post
            I think calcium requires adequate vitamin D levels to be absorbed - so sunshine and, as already mentioned, fish are also needed.
            Yes, all the 4 fat soluble vitamins are extremely important for mineral absorption. You need a LOT of them compared to what the average person gets nowadays. I think it's safe to say you NEED liver, high fat raw dairy or fermented cod liver oil or all of the above.
            well then

Comment

EAT MOAR BONES! Seriously though. What better source of calcium? I eat bones every chance I get. Ends of chicken wings, canned sardines, pork ribs.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

bone broth; if you can't figure out another way to use it, just drink it as is; and when you prepare it, add some vinegear, acidity helps dissolve the calcium into the broth.
                Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                  You can't do raw and/or other milk?
                  I have to experiment with those. I don't know if my allergy is limited to beta-casein A1, which would make it okay for me to consume sheep/goat cheese, as well as cheese from most Jersey cows. I don't really drink milk. Not even raw milk--don't like the taste. I prefer almond or coconut milk.

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                  EAT MOAR BONES! Seriously though. What better source of calcium? I eat bones every chance I get. Ends of chicken wings, canned sardines, pork ribs.
                  Hah! I actually love crunching through the ends of chicken wings. I'll eat the entire smaller half of the wing--bones and all. But, again, I don't eat chicken wings regularly.

Originally posted by Wulf View Post
                  bone broth; if you can't figure out another way to use it, just drink it as is; and when you prepare it, add some vinegear, acidity helps dissolve the calcium into the broth.
                  Good idea. I have some marrow bones in the freezer. Have been meaning to make broth. I'll be sure to add some vinegar.
                  Last edited by diene; 03-28-2013, 02:20 PM.

My journal

Comment

I've been wondering if I am going to get adequate calcium too. We've been having kale 2-4 times per week and other leafy greens as well. Added bone broth too.

Comment

just found this recipe for greens, that uses 1 cup broth; I imagine it should cover calcium ! (omitting sugar)

Collard Greens with Bacon Recipe | Simply Recipes
                      Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

The bad predator leaves lots of meat still attached to the bones. The good predator picks the bones clean. The best predator eats the bones if given the opportunity, then barfs them up the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                          The best predator eats the bones if given the opportunity, then barfs them up the next day.
                          pro status.

Comment

+1000 on the bone broth. most days i have a bowl with some seaweed, coconut oil and sometimes eggs.

asian cultures traditionally consume very little dairy yet have much lower rates of osteoporosis and elderly bone fractures.
                            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

have you searched Google? Anyway fish is your best choice in my opinion in this case

Comment

Working...
                              X