Eating Indian Food and staying Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Indian Food and staying Primal

What are the best Indian dishes for Primal? And what about for low-carb Primal?

Right now my favorites are Butter Chicken and Chicken Korma. It always comes with Basmati rice. If I eat a small portion of the rice, and I'm in a ketogenic state, will it throw me out of the ketosis?

Obviously naan is out of the question.

Thanks!

That depends on what other carbs you're eating, and on how many carbs total, or better, on what % carbs in your total diet.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

It probably would throw you out of ketosis if it is more than a little mouthful or so.

But if you think you need your starch, white rice is an ok choice for it. Mark has even given it sort-of approval, despite being a grain.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I could always eat the dishes without the rice, that's not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Chanda View Post
          I could always eat the dishes without the rice, that's not a problem.
          Sure you could.

If you're not making the dishes yourself though, you don't know if they are using anything like cornstarch or flour as thickening substances in the sauces. And that might be all it takes to bump you out of ketosis.

And let's not mention the crappy oils you might encounter.

Or are you talking about making your own here? I gather not.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

lamb curry!

Comment

Standard PB is 65-70% fat, 20% protein, 10-15% carbs. Is this what you're eating?
              "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                If you're not making the dishes yourself though, you don't know if they are using anything like cornstarch or flour as thickening substances in the sauces.
                And let's not mention the crappy oils you might encounter.
                This. Making it yourself with some cauliflower rice is a good alternative.

Comment

No, I was talking about when eating at an Indian restaurant. I don't go very often as it's far away, maybe 4 - 6 times a year, honestly.

I could learn to make it myself, is it pretty complicated?

Comment

No, I'm eating more protein than fat... I try to eat fatty cuts of meat, and cook everything in bacon grease or coconut oil, though. Oh, and lots of butter. And I do eat full fat greek yogurt and use half-and-half. The heavy cream that I can find in stores here have additives, so I don't eat that as much.

Comment

Well I would always go with the currys because they're basically meat simmered in coconut milk
                      Palak Paneer is spinach with chunks of goat cheese
                      Tandoori chicken!!
                      Though most options are primal bombs: Ladu (dessert made from sugar,sugar and more sugar), Daal (lentil soup), Pokorah (batter fried vegetables), naan (white flour flatbread), Idli (rice patty), puri (fried bread)

Comment

I absolutely love Indian food. And I know this sounds overly picky but a lot of restaurants now will use vegetable oil/soybean oil instead of Ghee (which is traditionally the go to cooking fat for Indian food) because of the fear of saturated fat. So I end up trying to make it home myself. Luckily I was able to find a few places that use ghee still but they are a bit further to drive to than my local spots.
                        "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I would call around and speak to specific restaurants. I looove Indian, two I go to say they use ghee as fat and when I went there they knew the ingredients in their dishes very well and were confident in their answers. They did think it funny that we were eating the delish sauces with a spoon and virtually licking the plate...... ) I had no issues after at all and I am really really sensitive. I like rice, but found eating the dishes without really neat as the flavours were really intense.
                          Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                          Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                          Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by Chanda View Post
                            No, I was talking about when eating at an Indian restaurant. I don't go very often as it's far away, maybe 4 - 6 times a year, honestly.
                            Four to six times a year - take your best shot, enjoy, don't sweat it.
                            Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

Indian food cooked in the traditional way is pretty primal - ghee for fat and no thickeners in the sauce. Unfortunately, you can't count on restaurants to do that. Get a good Indian cookbook and buy the spices and you won't look back. I recommend Indian Cookery for Pleasure by Charmaine Solomon. You should be able to get it online. My copy is 30 years old and is still my most frequently used cookbook. If you want other Asian food, get her Complete Asian Cookbook - truly a compendium of authenticity
                              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Working...
                              X