Raw Potatoes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Potatoes

I was listening to the Ancestral Health 2011 conference and one of the speakers listed several vegetables you could not eat raw. (He was upset because many nurtition sites gave values for them.) The only one I remember is potatoes.

Why can't you eat them raw? How many other veggies can't you eat raw? How about turnips? I love raw turnips. Am I putting some toxin in my body?

I hope someone knows the answers here.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

My ex-husband used to eat potatoes raw. I never cared for them.

Comment

The green skins of potatoes are poisonous. That is all.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
        The green skins of potatoes are poisonous. That is all.
        Does 'green skins' mean when the potato is not ripe?
        "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

I believe he just means that it is pretty much not digestible. Most veggies in raw form are just pure fiber.

Comment

I can't imagine eating a raw potato, but I know doing so will cause a rise inbody temperature.
            I remember my SO telling me how he and other kids will eat a raw tater when back in school, so they would be sent home sick.

I think raw turnip is fine. I eat them (and kolhrabi too) with no negative reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
              The green skin on a potato is the area where the alkaloids are most concentrated. Because of those some people are sensitive to nightshades.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                The green skin on a potato is the area where the alkaloids are most concentrated. Because of those some people are sensitive to nightshades.
                I see, thanks. The green is the coloring immediately under the skins. I always peel what I'm goinig to eat raw, along with any odd (green) coloring. Are there any other 'raw' problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Cryptocode View Post
                  Yep.
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Potatoes don't ripen. The green skin means they've been exposed to light and have started to grow. This causes an increase in alkaloids and chlorophyll.

Comment

I've never heard of anyone being poisoned by eating green potatoes. But what they say is that potatoes that have green sections on the skin from sun exposure should be thrown away, not trimmed.

Comment

Working...
                      X