Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by girlhk View Post
    Why do you think that is?
    I've given up trying to figure it out, or denying that it happens. I just need to keep up a moderate protein intake every day so I don't go crazy with it and binge later.

Having thought about it, I feel like it is actually muscle I am putting on, rather than fat. However, it is not immediately accompanied by an increase in strength.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 03-27-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Those calorie tracking apps use government data so they're always going to tell you that you get way too much fat, cholesterol and protein in your diet.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I'm the opposite of eKatherine - higher protein seems to make me lose better, even given close to the same calories. Not sure why except everyone's different.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by girlhk View Post
          I've always heard that too much protein is hard on the body, especially the kidneys, makes you age faster, etc. Just wondering how much of that is true...
          Re kidneys

"If I wanted to cut to the chase I could boil this whole thing down to the following:

1-Dietary protein DOES NOT CAUSE KIDNEY DAMAGE.

2-Chronically elevated BLOOD GLUCOSE levels DO cause kidney damage.

3-Dietary fructose REALLY causes kidney damage.

4-Many kidney issues have either a hyperinsulinemic characteristic, an autoimmune characteristic, and or a combination of autoimmunity or hyperinsulinism. A standard, low-ish carb paleo diet can fix most of these issues.

5-For serious kidney damage a low-protein, ketogenic diet can be remarkably therapeutic.

6-If you get kidney stones that are from oxalates, reduce your green veggie intake (spinach for example) and have other types of veggies.

7-If you get kidney stones that are from urate salts, you are likely NOT following a low-ish carb paleo diet, you likely have insulin resistance and your liver is not processing uric acid."

Clearing up Kidney Confusion: Part Deux

hope this is useful - Robb Wolf's site is great for these questions.
          Last edited by upupandaway; 03-28-2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            I'm the opposite of eKatherine - higher protein seems to make me lose better, even given close to the same calories. Not sure why except everyone's different.
            It takes about one calorie to fully process a gram of protein in your body. I've heard some nutritionists say that as a result, we should really think of protein as being 3.5 calories a gram as opposed to 4.5 (total energy obtained - energy used to process = net energy obtained) but it might not be QUITE this simplistic.

Still, it could explain your extra weightloss when eating more protein.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Drumroll, that makes sense. My brain often processes things in images. If I think of carbs, my brain thinks "dust" - easy to digest, fat would be "squishy like jello" - a little harder, and protein makes me think of a lean raw steak - the toughest of all. Also, somewhere in my past I learned that protein molecules were long complex chains - which would be tough to break down.

Anyway, somewhere in my youth I decided I would rather look like steak than dust or jello, and started eating lots of protein. It's hard to kick those images when they've been in one's head for so long and they seem to work. That probably sounds crazy.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Drumroll, that makes sense. My brain often processes things in images. If I think of carbs, my brain thinks "dust" - easy to digest, fat would be "squishy like jello" - a little harder, and protein makes me think of a lean raw steak - the toughest of all. Also, somewhere in my past I learned that protein molecules were long complex chains - which would be tough to break down.

Anyway, somewhere in my youth I decided I would rather look like steak than dust or jello, and started eating lots of protein. It's hard to kick those images when they've been in one's head for so long and they seem to work. That probably sounds crazy.
                Well, calorie counting programs and most people budget the usual 4.5 calories from protein when calculating total calories for a day. So, if their goal is say, 1,850 calories and they ate 100 grams of protein that day in the process of reaching theat total, simply through the metabolic burn of processing that protein in their bodies alone, they managed to cut another 100 calories unbeknownst to them, which further drives their caloric deficit, increasing weightloss.

As long as it doesn't go to starvation levels that is.
                "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                  As long as it doesn't go to starvation levels that is.
                  Primals don't starve, we fast.

B*tch-lite

Comment

Primals don't starve, we fast.
                    Heh, I could use a little bit of that speed. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Comment

I can eat a lot of protein without gaining. When at dinners, people raise eyebrows at the amount of meat I consume. I just shrug and say I'm eating for 2 (nursing, lol). But I do wonder sometimes if I'm consuming too much.
                      Last edited by girlhk; 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        Those calorie tracking apps use government data so they're always going to tell you that you get way too much fat, cholesterol and protein in your diet.
                        The cholesterol % is off the charts everyday, but I don't pay attention to that. With protein, however, from what I read PB, it should be around 1g per lb lean body mass, right? That means around 80-90g for me. I easily eat double that.

Comment

Working...
                        X