Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Either of those sound interesting, though I'm not sure I could keep something extreme up for more than several days. Depending on what it is, of course. At the moment I am trying to stay on the steak-and-eggs challenge for one more week.

    Something I'm feeling in the back of my mind is to try out different things on my down days. One would be a potato fast. Perhaps the next, plain greek yogurt only. Another, macadamia nuts. Or cacao beans. Or even 2 or 3 days in a row of restricted calories, but maybe not quite as restricted as a down day. On monodiets you are often permitted to eat all you want, but you stop wanting much food quickly, as you get really bored with eating only one thing.

    All this steak and eggs is making me want to do something different.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      Either of those sound interesting, though I'm not sure I could keep something extreme up for more than several days. Depending on what it is, of course. At the moment I am trying to stay on the steak-and-eggs challenge for one more week.

      .
      Ya, 7 days was all i was thinking...

      I think I'm going to start Steak and tomato on my DD. 3 of my DD. we shall seeeeee.
      So M,W,F DD's... saturday=weigh in!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
        Ya, 7 days was all i was thinking...

        I think I'm going to start Steak and tomato on my DD. 3 of my DD. we shall seeeeee.
        So M,W,F DD's... saturday=weigh in!
        I have a couple of tomatoes in the house to eat. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Maybe I'll do a steak-and-tomato down day.

        Comment


        • Fast-5 can be a useful protocol - it does make you think about what you consume in your eating window to maximise nutrition, and I think using it in combination with Primal eating would make the best of it. Of course, there are those who see the eating window as a challenge of "how much can I cram into five hours?". Going face down in multiple buckets of Sara Lee UltraChoc Icecream all window long won't maximise your results...

          For anyone curious about the reasoning behind Fast-5, the free e-book (.pdf) which is explains it all is available from the main website: Welcome to the Fast-5 website | Fast-5 Life There are also two official Facebook groups (open and members-only) with a very nice bunch of people.
          I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

          Oscar Wilde

          Comment


          • Congrats on all the progress people! I am jealous of you eKatherine. I miss being 140!

            I finally got the scale to move down another pound for 14 lbs lost in 6 weeks. Maybe it was cutting out the alcohol for the week. I am going to try to cut back more on the wine at social events. Got some compliments from friends that hadn't seen me since prior to starting ADF this weekend on how I look, so that is a good dose of encouragement.
            Blogging my weight loss experiment using alternate day fasting here:

            http://tryingadf.blogspot.com


            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

            Comment


            • So... I think I put on muscle weight? The last three days we've been working HARD putting in fence. Lots of heavy lifting, pulling, pushing, etc. My diet has been just fine, but the scale went up 2 pounds. So... does muscle weight show up that fast if I still have a lot of weight to lose, or am I retaining water weight because I'm working so hard?
              The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

              Comment


              • I don't know if having weight to loss would impact how quickly muscle mass builds. I've always been able to build it up pretty fast once I start working out.

                Anyway: Tomorrow is going to be my first down day. I'll treat it as a 24 hour fast. From dinner tonight until the same time tomorrow night. Just some coffee and limited cream during the day. Not sure what to break the fast with, though. Or even if I should, given the coffee/cream consumption.
                The Age of Strife- My continuing journey to a happier, healthier, more natural lifestyle.

                Comment


                • Still here! DD today. Weekend was a struggle. Friday was a DD but we pulled our camper out of storage and headed to the wilderness for the first time of the season. This involves a lot of work. I think I had a small something for lunch and was going to try to limit dinner but pretty sure I went over 500 cal. I am sure it was probably below 800-900 though.

                  So yesterday was supposed to be a DD if I was going to stick to alternate days but I turned it into more of a medium day Going out to eat with a good friend on Tuesday and wanted that to be my UD. I plan to keep on track this week to a fault. Following week I will be in Mexico...don't quite know what I will do about eating there..

                  I'm up for any challenges anyone would like to throw at me!

                  Comment


                  • Today was my week 1 weigh-in. I've only lost 0.5 lbs (maybe--I have an analog scale, and it kept shifting between 141 and 142 so I'm assuming that it's 141.5). Let's hope that it was 0.5 lbs of fat, rather than something else. I was hoping for a more rapid weight loss, but, oh well, at least I'm not continuously losing and regaining the same 5 pounds of water weight. I will be patient and persevere. Maybe if I didn't go out and drink like a fish on my UDs, I'd lose more quickly--heh! But gotta have a social life sometimes, ya know. God knows I have little enough of that these days.

                    My journal

                    Comment


                    • Steak and tomato DD round 1 complete. I ate it for the day, went to spin class...now off to work. thank g-d I work late, so I don't think about dinner.. my meal was totally tasty and satisfying !

                      guess what everyone?! I graduate tomorrow! I know it's off topic, but I'm so excited and I wanted to share. I went back to college and finished! Tomorrow is also an UD and I'll be celebrating with a bowl of pineapple and whipped cream (no sugar)
                      or maybe coconut flower dark chocolate cookies! (all instead of cake, which I don't even want anymore) yippie!!

                      I can feel a big weight drop coming... my spin shorts were a little too big today! what a great Grad-present to myself.

                      Comment


                      • Congratulations!

                        I wasn't able to make it a down day. At 12:30 I realized I needed to eat and started weighing out steak. I ended up making it into a kimchi stew, and while waiting for it to cook I ate bacon, cheese, ham, and beef from the fridge. It was a real protein load. I think the time has run out on this steak experiment for me. It's time to start listening to my body.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                          Congratulations!

                          I wasn't able to make it a down day. At 12:30 I realized I needed to eat and started weighing out steak. I ended up making it into a kimchi stew, and while waiting for it to cook I ate bacon, cheese, ham, and beef from the fridge. It was a real protein load. I think the time has run out on this steak experiment for me. It's time to start listening to my body.


                          So was it a worthwhile experiment?
                          I need to lean out without losing much more weight, and had considered the steak and eggs - but I thought maybe it's one of those diets that works better for men? Also no sure if I could handle just steak and egg morrning and night.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
                            So... I think I put on muscle weight? The last three days we've been working HARD putting in fence. Lots of heavy lifting, pulling, pushing, etc. My diet has been just fine, but the scale went up 2 pounds. So... does muscle weight show up that fast if I still have a lot of weight to lose, or am I retaining water weight because I'm working so hard?
                            I would say you are retaining water in your muscles. After a weights session I often weigh a kilo more the next day - which is about 2 pound. But that's good - it means something is happening repair wise and you are getting stronger from it.

                            Comment


                            • Yeah for you Yoga! Going back to school can be difficult as a grown up..I did it too and it made me appreciate the work a little more. AND made me wish I didn't screw off so much the first time around

                              Difficult DD today. I am hungry...holding strong though. Had a cucumber and vinegar for lunch, coffee with almond milk/cream this morning, and kielbasa and some green beans for dinner. More tea now.. Probably around 525 calories because there was butter on the beans so I will over estimate a little. Also snacked on some pickles.

                              I have been fighting with some pretty strong fatigue lately so off to the doc I go tomorrow.. I have already requested a thyroid function testing. Tired of being tired...eating paleo has really helped a lot of things, but this fatigue and lack of weight loss is starting to get to me..

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by lucy1984 View Post
                                So was it a worthwhile experiment?
                                I need to lean out without losing much more weight, and had considered the steak and eggs - but I thought maybe it's one of those diets that works better for men? Also no sure if I could handle just steak and egg morrning and night.
                                It was definitely worthwhile. I haven't lost a lot of weight, but I am looking a lot leaner. It will be a couple of days before my weight settles down again.

                                I might do something like it again, but I would have to figure out what I need to have going on with my macros.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X