No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming I can ever get to maintenance, I think I'd like to do something like 5:2 with a warrior diet.

On the LC friends forum, it seems as though there are a number of people doing JUDDD with fast 5. Doesn't seem that far off from JUDDD with warrior-style. Although, I'm not sure that I can eat 1700 calories (my UD) at one meal on a regular basis...
    -- Ruth

Comment

First question: Are any of you responsible for cooking for someone else (child, husband, elderly parent) and if so, how do you handle fasting or doing the down day while fixing food for others? I ask because I have to prepare meals (well, at least dinner) for my mom. While she understands this new way of eating (Primal), I think if I told her I was fasting, it could lead to a conversation I don't want to have. I did visit Dr. Johnson's UDDD page for the details, and see I can have around 500 calories on the down day, so I realize I'm not exactly fasting.
      Second question: Should I do the 500 calories within a certain time frame, or spread it out? I can easily consume those calories with my bulletproof coffee and a tasty protein shake in the first part of the day.
      Last edited by desertcreature; 03-27-2013, 06:16 PM. Reason: clarification
      "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Comment

^Yes. I save my DD calories for one nice meal with DH and mom. I cook extra on UDs so there's always food for DH - it is sometimes too tempting on DD (not because I'm hungry, but I'm rather sensitive to cues and I like to taste what I'm cooking). Honestly, I haven't told DH about this (the latest in many different tweaks) and he has not appeared to notice - even when we went on a trip together.
        -- Ruth

Comment

Forgot your 2nd question I like one meal - it seems to fill me up and I don't require anything else. Others do well to split it up. From what I can tell, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
          -- Ruth

Comment

So it requires 36 hours to effect the SR whateveritscalled chemical? dang it. Hunger was prevalent today. Was going to come home and eat a little. 7pm was the 24 hour mark. Looks like I'll be waiting until morning.
            The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
              So it requires 36 hours to effect the SR whateveritscalled chemical? dang it. Hunger was prevalent today. Was going to come home and eat a little. 7pm was the 24 hour mark. Looks like I'll be waiting until morning.
              I think that's what someone said above....but I am not sure how hard and fast that is? You could always start out aiming for the 24 hours, then after you get used to it try for 36hours? The fasting has to be for life for permanent benefit anyway, so it really wouldn't matter if it takes a few months to get to the 36 hour fast.

Regarding cooking for others - I don't fortunately, I cook for myself and hubby cooks for himself, unless it's a special occasion. But actually that's hard because when I was hungry last night and had my little salad, he had a giant steak with mash potato and some scones! I actually think though that it's easier this way - as it's only twice a week I have to cut calories, giving me more lee way the other days to cook a meal we'll both eat, that isn't being forced to fit around some pre-determined calorie level for me. If that makes sense?

I ate two small meals, but some people do a single one. I think one of the actual control trials, where women feasted one day, fasted the next, it was a single 500cal meal for lunch.

Comment

I think there is some confusion here about down day.................. its not a 36 hour completely NO food fast. Its 36 hours with only 500 +/- calories. Its never a complete fast.

So, say its your UP day. You eat normally all day long then after dinner starts the 36 hours. Say 7 PM Monday - so for the next 36 hours - you eat only 500 ish calories. At 7 AM Wednesday you start UP day again and will eat to satiety that day.

Am I right?
                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion
                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Originally posted by tomi View Post
                  I think there is some confusion here about down day.................. its not a 36 hour completely NO food fast. Its 36 hours with only 500 +/- calories. Its never a complete fast.

So, say its your UP day. You eat normally all day long then after dinner starts the 36 hours. Say 7 PM Monday - so for the next 36 hours - you eat only 500 ish calories. At 7 AM Wednesday you start UP day again and will eat to satiety that day.

Am I right?

That is what I am doing, but only twice per week, not every other day

Comment

How many calories in low carb internet spam?^^^^^

Comment

Although, I'm not sure that I can eat 1700 calories (my UD) at one meal on a regular basis...
                      Try more fat, like coconut milk! I can easily eat 3500 calories in one meal. Pound of meat (use drippings as broth, adding bone stock before drinking), side of cooked veggies, a few eggs, some avocados, and a cup of coconut milk - or two!
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I can remember in one of the fast threads over the summer, someone mentioned eating 500 calories per day. Perhaps this was the reasoning. Then again, with my memory, it might have been 50 --- but seems like 500.

I thought of that during the night last night. Funny the things you think about when trying to go to sleep. Also thought of this. I remember someone asking about it not being a real fast. And thought this info might be helpful.

Food for a Fast | Perfect Health Diet
                        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by desertcreature View Post
                          First question: Are any of you responsible for cooking for someone else (child, husband, elderly parent) and if so, how do you handle fasting or doing the down day while fixing food for others? I ask because I have to prepare meals (well, at least dinner) for my mom. While she understands this new way of eating (Primal), I think if I told her I was fasting, it could lead to a conversation I don't want to have. I did visit Dr. Johnson's UDDD page for the details, and see I can have around 500 calories on the down day, so I realize I'm not exactly fasting.
                          Second question: Should I do the 500 calories within a certain time frame, or spread it out? I can easily consume those calories with my bulletproof coffee and a tasty protein shake in the first part of the day.
                          my DD is not even primal.. we are working on it though. When it comes to meals, I make what she will eat and what I will eat. We don't do a lot of sides or "formal meals" so cooking two different things is no big deal. You can spread out the 500 calories so you can eat as a family. You need to portion and weigh to account for your calories. If you are making primal meals its that much easier. Some of us pre-journal our meals (especially on DD's) to help us plan the day. On MFP, you can friend us and get ideas on how we do the DD and what we eat and maybe that will help with your predicament.

For the last part, if consuming all your calories at one time is causing concern, don't do it. Yup.. easy to get 500 calories in a single serving but depending on your situation with family and work it may not be optimal.
                          Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Uh oh, down day is the same acronym as dear daughter.

Comment

Desert creature- I cook for my kids on my Down Days. (My Honey is doing JUDDD with me, so I don't have to worry about him.) We only eat dinner together, so it is pretty easy. I make them a normal meal, and then I sit with them, talking and drinking water if I am not eating anything right then, or eating my soup or salad, if I am having something. They know I am doing it, but they don't really focus on what i am eating, and we don't talk about it, so there's been no ruckus.

I have found no difficulty in making food for OTHERS when I am not eating, it is making only a SMALL amount for myself that is hard. But I'm getting used to it.

Tomi- yes, you have it right. The time starts after you finish your last food on your Up Day. But I think it is 30 hours, not 36. Not that 36 wouldn't work well. I prefer fasting completely, but when I am eating on a Down Day, I have found that three small feedings, at 10, 2, and 6, approx., work very well. Here's what I ate last time:

Small spinach salad, with 1/2 hard egg, 1 strip bacon, 1Tvinegar (105K)
                              Yogurt(130K)
                              Vegetable soup with poached egg(115K)
                              Last edited by Sabine; 03-28-2013, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sjmc View Post
                                Uh oh, down day is the same acronym as dear daughter.
                                LOL.. true. I noticed that
                                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X