Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
    I was doing regular up days and down days for a few weeks before I started the steak-and-eggs challenge. Now I am trying to keep my calories between around 1300 and 1500 calories on a regular steak-and-eggs day, during which I eat two meals (lunch and supper) or just one (supper). That feels like plenty of food. My carb reload day I have set a goal of 1800 calories of seafood, vegetables, fruit, and chocolate, no other added fat. Last week I had one total fast day, and I will do that tomorrow as well. After my fast day I was expecting to have a heavy feed day, but I wasn't very hungry after all.
    So you are basically doing 1 fasting day a week? I was thinking if I should switch to 5:2 or 4 :3 till I am done with S&E, so far I am able to manage every other day being DD.

    Comment


    • Another smaller Down Day for me yesterday. It is interesting to me how my experience of Down Days is evolving.

      I began with total fasts(water/tea only). These were easy.

      Next, 420 calorie days. The first ones were AGONIZING! (Okay, slight exaggeration. But difficult.) But then I adjusted. Mostly to eating JUST A LITTLE. Restraint is hard for me.

      I have tried a few different combinations of macros on the 420 plan. Balanced, high-fat, high-protein. I think I LIKE high-fat the best, but high-protein is the best FOR me.

      Now I am finding my 420K days are slipping towards 320K days. Not on purpose, it is just happening. I am not that hungry, and I get busy and don't want to be bothered to eat.

      I think the best thing to pass on to any newbies from this is: your experience at the beginning may change. Don't worry that if it is hard/uncomfortable at first, that it will always be so. Push through. By my third 420K Down Day, it was already getting easier. I have had some sporadic hard ones again, but hey, that's life. Some days will always be harder than others, regardless of what you are doing.
      Last edited by Sabine; 05-16-2013, 07:48 AM.

      Comment


      • Well I couldn't preform a miracle this week, 210.4 lbs so I'm up .4 for the week first time I've gained since starting ADF but completely my own fault for over doing carbs and eating too much on Mother's Day. Hope this week brings a big loss to compensate, going to try my hardest. my weight next Friday will be a surprise to me cause im Going to make my husband hide the scale this week. It'll be nerve wracking but I need a break from watching the scale bounce up and down every other day.
        Veronica
        High weight: 263.8 lbs
        Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
        ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
        Current weight: 177.6 lbs
        Goal: 145 lbs

        Comment


        • First official DD went well! I have fasted (usually did a 18hr fast but didn't really watch calories...had a large evening meal) before so this wasn't a shock. I had a cucumber in vinegar for lunch. Once a week when I grocery shop I have sushi...better than a donut, huh? So that was my "meal" yesterday. I had a rainbow roll that I would eat a slice of when I was starting to feel hungry. I was out of the house in the evening so that made things a bit easier. Hard to tell calorie count in sushi, on line estimates anywhere between 200-550 so I guessed with that, my cuke, and almond milk in coffee I probably was close to 500. Not really hungry yet today but made some eggs and tomato.

          Worst mistake by FAR yesterday was throwing a roast in the crockpot for the family...it smelled GOOD. That was dumb

          I weigh daily. Keeps me on track...

          Comment


          • Glad your first dd went well Amy! I also weigh daily, have for over 10 years but I just find its been bothering me lately. Like I weighed less on Saturday then I do today and it makes me mad. So just for this week I'm gonna take a break and weigh at the week mark instead.

            Have a yummy day ahead of me, had bacon with fried egg in bacon fat and yogurt topped with chopped banana, strawberry, almonds, and dark chocolate for breakfast. Lunch will be a chorizo burger I had frozen from this recipe I made a few weeks agoHealth-Bent | Paleo Recipes | Fried Egg Chorizo Burgers with Caramelized Onions
            On an oopsie bun with a side of thisSavory Vegetable Pancakes | Joyful Abode instead of carrot I'm using zucchini. And dinner is going to be Carne Bistec - Colombian Steak with Onions and Tomatoes | Skinnytaste on riced cauliflower and topped with a fried egg. Sigh I love UD's!
            Veronica
            High weight: 263.8 lbs
            Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
            ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
            Current weight: 177.6 lbs
            Goal: 145 lbs

            Comment


            • Originally posted by vlo1125 View Post
              Well I couldn't preform a miracle this week, 210.4 lbs so I'm up .4 for the week first time I've gained since starting ADF but completely my own fault for over doing carbs and eating too much on Mother's Day. Hope this week brings a big loss to compensate, going to try my hardest. my weight next Friday will be a surprise to me cause im Going to make my husband hide the scale this week. It'll be nerve wracking but I need a break from watching the scale bounce up and down every other day.
              gosh I know it's stressful, but driving yourself crazy over it will only make it worse! HIDE that damn scale and focus more on your Calorie intake, fruit (banana) and nut consumption, take small break from them, you can come back, I know it will go back to losing weight. Maybe eating something that you shouldn't be thats making you bounce around so much this week, like a sauce, or topping? If you are REALLY honest with yourself you know what to cut out for a while or maybe not each as much of something... So what is holding on to your body? do you know?

              I don't weigh everyday.. if I haven't gone to the bathroom yet... the scale is totally off! sorry if that was TMI!

              Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              Next, 420 calorie days. The first ones were AGONIZING! (Okay, slight exaggeration. But difficult.) But then I adjusted. Mostly to eating JUST A LITTLE. Restraint is hard for me.
              .

              Whats your Menu look like for the day if your hitting such low cals?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by moon7 View Post
                So you are basically doing 1 fasting day a week? I was thinking if I should switch to 5:2 or 4 :3 till I am done with S&E, so far I am able to manage every other day being DD.
                I'm thinking if I were to repeat this cycle after the group effort has ended I might try doing one down day of about 400 calories and one that is a full fast, a regular up day, a heavier up day, a couple of moderate days (all of these still steak and eggs or simply VLC), and then a carb day of 1800 calories with no added fat, lean protein. I feel like I'm still getting used to the protocol.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
                  gosh I know it's stressful, but driving yourself crazy over it will only make it worse! HIDE that damn scale and focus more on your Calorie intake, fruit (banana) and nut consumption, take small break from them, you can come back, I know it will go back to losing weight. Maybe eating something that you shouldn't be thats making you bounce around so much this week, like a sauce, or topping? If you are REALLY honest with yourself you know what to cut out for a while or maybe not each as much of something... So what is holding on to your body?
                  Definitely plantains, been on the menu twice a week lately and over eating calories on two recent UD's. so none of that this week! we shall see what the scale says next week. I feel really good abou today, planned out my menu and not only is it delicious but I'm gonna only have 48 carbs and 2088 cals. It's better when i plan my menu the day before its easier to stay within my targets.
                  Veronica
                  High weight: 263.8 lbs
                  Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                  ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                  Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                  Goal: 145 lbs

                  Comment


                  • UD so far- pint of milk some pulled pork and mashed taters, small handful of cashews and half an apple. Dunno calories, never count. Feelin' pretty good. I over ate the last UD and went backward in weight. After yesterday's DD I am 263.4. I am hoping by keeping myself in check on this UD, I will stay the same for tomorrow. I guess I am always afraid that if I don't eat enough on my UD I'll go crazy on my DD.
                    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Yoga11 View Post
                      Whats your Menu look like for the day if your hitting such low cals?
                      These are my last two 'inadvertently low' Down Days:

                      3:00pm 4oz salmon with 1t homemayo 133K 20P
                      6:30pm 4oz salmon with 1 t homemayo and 1C greens 183K 24P
                      =316K 44P

                      and

                      12:30pm small package of beef jerky 100K 18P
                      3:30 4oz salmon with 1t homemayo 133K 20P
                      = 233K 38P

                      My 420K Down Days are usually three feedings, and often have some liverwurst or cheese thrown into the mix.

                      I had a nice Up Day yesterday(definitely NO calorie counting), but wasn't hungry enough to eat everything my brain wanted. (I ate SOME of it anyways, but not all. No sense in being ridiculous!) Strangely, my weight went DOWN again this morning. Maybe it will bounce back up after my Down Day!

                      Comment


                      • Second DD today. I need to figure out if I am going to have a few smaller 'meals' throughout the day or just save it for one normalish size meal. Today is a busy day, we are going camping for the first time this season and that always involves a lot of work getting stuff back in the camper and all ready to go. I worry I will be really hungry by the time it is done and I am sitting around the fire!

                        Comment


                        • I fasted yesterday and haven't eaten yet. I'm trying to decide if I want to eat lunch or save my appetite and break the fast tonight at a nice restaurant. This morning my weight was down to 140, a weight I have not seen in more than 20 years.

                          Comment


                          • Every time I see this thread, I feel sooo envious. You guys rock!
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                              I fasted yesterday and haven't eaten yet. I'm trying to decide if I want to eat lunch or save my appetite and break the fast tonight at a nice restaurant. This morning my weight was down to 140, a weight I have not seen in more than 20 years.
                              140! nice!!! go Ekatherine!

                              Originally posted by Leida View Post
                              Every time I see this thread, I feel sooo envious. You guys rock!
                              Awwww! thanks Leida, you should jump on board!!

                              Comment


                              • So I recieved two different readings from the scale is this mornin. One reflected 1/2 pound loss one reported a pound lost. I weighed first thing after waking a got the 1/2 lb reading. An hour later after chores I decided to weigh again and got the pound loss. I have found that if I wait an hour or so after waking up to weigh, I get a different reading. Obviously in that time I do not consume anything. Either way, it's a loss after an UD and Im happy with that. I will meet this month's goal again. Only 2.4 lbs away!
                                The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X