Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not another omg look at my chol thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not another omg look at my chol thread

    Ok...have measured my lipids five weeks into primal. (Sorry I hav no baseline but am a relatively fit healthy 31yr old and am not overweight but have lost 8lbs on primal)

    Cholesterol 216.14
    Trig 57.9
    HDL 57.9
    LDL 131.23

    I'm a physician so I'm a little disturbed about my chol and LDL. Do I hold out and repeat after another few months? Should I be concerned? Am I doing the right thing?

  • #2
    Your cholesterol level is nothing to be concerned about.

    HEALTHY DIETS AND SCIENCE

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      Your cholesterol level is nothing to be concerned about.

      HEALTHY DIETS AND SCIENCE
      Agreed. Cholesterol should not be considered high until it is over 250. For more, Google Chris Masterjohn + cholesterol.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
        Agreed. Cholesterol should not be considered high until it is over 250. For more, Google Chris Masterjohn + cholesterol.
        At what point would you take statins? What markers would you look at, eg trigs/ HDL-C ratio, and how bad would they have to be for you to take statins? If your TC>250, what should you do about it?

        Comment


        • #5
          a total number for cholesterol is meaningless. 250 is just as arbitrary as 150 or 450.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

          Ernest Hemingway

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes but I have given the other values as well...

            Comment


            • #7
              sorry, missed the bit that you're a doctor. as such you should understand that cholesterol from food doesn't translate to elevated blood lipids, and that "high" cholesterol reads have no proof in causing cvd. 50% of those who have heart attacks have "healthy" cholesterol numbers.

              some find their numbers elevated at first, while the body adapts, but numbers become more "normal" after 6 months or so.

              your trig number is good, which is the one that worries some people.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

              Ernest Hemingway

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Artbuc View Post
                At what point would you take statins? What markers would you look at, eg trigs/ HDL-C ratio, and how bad would they have to be for you to take statins? If your TC>250, what should you do about it?
                I'm not sure I would ever take statins. The side effects are too bad and the risk reduction is too low.
                How Statins Really Work Explains Why They Don't Really Work.

                My total cholesterol was up around 300 several months ago. My doctor prescribed a statin, but I did not take it. I worked off the assumption that my chronic fasting and carb restriction could have been hampering my thyroid function. So I started eating a Brazil nut each day, seaweed a few times a week and upped my overall carb intake. Last I checked, my TC was down to ~260, all from LDL reduction. For more info:
                Chris Masterjohn on Cholesterol and Heart Disease (Part 3)
                High LDL on Paleo Revisited: Low Carb & the Thyroid | Perfect Health Diet


                Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                a total number for cholesterol is meaningless. 250 is just as arbitrary as 150 or 450.
                Fair enough. I was referencing what Chris Masterjohn has said. That among extant hunter-gatherers, the upper range of TC seems to be around 250, so it seems likely that if TC is higher than that, it might indicate a problem. Also, it's good to keep in mind that any one measurement is just a snapshot and that it has an error of +/-35mg/dL

                Comment


                • #9
                  Women should not take statins. There is no advantage for them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I had mine done 2 weeks into primal and I'm glad i did because these are my "before" numbers. Perhaps 6 months to 1 year in ill have them done again to compare. Only 5 weeks in I wouldn't think those numbers reflect your primal lifestyle but more the SAD that came before it, or am I completely off?

                    Here are my numbers:
                    Cholesterol: 134
                    HDL: 64
                    LDL: 59
                    Triglycerides: 54

                    My doctor said my numbers were so great that I had a better chance of winning the lottery than developing heart disease. My concern is , like I said , these numbers reflect my pre-primal lifestyle. Now that I'm eating bacon, eggs, butter, and coconut oil are these numbers going to change for the worse? I try not to let CW creep back in but sometimes I wonder.....
                    Veronica
                    High weight: 263.8 lbs
                    Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                    ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                    Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                    Goal: 145 lbs

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by vlo1125 View Post
                      I had mine done 2 weeks into primal and I'm glad i did because these are my "before" numbers. Perhaps 6 months to 1 year in ill have them done again to compare. Only 5 weeks in I wouldn't think those numbers reflect your primal lifestyle but more the SAD that came before it, or am I completely off?

                      Here are my numbers:
                      Cholesterol: 134
                      HDL: 64
                      LDL: 59
                      Triglycerides: 54

                      My doctor said my numbers were so great that I had a better chance of winning the lottery than developing heart disease. My concern is , like I said , these numbers reflect my pre-primal lifestyle. Now that I'm eating bacon, eggs, butter, and coconut oil are these numbers going to change for the worse? I try not to let CW creep back in but sometimes I wonder.....
                      Unusually low cholesterol levels are not good, they are bad. Normal-high cholesterol is protective of your system. This "the lower the better" nonsense is bs intended to sell more drugs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Without a baseline, how can you know if what you've been doing for the past five weeks has had any impact at all? It's fine to be concerned if you are trying to reach a specific level, but you've just determined a baseline. How about repeating the test in a few months to check for changes?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My SAD diet beforehand wasn't the worse. Like I said I'm moderately fit (triathlete) did not eat to excess and certainly didn't over indulge in carbs. Looking back at my food diaries I rarely went over 150g of carb a day so I'm not convinced these levels reflect my old diet - although I suppose we'll never know.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That's what I was thinking patti but I'm wondering should I stop thedoublecream in my coffee?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jencossy View Post
                              That's what I was thinking patti but I'm wondering should I stop thedoublecream in my coffee?
                              No. Enjoy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X