No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting- Debate and Science

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright- I watched that documentary that was posted. Interesting and informative. Although, I was really irritated by the lady doctor who was saying "eat 500 cal on fast day and eat WHATEVER (including fast food) you want on feed day." Um... no.

All I have to say is, I am so glad I am changing NOW while I'm 22, and not screwing up for another two or three decades. My poor body has already been through enough!
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
      It is also possible to get a good fasting effect from certain low calorie diets, like the modified protein fast. At the moment I do this twice a week on modays and thursdays; eating a soup at night in two meals at 6 PM and 9.30 PM. Totally on those days I get around 800 kcal and 150 gram of protein and only trace calories from fat and carbs. The other days I do a normal intermittent fasting, having my first meal around 2.30 PM, except sundays when I eat breakfast in the morning. Even if I eat A LOT on the other five days I have started to lose weight again, so I probably will back out and keep only monday as my PSMF day...
      I tried Lyle MacDonald's PSMF and gained weight. Plus it drove me nuts. Real IF works fine for me. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
        I tried Lyle MacDonald's PSMF and gained weight. Plus it drove me nuts. Real IF works fine for me. YMMV.
        You gained weight on less than 800 kcal per day??? You must have done some serious binging then! I am not a big fan of extended PSMF for leaner people, so I only do PSMF style of fasting on Mondays and Thursdays and I eat above maintanence for the other five days and I am losing too much weight at the moment, so I will quit Thursdays and keep Mondays only...
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
          You gained weight on less than 800 kcal per day??? You must have done some serious binging then! I am not a big fan of extended PSMF for leaner people, so I only do PSMF style of fasting on Mondays and Thursdays and I eat above maintanence for the other five days and I am losing too much weight at the moment, so I will quit Thursdays and keep Mondays only...
          You can believe that if you want to. I have said before that when I eat excessive protein (and that diet demands an enormous amount of protein) I gain weight, even in a calorie deficit.

Comment

You can believe that if you want to. I have said before that when I eat excessive protein (and that diet demands an enormous amount of protein) I gain weight, even in a calorie deficit.
            Sure, maybe you can transform water into vine and walk over water as well? Not even a 60 lbs dwarf in coma can gain weight below 800 kcal, high proteins or not...
            "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Is that weight fat, muscle or retained waste though?

M.

Comment

Yeah... Go ahead and tell ekatherine what didnt happen him. I mean, because you were totally there monitoring the whole thing.... I hate that shit!

Comment

Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
                  Yeah... Go ahead and tell ekatherine what didnt happen him. I mean, because you were totally there monitoring the whole thing.... I hate that shit!
                  Yeah, what next? - maybe somebody that claim to gain weight when waterfasting?

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Dude, seriously? May as well call ekatherine a liar. People do this kind of thing all the time. "Please, continue to tell me how my experience didn't happen."

Comment

Dude, seriously? May as well call ekatherine a liar. People do this kind of thing all the time. "Please, continue to tell me how my experience didn't happen."
                      Well, this is not a forum for extra terrestial experiences or UFO's, and since it can't be done anyway, I don't have to disprove absurde claims! So, if you as an example should claim that you gained 150 pound of fat by waterfasting only, I do not have to prove you wrong at all, but people with a minimum of knowledge will know for sure that it can't be the case...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

+1
                        I continue to be amazed at people who insult and dismiss the experience of others. They are apparently of the opinion that everything about the functioning of the human body has been discovered.
                        Starting Weight: 197.5
                        Current Weight: 123
                        Far healthier!

Comment

Why should I care if a troll calls me a liar? Isn't it clear that trolldom is the fount of all knowledge?

I'd be glad to experiment with it again after I reach my weight goals. However, experimenting with eating more protein ended up setting me back about 5 months. It took me a long time to get a grasp on what was happening. After all, that's not supposed to happen.

So I'm not going to do an n=1 on it quite yet.

One thing I won't experiment on again is a fat-free diet, protein sparing or otherwise. My body can't tolerate that.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                            Is that weight fat, muscle or retained waste though?

M.
                            The feeling I had was it was muscle. However, it was not accompanied by an immediate increase in strength.

I have calipers. Putting on 5 (or more) pounds in this way did not increase the thickness of my abdominal fat.

Comment

Why should I care if a troll calls me a liar? Isn't it clear that trolldom is the fount of all knowledge?
                              Heh. I just can't stand it when folks do that. Makes me blood boil whether its to me or to someone else.

Comment

Is that a refence to me? And where did I call you "a liar"? You make certain irrational and absurd statements that you can gain weight in a calorie deficit below 800 kcal per day, and I say that it can't be the case, but I don't call you a liar, because you probably don't know where you are mistaken or make wrong measurements. Another possibility is that you are trolling or lying, but I am not saying that, only that what you are claiming can't be the case! In an earlier post you wrote that you can gain weight in a calorie deficit:
                                This is of course a complete absurdity, so I don't need to check it, because nobody can even maintain their weight in a calorie deficit, far less gain any! And if somebody claim that gravitation is not working where he lives and that a stone instead of falling down flies upwards instead, I don't need to go and check it, because I can dismiss it as pure nonsense a priori. But maybe this person believes in what he is saying though...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                                X