No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations labgirl, what an accomplishment!

I'm not an expert in this area but I do know as far as toning goes that you have to work your entire body regularly to minimize body fat. You can't just work one area and expect to see results. It's all a working progress. Keep doing what you're doing by the sounds of things and little by little that problem area will minimize

Comment

• According the the JUDDD calculator my Upday cals are 2249 and my Downday cals should be 450.

I've found that the hard part of IF isn't the fasting, it's shoving 2000 calories down my gullet during that "eating window".
      52 year old Male
      Goal: 185lbs
      April 10th: 220lbs

Comment

• I have never had a problem eating plenty!

Comment

• Congrats

labgirl - That's wonderful that you hit your goal and are getting to buy some new clothes as a reward.

Went in for a surgery consultation today (non-fasting related skin thing) and explained my weight loss method to this new doctor. Again, the doctor didn't know anything about intermittent fasting but didn't seem to have any objections to it since my bloodwork and blood pressure are all normal. There seems to be no known evidence so far of "wrecking my metabolism" and other peer concerns I have gotten.
          Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• I was SO cold yesterday evening. i am noticing that more often on Down Days. I guess digestion really does provide some heat. And, I'm slowly losing my fat layer.

New low this morning. Fewer than 10 pounds left to my first goal.

Comment

• Way to go Sabine at at being so close to your first goal

I'm the same way on DD, freezing and having the chills all day. I drink a lot of tea that's for sure

Still in control of my eating, over 1 week in and down about 5 pounds I've never seen results or have had this much control over my eating patterns in years. It's amazing how in tune you become with your actual hunger signals. Looking forward to tackle the Holidays without the usual weight gain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                I was SO cold yesterday evening. i am noticing that more often on Down Days. I guess digestion really does provide some heat. And, I'm slowly losing my fat layer.

New low this morning. Fewer than 10 pounds left to my first goal.
                Woo hoo! You can do it Sabine!

I am always cold now. I have heard it can take some time before the body's temperature regulation catches up with weight loss too. I find myself with 4-5 layers on normally indoors or outdoors.
                Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

http://tryingadf.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• I came here today to ask if I have to eat the 2000 calories on an up day - I am at about 1000 right now and could easily go the rest of the day without eating again.

Does it work as well if I don't?

Originally posted by PaleoPenn View Post
                  According the the JUDDD calculator my Upday cals are 2249 and my Downday cals should be 450.

I've found that the hard part of IF isn't the fasting, it's shoving 2000 calories down my gullet during that "eating window".

Comment

• I think your supposed to try and eat as close to your ud calories as you can. It's why juddd works (feast/famine),if you just had all dd's you'd just be doing severe calorie restriction. which will always make you lose weight but usually at the cost of muscle mass. An easy way to get your ud calories in is to add extra fat to your meals( add butter and oil wherever you can).
                    Veronica
                    High weight: 263.8 lbs
                    Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                    ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                    Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                    Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

• Yes, you do need to eat more on your Up Days, for the reason Veronica gave. This is in general-- if you have a day here or there where you don't make it, that's fine. But that's more for once you are established with several weeks or even months of ADFing. In the beginning, be careful to eat enough.

Isn't it great to have to be sure to eat ENOUGH!? I love it. It is like when I first started eating low-carb. In the Atkins book, he states: make sure to eat at least every six hours. I scoffed. As if I could EVER go SIX WHOLE HOURS without eating. But sooner than I thought, I had a day where, oops! It's been eight hours since breakfast and I just haven't been hungry or thought about food! How did that happen?!?

Comment

• Had a good Down Day yesterday, after the pleasures of Thanksgiving. I am going to be doing a five-day fast(either NOW, or soon) but I posted about it on a fasting thread. It doesn't seem appropriate to this page, as it is not ADF. For those interested, go take a look. I am not doing it for weight loss, but for an 'issue'. However, I expect that it will peel the Thanksgiving water weight off in a hurry. Bonus.

But, on the ADF front, thought you might be interested in seeing my numbers for the past few days. These are the weights in the morning, then what happened for the day.

M 166.0 Fasting Down Day
                        T 163.5 ate well until evening, then ate some bad stuff
                        W166.0 ate a moderate amount of good stuff, and drank lots of eggnog
                        R 166.5 THANKSGIVING! Anything I wanted.
                        F 169.0 PIE PARTY Day More of anything I wanted
                        S 172.0 Fasting Down Day
                        U 167.5

I think the weight gain was pretty reasonable, especially considering I had FOUR days of chowing, instead of the two I planned. (I think I need to accept that I will be eating treats, one way or the other, any time I am on a road trip. I can make good ones, or succumb to roadside trash. My choice.)

I liked the quick drop I got this morning, after one Down Day. Yay for ADF! I'm certain that if I just did regular rotations, I would be at my regular number in less than a week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                          I have never had a problem eating plenty!
                          This!!!!!

I can't relate to anyone who has trouble eating 2200 calories in a day.......I am quite simply addicted to food and eating! Granted, I have an addictive personality (I am a recovering alcoholic). I have done very well just to eliminate grains and PUFA's from my diet in my Primal quest, and limiting sugar is a real challenge every day for me. But I have done OK, and I would like to try this! I am kind of stuck right now about 10 pounds over my goal weight, so maybe this could get me over the hump I seem to be stuck on. I am going to read a lot more of this post, and will keep you all posted! Perhaps I can contribute, and I would certainly welcome any advice as I get started on this.....I think I will try a total fast on my first down day.....
                          The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 58, 6'0
                          SW - 192
                          CW - 180
                          GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Comment

• Welcome, Barnyard. I hope ADF works well for you. I have had a lot of success with it.

One thing I like to mention to everyone starting, is that it is not a QUICK method. Especially if you only have ten pounds to lose. Do not expect that you'll be done in three weeks. The average is about one pound per week, over a chunk of time. It is not uncommon to stay the same for several weeks(usually not at the beginning, at least). But, it is a very SUSTAINABLE method. For me, this is the longest I have every been able to stay with a program(9 months), and it is also easy to get back on after 'slips'.

Good luck!

Comment

• On the third day of my special fast. Strangely, I have not been as cold as I was on my last few Down Days.

Wait, just realized I have had the heat cranked up. That probably helps.

How is everyone doing, coming back from Thanksgiving feasts?
                              Last edited by Sabine; 12-03-2013, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• So frustrated! Somehow I have ended up gaining back 7 pounds of the 12 I had lost. I ended up in the ER on monday with an asthma attack and was put on prednisone for 4 days. Then Thanksgiving arrived. I had originally gained all of the weight back but have lost 5 again since Friday.
                                I know realistically that I did not eaat enough to gain 12 lbs in 4 days but I am still struggling with it. I am hoping that another couple of days off of the prednisone will clear it out of my system and I will lose a couple more pounds.
                                I am willing to accept that I did eat enough Wed through Fri to gain a couple of pounds.
                                a
                                Just climbing back on the horse and getting back into the routine I know works.

Comment

Working...
                                X