Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Veronica Congrats!!!!! That is wonderful news.....got a little of that myself last weekend (not me) but my daughter and also my daughter in-law both are expecting! OMG...
    Everyone here seems to be moving right along, so good to hear. Me....well I had the Memorial Day weekend which I knew was going to be tough with the kids all here. But then the news of 2 more grandbabies coming I went alittle over board to say the least. I guess after not having grains and sugar for so long my body decided to show me who's boss LOL! I was so sick Tuesday morning, all week. Didn't leave the house until Sunday, UGH. Nothing but chicken stock (home made) all week. You would have thought that there would have been a weight loss but no.....don't know how much that weekend put on me tho?? Anyway back at it today going to do my 24 hrs one meal a day for the next week then do my 40hr fast again come next Monday. I think I know better now than to upset my system with a bunch of junk that was not that tasty anyway. Congrats to all that are still losing stay the tide!!

    Comment


    • First, Veronica congratulations. My wife and I are going for number 2 and so far no luck.

      Looks like some people are putting up some decent numbers of weight loss that is mostly fat. If people are doing slow cardio(sub 75% of MHR) during their fasted day, then I hope they understand the roles of cortisol and insulin. Remember if insulin is present, fat loss is very very difficult. So one should not do slow cardio, or even faster higher heart rate cardio post 5 hours of eating if one wishes to maximize fat loss. Now the other aspect is that cardio in a fasted state can lead to cortisol spike. Cortisol spikes can lead to fat storage even if carbs are at 0 for a post workout meal. In a fasted state or a very low cal state the body is looking for any reason to leave the recycle/repair mode because the body is essentially eating itself. A safe time period post workout is usually about 2 hours. For strength training where DOMS is achieved, a different set of rules apply, but I would assume that no one is doing strength training on fast days.

      Comment


      • Hey all....I just started the JUDDD....so far so good...have one quick question tho. I am going out of town for 4 days. How do you do this while eating out? Do you minimize your up days, try and keep a down day...need help leaving Saturday

        Comment


        • Hi All

          I posted a couple of weeks ago - that it was my first DD. Well I am back after going through some realisations about myself.

          The DD went fine - but the Up day the next day was unbelievable - I virtually binged - which I don't do, and couldn't seem to then get back onto my DD. Each morning i would start saying this was going to be my DD, but I weakened every time and said, "oh tomorrow will be my next DD". It is now about a month later, and no progress on the scale for me.

          There is something in my psych that I haven't worked out yet. It triggered something that made me want food more - I guess telling myself I couldn't have the food today, made me want it even more and then some, the next day.

          So today is my DD and I am not keeping to a set calorie goal. I had a salad and chicken for lunch and I'll just eat veges for dinner. I do not have do to this perfectly to have a result (well thats what I'm telling myself and giving myself a break while I get used to this thing).

          I let you know if I "blow out" tomorrow.

          Anyone struggling with the same thing?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by goinggrok View Post
            Hey all....I just started the JUDDD....so far so good...have one quick question tho. I am going out of town for 4 days. How do you do this while eating out? Do you minimize your up days, try and keep a down day...need help leaving Saturday
            It depends on what you can manage/why you are traveling. When I visit family or hang out with friends who are aware that I am doing ADF I keep the DD, because they understand what is going on and don't try to sabotage my DDs. However, if it is a special occasion with social eating, I take an extra UD and just try to eat reasonably. If I can plan it, I also at least try to do a 16 hr fast too so my eating schedule stays regular. Sneaking in extra up days really thwarted my weight loss for awhile though.
            Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

            http://tryingadf.blogspot.com


            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Rueben View Post
              The DD went fine - but the Up day the next day was unbelievable - I virtually binged - which I don't do, and couldn't seem to then get back onto my DD. Each morning i would start saying this was going to be my DD, but I weakened every time and said, "oh tomorrow will be my next DD". It is now about a month later, and no progress on the scale for me.

              ...

              Anyone struggling with the same thing?
              Hi Rueben. Overeating on feast days has been hard for me. It has been only been in the last week and a half where my feast day eating has become in the normal 1600-2200 calorie range, as opposed to much higher 3000 calories. (You can see my calorie averages and the difference between the fast and feast days in my blog. The biggest struggle for me is not overindulging, especially with wine or beer, when at social events with friends.

              I have found the more meals I prepare myself and the more focus I have on hitting the nutrients I need on feast days (protein, vitamins, minerals) the less calories I eat and the fuller I feel. The most difficult thing is not giving into carb and sweet cravings.
              Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

              http://tryingadf.blogspot.com


              Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

              Comment


              • Hi all! I am back from Mexico vacation. I mostly stayed away from bad for me stuffs...mostly..but of course over indulged! I attempted a dd yesterday but after many many flight delays that resulted in a 20 hour trip home my exhaustion got the best of me. Feeling better today so I will attempt again. Although my plan for this week was dd on m,w,f, sun..we are camping this weekend and it would work much better. It's always a struggle to get back on plan..

                Congrats on the baby, V!!! Excited for you!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bobert View Post

                  Looks like some people are putting up some decent numbers of weight loss that is mostly fat. If people are doing slow cardio(sub 75% of MHR) during their fasted day, then I hope they understand the roles of cortisol and insulin. Remember if insulin is present, fat loss is very very difficult. So one should not do slow cardio, or even faster higher heart rate cardio post 5 hours of eating if one wishes to maximize fat loss. Now the other aspect is that cardio in a fasted state can lead to cortisol spike. Cortisol spikes can lead to fat storage even if carbs are at 0 for a post workout meal. In a fasted state or a very low cal state the body is looking for any reason to leave the recycle/repair mode because the body is essentially eating itself. A safe time period post workout is usually about 2 hours. For strength training where DOMS is achieved, a different set of rules apply, but I would assume that no one is doing strength training on fast days.
                  So it seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. If you do cardio in a non-fasted state, insulin inhibits fat loss. If you do it fasted, your cortisol spikes and that causes fat storage.

                  I do strength training on fast days. I don't discriminate among fast vs. non-fast days in my workouts. I can't just skip crossfit on all of my DDs--that would be ridiculous. I've stopped drinking the protein shake after my lifts though, per your recommendation. Do you still think it's a good idea to skip those shakes on DDs, even if I lifted heavy?

                  My journal

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Rueben View Post
                    The DD went fine - but the Up day the next day was unbelievable - I virtually binged - which I don't do, and couldn't seem to then get back onto my DD. Each morning i would start saying this was going to be my DD, but I weakened every time and said, "oh tomorrow will be my next DD". It is now about a month later, and no progress on the scale for me.

                    Anyone struggling with the same thing?
                    I eat a TON on up days although I haven't been counting calories. I haven't binged though. That's because I define binging as a very specific psychological state during which my eyes glaze over and I spend hours standing in the kitchen eating everything in sight. I have not done this since starting JUDDD. However, I overeat on most up days. Hence my weight loss is slow. But, as long as I'm losing, I don't really mind that it's slow. I love being able to eat a ton on up days. But sometimes I wonder if the weight loss will stop or has stopped. Er! So I'd like to get my UD eating under control as well.

                    My down days have become very easy, and I'm managing to eat less than 100 calories most of the time. I'm working towards a full water fast at least once a week.

                    You can look at my journal to get an idea of how much I eat on UDs.
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84294-4.html

                    Originally posted by elkay7 View Post
                    Hi Rueben. Overeating on feast days has been hard for me. It has been only been in the last week and a half where my feast day eating has become in the normal 1600-2200 calorie range, as opposed to much higher 3000 calories. (You can see my calorie averages and the difference between the fast and feast days in my blog. The biggest struggle for me is not overindulging, especially with wine or beer, when at social events with friends.

                    I have found the more meals I prepare myself and the more focus I have on hitting the nutrients I need on feast days (protein, vitamins, minerals) the less calories I eat and the fuller I feel. The most difficult thing is not giving into carb and sweet cravings.
                    elkay--your weight loss has been very impressive. So you managed to lose even when you were eating 3000 calories on up days, right? I'd like to get my UD eating under control so I can lose more quickly (or not stop losing), but I feel like I use up all of my will power on DDs and have none left on UDs. Lol!
                    Last edited by diene; 06-04-2013, 11:06 AM.

                    My journal

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by diene View Post
                      So you managed to lose even when you were eating 3000 calories on up days, right? I'd like to get my UD eating under control so I can lose more quickly (or not stop losing), but I feel like I use up all of my will power on DDs and have none left on UDs. Lol!
                      This all depends on HOW MUCH weight you want to lose and how much weight your body WANTS to lose. Someone who needs to lose 100 lbs will lose weight faster when one who needs to lose 20lbs.. ya know?

                      Comment


                      • Hey all, I know it's been a while since I posted.. (usually like everyday!) I kind of fell of the wagon. I still have been ADF everyday... I just got a bit sloppy with my meals ( I've been ADF for 6 weeks now)... I started eating CORN chips. I know... I know... it was TOM and I NEEDED it (and nutella). lol. I then ate corn chips the next UD and the next.. I finally finished the bag and i'm NOT buying another one. They were non-GMO, at least.Even though I was still successful with my DD... I just got sloppy with my diet. I did always stay in my calories...but I wasn't cooking a lot and blah blah blah. anyway. I'm back. DD today... I finally am eating only 1 meal on DD hooray! bc I really want my body to be getting into "repair" mode.

                        Comment


                        • Can I have one question: If you calculate DD and UD calories on Dr. Johnson's website, what weight do you insert? Your goal or current weight? Because these two give completely different results...
                          Thanks.
                          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost. - Neil Gaiman




                          My journal
                          iHerb.com code LBN037 - $10 off your first purchase

                          Comment


                          • Using the upper end of the BMI scale, since I have a stocky frame (I can't touch my thumb and middle finger when wrapping them around my wrist at all), I started off being at least 47 lbs overweight at 179 lbs when I started ADF (my highest was 183 lbs). Plus my diet had a ton of carbs and sugar in, which is a big reason for water weight retention (I found some research on it for my blog). At this point I am pretty used to the fasting, it is much harder for me to limit eating on my UDs, especially if they involve happy hour with friends.
                            Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

                            http://tryingadf.blogspot.com


                            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SugarfreeLife View Post
                              Can I have one question: If you calculate DD and UD calories on Dr. Johnson's website, what weight do you insert? Your goal or current weight? Because these two give completely different results...
                              Thanks.
                              You should insert your current weight.

                              My journal

                              Comment


                              • That's about what my numbers are. I eat more on UDs (unlimited, for now) and less on DDs (as little as possible). It seems to be working so far.

                                My journal

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X