Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dehydrating Fruits: add chemicals or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehydrating Fruits: add chemicals or not?

Just got a dehydrator (Excalibur 9 tray(Go big or go home)). I've done some fruit (apples and bananas) and I'm not sure if I should do the dip method that was suggested. I've had some success and really like the flavor, but I'm not sure about the shelf life. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    New to Paleo

Dip in lemon juice. Tastes yummy. Add cinnamon, too for extra yumminess. The chemicals aren't really necessary if you don't mind the resulting brown color of the fruit. The sugar in the fruit and relative lack of moisture is what preserves the fruit, not the chemicals.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Fruit is often dipped in an ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) solution to prevent discoloration.

Comment

I dip the fruit in lemon juice and dry. Then I pack it in freezer bags for long term storage.
        "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I dip apple slices in an ascorbic acid solution, basically to prevent discoloration.

Jerky I don't dip in anything.

Comment

As long as you are only dipping in ascorbic acid or some sort of citric acid, such as lemon you should be fine. Avoid any sulfuring, sulfites and sulfates.

Comment

Working...
            X