Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by elkay7 View Post
    It depends on what you can manage/why you are traveling. When I visit family or hang out with friends who are aware that I am doing ADF I keep the DD, because they understand what is going on and don't try to sabotage my DDs. However, if it is a special occasion with social eating, I take an extra UD and just try to eat reasonably. If I can plan it, I also at least try to do a 16 hr fast too so my eating schedule stays regular. Sneaking in extra up days really thwarted my weight loss for awhile though.
    I am going to be eating out as we are taking a mini vacation. Eating out alone is hard enough but trying to do it while doing ADF well...dang. I still want to enjoy myself.
    Any thought? should I switch to 5-2? Or just do the best I can.
    Thanks

Comment

• The calculator tells me 2600 and 500 for cals.

I am doing 5:2 (sometimes 4:3). I am currently not counting due to w30.
      I would really have to stuff to get to 2600 on UDs. I aim for 2000.
      On DDs I fast until dinner and eat one meal. 500ish cals, usually a little higher.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
        The calculator tells me 2600 and 500 for cals.

I am doing 5:2 (sometimes 4:3). I am currently not counting due to w30.
        I would really have to stuff to get to 2600 on UDs. I aim for 2000.
        On DDs I fast until dinner and eat one meal. 500ish cals, usually a little higher.
        Pebbles67
        Can you give me a quick run down of the 5-2 fast? How its done etc, please and ty

Comment

• The Fast Diet the secret of 5:2 intermittent fasting: lose weight, stay healthy, live longer

Eat normally 5 days / week. My normal is all Primal. On 2 non consecutive days you eat 1/4 of your calories. 500 cals recommended for women 600 for men. My calorie burn per day is actually around 2400, so I allow for 600 cals on fast days.

On my fast days, I fast until dinner then have one meal. This gives me 20-24 hours of IF, 2-3 days a week.
          Last edited by Pebbles67; 06-05-2013, 07:21 AM.
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I'm totally freaking out guys, 207.6 lbs. that's up 3.6 since Friday, wtf?! Is this water weight coming back on from stoping ADF? Idk what to do, staying around 2000 cals, carbs are averaging 100, maybe I need to stay low carb? I can't be packing on weight this early it doesn't bode we'll for the next 9 months!

Edit: actually yesterday carbs were only at 77, so what gives? I think I'm going to have to cut calories down to 1800 and see if that helps?
            Last edited by vlo1125; 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM.
            Veronica
            High weight: 263.8 lbs
            Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
            ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
            Current weight: 177.6 lbs
            Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

• Hello, All. I'm back from my weekend away.

First of all, congratulations Veronica! Exciting news. You have my best wishes for a safe pregnancy and a healthy birth.

I managed to keep to my first Down day (Friday) while away, but Sunday was a crash and burn. So yesterday (Tuesday) felt very good, completing a Down Day and getting back on track. My weight is back to where it was before my weekend away.

Tried out a green smoothie for part of my food yesterday. Celery, apple, spinach, cucumber, tomato, carrot, and yogurt. Taste was adequate, but I certainly felt like I was getting Nutrition! I may do that again on a Down Day, along with my salmon and mayo regime.

Comment

• Originally posted by vlo1125 View Post
                I'm totally freaking out guys, 207.6 lbs. that's up 3.6 since Friday, wtf?! Is this water weight coming back on from stoping ADF? Idk what to do, staying around 2000 cals, carbs are averaging 100, maybe I need to stay low carb? I can't be packing on weight this early it doesn't bode we'll for the next 9 months!

Edit: actually yesterday carbs were only at 77, so what gives? I think I'm going to have to cut calories down to 1800 and see if that helps?
                Just water weight from your increasing progesterone and the added carbs. Up your fat, drop your carbs and you will be fine. Best to stop counting calories.

Lots of stories on the low carb forums of healthy mamas staying low carb or vlc during pregnancy.

Here are the promised links:

Ketosis during pregnancy - PaleoHacks.com
                Lucas Tafur: Ketones fuel fetal development
                Paleo from Pregnancy | The Primal Parent
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

• bhanes - i am eating like you are. one meal a day. I havent done a 40 hour fast yet, and i dont know if I will. I am not losing weight, but I certainly am losing inches. Its odd because I dont work out. I have read that this can happen, and I am glad its happening to me.

I look more fit, and am wearing comfortably jeans I havent worn in a couple of years. Id like to see weight loss on the scale and i expect if I continue I will. This WOE is certainly better for my colitis.

The issue I have, is if I give myself "permission" to eat like other people on a sunday, it takes me 3 days afterward to get back to my method of eating.
                  Why does it take 3 days? Why cant i get off and get back on?
                  What is it about me that food is always such an issue? i have spent the majority of my life being my own food cop.
                  Its emotionally tiring.
                  Primal 90% from sept. 2012
                  looking to alter ulcerative colitis

Comment

• Originally posted by vlo1125 View Post
                    I'm totally freaking out guys, 207.6 lbs. that's up 3.6 since Friday, wtf?! Is this water weight coming back on from stoping ADF? Idk what to do, staying around 2000 cals, carbs are averaging 100, maybe I need to stay low carb? I can't be packing on weight this early it doesn't bode we'll for the next 9 months!

Mostly important.. decreasing stress. secondly, I know you can search for preggy thread on MDA that may better help you. Mark just posted something about soon to be moms NOT being on a diet. Since it's early... I'd drop your carbs, it will help you level off and maintain easier this next week until you decide what you want to do. I'm SURE that those extra pounds are just from not going off ADF slowly AND your hormones.

I agree with dragonfly, check out soon to be mom threads on MDA

let us know!

Comment

• TerriAnn,

I'm with you, if I don't continue at least strict Primal on a weekend it seems to take longer to get back at it. But if I eat normal Primal meals even through out the day on Saturday or Sunday then it is a piece of cake to go back to one meal on Monday. I'm feeling so much better now that I've gotten several good (1) meal days behind me. Really looking forward to my next 40hr fast hoping to push that scale down some more. I'm also loosing inches and I really can feel my core tighting up. I don't have a regular exercise routine but I have 5 acres in the works ie fencing, gardening, moving rocks, so that keeps me working like Grok! LOL!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                        Just water weight from your increasing progesterone and the added carbs. Up your fat, drop your carbs and you will be fine. Best to stop counting calories.

Lots of stories on the low carb forums of healthy mamas staying low carb or vlc during pregnancy.

Here are the promised links:

Ketosis during pregnancy - PaleoHacks.com
                        Lucas Tafur: Ketones fuel fetal development
                        Paleo from Pregnancy | The Primal Parent
                        I think your right about counting calories, I noticed that if I'm shy of hitting 2000 ill eat more to reach that number whether I'm hungry or not. I'm just so nervous to not count and get out of control. Today is gonna be another 100 carb day but ill get back to 50 starting tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks for the links !
                        Veronica
                        High weight: 263.8 lbs
                        Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                        ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                        Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                        Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by bhanes View Post
                          TerriAnn,

I'm with you, if I don't continue at least strict Primal on a weekend it seems to take longer to get back at it. I have 5 acres in the works ie fencing, gardening, moving rocks, so that keeps me working like Grok! LOL!
                          I think thats a good idea, and im going to try it. Back to strict primal for me. AND, i too don't have strict fitness routine. I too have forest, and I have been walk/running on the trails. I dont really care what it is i am doing, so long as I am being active 4-5 days a week.

Yesterday was a not so great eating day for me. I am grateful to be able to come to the forum and see i am not the only one struggling at times, and share in others successes and get the motivation and assistance i need. Thanks
                          Primal 90% from sept. 2012
                          looking to alter ulcerative colitis

Comment

• Thanks for the input on my binging on my up days. I have just completed my first DD (its evening now and I'm not hungry).

I had a protein shake for lunch and a homemade thai beef salad for dinner (tiny piece of meat) - if thats over 500 cals I don't care!! LOL - I feel in control and not hungry. Lets see how I go tomorrow for my UD.

I am going to juice a fair bit on my DD I think. I need carbs - low carb does not work for me with hashimotos and I would like to help my liver function with the nutrients from carrots, apples, celery, cucumber and pineapples. I might have a juice for breakfast tomorrow actually.

Comment

• It has been a great week so far, been cooking my own meal in the evening and have been very statisfied. But.....today is Friday and the looming weekend is upon me. This is when I have such a hard time, Friday afternoon's we usually hang out with our freinds, drinks and food. Saturday night we have a hugh party to attend...more drinks and food. Lucky Sunday is free and I can re-coupe. I'm going to stress to myself to stay Primal no matter what and refrain from excess drinks. UGH. Wish me luck :0)

Comment

• Hey! I haven't posted in a while, mainly because there are too many posts to catch up on, but thought I'd update my progress. I have been doing two fasts a week (500cals) for about 12 weeks now (about three weeks of three fasts a week in there in the middle), and have managed to drop 6kg. Pretty chuffed, very close to my goal weight now! And this last week I stopped calorie counting on my off days. This is amazing for me - I have been counting SOMETHING (calories, carbs, points, marcos) for almost 10 years! And this week I dropped a kilo! So I hope this encourages people to stick with it - it really does work But I am only doing two fasts a week, not ADF.

Comment

Working...
                                X