Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [QUOTE

    Question: I'm not sure what you mean when you say, " Repair/recycle to growth" which do you want on? what do you mean by growth?

    but what I'm getting at with this, is that... it's about letting your body get away from insulin, thats why having only 1 meal on a DD is important... I totally get that. makes sense.[/QUOTE]

    You want both. Growth adds muscle, organ and benefical cells, it helps you become better at what you did today whether its working out or learning a new language. Repair/recycle gets rid of old cells, precancerous cells, and goes after any sources of inflammation.

    The problem is the majority of us, myself included, has spent the majority of time in the growth phase because of carbs and snacks.
    Last edited by Bobert; 05-23-2013, 10:49 AM.

    Comment


    • Chiming in for the first time.
      I am doing the 5:2 protocol (5UD,2DD). I am choosing to eat Primal allowed foods even though some 5:2 peeps do it with SAD as do the JUDDD gang.
      I am almost at the end of my first week. Today is a DD and I am really hungry. Much more so than on Tuesday. My DD are zero cals until dinner, then I eat my 500. Really can't wait for dinner...
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

      Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

      Comment


      • Jumping in, been following this thread, love it by the way. I started out doing the fast 5 4 weeks ago until I read PK's fasting protocal so for the last 2 weeks I've been fasting 24hrs daily (one meal a day, dinner) and 40 hr fast from Sunday to Tuesday evening. I've lost 6.5 pounds in 3 weeks! Yay. :0). I've been primal for about a year but haven't lost much weight. I'm 5 7" started at 174 and now down to 167.5. I find this WOE exceptionally easy. I've not slept so good in years. Hoping all this good continues. Thanks for letting me join in on such a great group of people. Chow!

        Comment


        • I'm on my second DD. Tweaking things from last time, which ended with a massive crash and gorging at the end of the day. I had a cup of coffee with a bit of heavy cream for breakfast/lunch, and will just be enjoying water until dinner time (I've got some salmon I'll be cooking for that). While I'm a little hungry, having the coffee is definitely helping things. I'm not feeling hollowed out like I was last time.
          The Age of Strife- My continuing journey to a happier, healthier, more natural lifestyle.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Bobert View Post
            You want both. Growth adds muscle, organ and benefical cells, it helps you become better at what you did today whether its working out or learning a new language. Repair/recycle gets rid of old cells, precancerous cells, and goes after any sources of inflammation. The problem is the majority of us, myself included, has spent the majority of time in the growth phase because of carbs and snacks.
            Is one of the benefits of ADF and also the 1 meal DD vs. 3 small meals on DD (like u said earlier) giving you more "repair/recycle"?
            thats what you were saying, right?

            what you wrote me was very helpful for me to understand a lot better! thanks

            I took your advice yesterday, I waited for 1 meal instead. It took be adjusting to that for like 4 weeks... waiting till night for the 1 meal. I could do it pretty easy yesterday, but I couldn't wait til 6. I ate at 4 and was just fine.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Strife View Post
              I'm on my second DD. Tweaking things from last time, which ended with a massive crash and gorging at the end of the day. I had a cup of coffee with a bit of heavy cream for breakfast/lunch, and will just be enjoying water until dinner time (I've got some salmon I'll be cooking for that). While I'm a little hungry, having the coffee is definitely helping things. I'm not feeling hollowed out like I was last time.
              The Fast-5 protocol, a 19/5 window of eating plan, suggests easing into it by pushing your first meal back gradually. It's okay to take all the time you need. It's not failure.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                Chiming in for the first time.
                I am doing the 5:2 protocol (5UD,2DD). I am choosing to eat Primal allowed foods even though some 5:2 peeps do it with SAD as do the JUDDD gang.
                I am almost at the end of my first week. Today is a DD and I am really hungry. Much more so than on Tuesday. My DD are zero cals until dinner, then I eat my 500. Really can't wait for dinner...
                what are you eating on your down days? (i'm always curious!)

                Originally posted by bhanes View Post
                Jumping in, been following this thread, love it by the way. I started out doing the fast 5 4 weeks ago until I read PK's fasting protocal so for the last 2 weeks I've been fasting 24hrs daily (one meal a day, dinner) and 40 hr fast from Sunday to Tuesday evening. I've lost 6.5 pounds in 3 weeks! Yay. :0). I've been primal for about a year but haven't lost much weight. I'm 5 7" started at 174 and now down to 167.5. I find this WOE exceptionally easy. I've not slept so good in years. Hoping all this good continues. Thanks for letting me join in on such a great group of people. Chow!
                Welcome both of you!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
                  Is one of the benefits of ADF and also the 1 meal DD vs. 3 small meals on DD (like u said earlier) giving you more "repair/recycle"?
                  thats what you were saying, right?
                  Yes, that repair/recycle is what so many people have been missing.

                  Comment


                  • Any Paleo ingredients I should get from the health/natural food store?

                    I was lucky enough to win a gift card to a natural food market and I wanted to use the opportunity to stock up on some primal ingredients that are hard to find at regular grocery stores so Zach and I can try to eat more Paleo.

                    So far on my list I have coconut butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, raw honey, and these Paleo Krunch bars my officemate loves. Any suggestions?
                    Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

                    http://tryingadf.blogspot.com


                    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

                    Comment


                    • Total lost for week #7 of ADF 5.8 lbs!!!! You guys I had to weigh myself 8 times on two different scales to believe it! That brings my total lost for the 7 weeks to 21.4 lbs, or an average of 3 lbs a week so far. I really needed that big whoosh as the last 3 weeks I only lost, .4, 1, and then gained .6 respectively. What's crazy is those last 3 weeks I wasn't cheating and I was still doing all my dd's but I had become laxed with adding more primal carbs and not being as vigilant about staying with my ud cals. So little things like that could be making the scale not move.

                      Almost Every dd this week I had salmon with home made cole slaw for dinner but my ud varied as I like variety. Here my MFP if you want to seevlo1125's profile at MyFitnessPal my food diary .

                      Elkay~ lucky! Only things I would add is grade b maple syrup, coconut flour, raw almond butter, almond flour. But those are really only necessary if you plan on making any primal desserts. Which I don't make often but I like having the ingredients on hand when I get the urge.
                      Last edited by vlo1125; 05-24-2013, 05:43 AM.
                      Veronica
                      High weight: 263.8 lbs
                      Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                      ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                      Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                      Goal: 145 lbs

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
                        what are you eating on your down days? (i'm always curious!)

                        Welcome both of you!
                        Thanks for the welcome!

                        On Down Days, I eat 1 meal, dinner. With 4oz of meat, a salad with OO & V plus 1/2 an avocado, and a coffee with 2 tbsp HWC. I am choosing to make my one meal ketogenic because I don't want to spike my insulin after a fast of nearly 24 hrs. I have just come off a 5 month experiment with nutritional ketosis. I am using the best of what I learned through that on my DDs.

                        On my UDs I am aiming for 75-100carbs as recommended by Mark for weight loss. This should also help with hormonal balance even with the periodic Fast Days. Part of the reason I am not full keto anymore is that it did not stop my binge eating disorder. Both Julia Ross and Elizabeth Schwarzbein believe that women need a min amount of healthy carb to stay in balance and that binging is often due to hormonal imbalance. Part of my 5:2 N=1 will be to track my binge behavior.
                        Primal since 9/24/2010
                        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

                        Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

                        Comment


                        • uice and broth went well till about 2:30 pm. Hunger hit hard, and I was glad to be at the dentist. Hunger lessened after 4:30 pm, but still, despite the foot bath, I ate almond butter with cocoa nibs and tea, a small apple and 6 oz blackberries in the evening. Faught the best I could what I ate into Fitday, got some 870 cals, which is about minimal I ingested before on one day (below 1000 is always a HUGE challenge). Went for a walk, ~ 50 min or so, swam for 35 min and did BW static squatting for like 20 min or so the way the book recommended for a Red Juice Day/Chakra #1...)

                          Doing the same today (but today's juice color is Orange, and I am cutting out one tbsp of oil, since juice is more plentiful), though having a supper of warm mushed cauliflower and an egg + a piece of fruit. Or maybe exactly the same thing as yesterday.

                          Minus 2 lbs on the scale this morning, which gives me a hope to pull a maintain this week on my Saturday weigh in (need 132 lbs, was 133 lbs, but 2 hrs earlier than I weigh in on Sat). Fingers crossed I don't have to record another gain!
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                          Comment


                          • 5:2 Week 1 Report

                            Starting wt. 223.4 Today 217.3 -6.1 Don't get too excited, I am re losing weight I lost on a Nutritional Ketosis plan. Still up 1.5 from NK low of 215.8.

                            I seem to be able to lose weight as well on this plan as on NK with less of a deprived feeling. Too early to tell if my binge eating disorder will improve. The nice thing is that if I binge I can just call it an UP Day...Like way the heck UP.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

                            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

                            Comment


                            • Any Paleo ingredients I should get from the health/natural food store?

                              I was lucky enough to win a gift card to a natural food market and I wanted to use the opportunity to stock up on some primal ingredients that are hard to find at regular grocery stores so Zach and I can try to eat more Paleo.

                              So far on my list I have coconut butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, raw honey, and these Paleo Krunch bars my officemate loves. Any suggestions?
                              Everything you have listed is available in Superstore, here in Canada, which is a big supermarket. The things that I buy in an Organic store are stuff like Hymalian salt, raw macadamia and Brazil nuts, seaweed (though Asian T&T supermarket carry that too) and non-homogenized milk for my daughter. I have never bought coconut sugar, but that's only available in specialty store here, and one thing that is not available, but I wish it was, and I would suggest you check the market for is coconut aminos that can be used instead fo soy sauce.

                              Again, from Canadian experience, where we can't get raw except for cheese, I would check out cheese selection.

                              And, id I were treating myself - game meat. I love game meat, but only get a small piece or two a year from the hunters in the building, lol!
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Leida View Post
                                uice and broth went well till about 2:30 pm. Hunger hit hard, and I was glad to be at the dentist. Hunger lessened after 4:30 pm, but still, despite the foot bath, I ate almond butter with cocoa nibs and tea, a small apple and 6 oz blackberries in the evening. Faught the best I could what I ate into Fitday, got some 870 cals, which is about minimal I ingested before on one day (below 1000 is always a HUGE challenge). Went for a walk, ~ 50 min or so, swam for 35 min and did BW static squatting for like 20 min or so the way the book recommended for a Red Juice Day/Chakra #1...)

                                Doing the same today (but today's juice color is Orange, and I am cutting out one tbsp of oil, since juice is more plentiful), though having a supper of warm mushed cauliflower and an egg + a piece of fruit. Or maybe exactly the same thing as yesterday.

                                Minus 2 lbs on the scale this morning, which gives me a hope to pull a maintain this week on my Saturday weigh in (need 132 lbs, was 133 lbs, but 2 hrs earlier than I weigh in on Sat). Fingers crossed I don't have to record another gain!
                                Forgive me if you explained this but what's with the juice? Isn't that going to cause a blood sugar spike and hunger? Or does the oil attempt to combat this? I think you'd feel fuller if you ate on dd's (protein, fats, veg) instead of drink your cals no?
                                Veronica
                                High weight: 263.8 lbs
                                Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                                ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                                Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                                Goal: 145 lbs

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X