No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just ate the last potato of the pound I boiled: 327 calories. That leaves me 50 calories for a snack when I get home, or should I say "snack". It's a good thing tomorrow is an UD.

Comment

• Originally posted by elkay7 View Post
      I need to check this forum everyday, wow I just read a lot of posts. I love that this support forum is so active.

I have this same issue Veronica, it takes me forever to lose a pant size because so much of my weight is distributed in my butt and thighs. I gave in a bought a scale this weekend since I realized pant size changes me take so long and I might be demotivated by that. I have lost 4 lbs since I started last week. Progress tracked here: Lauren Tries Out Alternate Day Fasting

I feel like I have to eat in a paleo/primal way in order to stay below the 500 calorie threshold and get the nutrients I need. I managed to fit a yogurt into yesterday's fast day, which was exciting and decadent.

Also I like mom23kids's idea of doing 5:2 for maintenance. I would like to get to the point where I am at a healthy weight and just have maintenance work.

-Lauren
      Welcome Lauren! Do u just eat primal on dd's?

Sabine~ dang it! I was just at aldi today too, wish I would've seen the salmon I need to buy some as we don't get enough fish in our diet.

Dragonfly~ sounds yummy! Where do you get your meat? We haven't switched to grass fed yet because I can't get over the sticker shock. But I've been trying to see the prices for local farms, there's one not too far off from where I live but again prices are steep!

I had a good up day, actually went over my calories by 100 cause my husband wanted to try some of the red wine we just bought at trader joes. I've noticed the scale is usually up the day after a glass of wine so we shall see. I also had coffee ice cream I made and boy was it rich! The recipe called for coconut milk but I used heavy cream instead. For a second I thought I was going to accidentally make coffee flavored butter lol! It was so creamy and delicious but I had to separate in to 1/4 cup servings, as it has 337 calories and 29 g of fat in that amount! Here's the recipe in case anyone wants to try Coffee Ice Cream - The Food Lovers Kitchen next time ill probably do half coconut milk half heavy cream. Oh and also I use half the amount of syrup the recipe calls for plus 1 packet of stevia.
      Last edited by vlo1125; 04-15-2013, 05:43 PM.
      Veronica
      High weight: 263.8 lbs
      Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
      ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
      Current weight: 177.6 lbs
      Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

• Dragonfly~ sounds yummy! Where do you get your meat? We haven't switched to grass fed yet because I can't get over the sticker shock. But I've been trying to see the prices for local farms, there's one not too far off from where I live but again prices are steep!
        Veronica~ We get ours from a local farm about 30 min drive from here. So we go out once a month & stock up our freezer. They have monthly specials on their emails (great marketing, IMO!) and we got sirloin tips for $4.50 a pound! (I have paid 7.99 a pound in the past, as a comparison.)

Have you checked out eatwild.com?

Seeing more articles like this one today make me really glad we only buy grassfed, antibiotic & hormone-free meat.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

• Well suffice it to say that my dd today turned into an up day. I am seriously considering doing my dd on my work days. Doing it on off days just very difficult.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Hello everyone!

I've been lurking in this thread since its inception and have finally decided to take the plunge! I lost @100lbs several years back while vegan and have maintained since then while eating a Paleo-style diet. These days I'm more of a WAPF/Perfect Health Diet kinda gal. Anyway, I would like to drop-kick the final 30ish pounds that I've lugged around but would like to do so in a way that is sustainable, and I think the 5:2 is something that would jive with me [that is, if the UDDD protocol is successful!].

Yesterday was my first DD and it wasn't bad, actually. I ate one small meal later in the day: Grilled skirt steak and roasted sweet potato ~500 cal. I smiled when I got out of bed this morning knowing that a good breakfast was awaiting me. I had eggs fried in coconut oil, bacon and hash browns. I spent the morning doing yard work and then came in a gnawed on a chicken thigh and leg with a glass of kombucha. Dinner was a bowl of sprouted rice and lentils with hot buttered kale and grilled skirt steak.

I love the support and kindness of this thread. Thank you for being so inclusive!

Comment

• I also have been reading this thread, although it got away from me a few pages back....
              I am currently doing a two day per week fast, but considering going to 3 days per week (fasting mon-tues-wed), mainly because it better approximates the ADF which is what the clinical trials etc have used, but avoids the issue of having to fast different days per week, which would drive me crazy - and Mon - Wed-Fri coincides well with days I am out and about and busy, and therefore distracted. I also want to increase my fast days because I love the feeling of the day AFTER the fast day - food tastes AWESOME, more satisfying, and I get a sense of calm about me.

Comment

• I also chose to make my DDs days when I'm out of the house. I recently started school again at the age of 48 and it's fabulous to have that intellectual interaction again as well as a change of scenery. So, I'm using school days as DDs and since I CrossFit and play soccer or swim on the other days, I chose those as my UDs. Lucy, you're also bang-on about being more grateful and appreciative of good food on UDs, I know I feel this way.

Comment

• I cooked a pound of potatoes for myself in advance. I don't know why I thought that was going to be enough. It was about 325 calories, and I was supposed to eat 376, which would have been enough. I ended up eating a small meatball, but next time I will cook up enough potatoes.

Seeing more abs here and more hourglass shape.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
                    I always stall, get frustrated and give up around 20-25lbs mark. But, here I am 42 lbs down and still cookin'. I can almost see the disbelief on their faces. It's a wonderful thing.
                    Woot! Great progress. It's nice when it finally, FINALLY clicks!

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                    Discovered something this morning at Aldi, which I think will fit nicely into Down Day menus: wild-caught salmon fillets, 4oz each at 100K, with 20g protein.
                    Aldi must do this worldwide - they sell them here in Australia too. I buy their salmon most weeks - it's really good.

Originally posted by Leaflard View Post
                    I love the support and kindness of this thread. Thank you for being so inclusive!
                    Welcome Leaflard!
                    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Hi Leaflard and Lucy. Always good to see more people giving this a try.

I was really satisfied by the salmon, and kind of surprised that I was. I mean, it was only 133 calories with my teaspoon of mayonaise. I guess the combination of protein and fats was just right. It kept me feeling, not FULL exactly, but stomach-happy for at least four hours. Then I got hungry, but too busy to eat, and finished off with a spinach salad at dinner time. A pretty good Down Day.

My weight is essentially bouncing between two numbers. I am looking forward to the next dip PAST my regular low. I think now that my period is past, it will be coming soon, as long as I do nothing foolish.

Comment

• I felt like I ate like a linebacker yesterday [2000 calories] and when I finally was able to get into bed near midnight [had to pick my partner up from the airport], I was hungry! Crazy times LOL Anyway, I'm not hungry now and this enormous mug of black coffee that's sitting in front of me is what I most want. I'm about to start my 1.5 hour commute to school in half an hour. I hope you all have non-stressful and satisfying days.

Comment

• Heyoo Leaflard and Lucy! Can't wait to hear of your success!

I'm not even going to GLANCE at the scale today. I was very bad yesterday evening. Oh so VERY bad. Som and I went out for our 2 year anniversary. We went to a place that has won awards for the best Pork Tenderloins in Iowa. Now, this is a huge deal. You won't really find "pork tenderloin sandwich" on menus outside of Iowa. It's really an Iowa thing seeings how we raise so much (factory) pork. Anyway, I was reading the menu and it said they had won "Best Pork Tenderloin in Iowa" award three years in a row. So, what did I do? I ordered it. And I ate it. And it was marvelous. Marvelous fried slab of pork on a too small bun with a side of steak fries like I've never had. Yeah... I ate half of it. By the time I got home, I was paying for it too.

TMI- but I hadn't had a BM in over a week... until last night. The wheat blast from that sandwich made sure it happened. I'm feeling... just "ok" this morning. I notice I am a bit puffy, I FEEL heavier (bloat) and a little hazy instead of my morning clarity. I have absolutely no urge to eat or consume anything outside coffee. I know I will be paying for this on the scales for at least a week.

But, oh well. It's over now. It was my anniversary. Ya know, though, I do this kind of thing every so often, maybe once a month and I always wind up feeling the same kind of shitty afterward... why do I keep doing it? Old habits die hard, I suppose.

A group of friends started a "30 day squat challenge." I got to 25 before my knees were screaming! This is an improvement from when I first started primal. I tried squats and got to 10 before my knees were howling. Guess 42 lbs does make a difference, even if not in pants size.

Blessings to ya'll and have a good day!
                          The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

• Well, I'm down a pound since yesterday! I did go way over my down day calories...650 instead of 550, but I figure that wasn't too bad. I DID reinforce in my mind that I am NOT completely over stress eating, lol.

Originally posted by Leaflard View Post
                            Hello everyone!
                            Welcome!!

Originally posted by lucy1984 View Post
                            I love the feeling of the day AFTER the fast day - food tastes AWESOME, more satisfying, and I get a sense of calm about me.
                            Welcome! Yes, THIS! I notice that I truly do enjoy my food on the up days! I used to shovel food in, but I'm really enjoying it much more and my appetite does not increase on up days like I thought it would.

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            I cooked a pound of potatoes for myself in advance. I don't know why I thought that was going to be enough. It was about 325 calories, and I was supposed to eat 376, which would have been enough. I ended up eating a small meatball, but next time I will cook up enough potatoes.

Seeing more abs here and more hourglass shape.
                            Congrats on the abs!! During my first few down days I tried 3 bite-sized potatos, but I'm thinking on one of my down days next week, I may try a big one for lunch at work. I'm curious to see if it would keep me fuller...I've had a longstanding belief carbs make me hungrier, but I'm wondering if it's just the type of carb.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
                            My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• I came to this practice after doing a couple of day long fasts to give my digestive system a rest after a dietary insult(not to be mentioned at this time, but you can look at my journal if you must know. )
                              This is where I'm at also. I could stand to lose another 15lb or so, but the main reason for trying this is to give my stomach a break. I went to the doctor's office for a massage, and now my entire back hurts, especially my middle back. So my stomach hurts too right where my back hurts the worst. Yay for 360 deg pain! I'm not sure if the back pain is causing the stomach pain or if the stomach pain would have been there regardless and just feels worse because of the back issue.

Ideally, I would skip lunch, but I came to work prepared just in case. So far, I've had two cups of bulletproof tea (1tsp of butter and MCT oil/cup) for breakfast. For lunch, I brought 28g smoked salmon, 115g cucumber, a 90 calorie package of guacamole (I'll eat half) and roasted seaweed sheets. Oh, I almost forgot. I also brought bone broth spiced with mustard seeds, cinnamon and pepper, and some kind of dried, shredded tree fungus mushrooms. And more tea. Like I said: prepared.

For dinner, the plan is beef stir fry.

Comment

• well its confirmed me and wine dont get along! im up 1.4 lbs after yesterdays ud, yikes! im thinking it was the 4 oz glass of wine that did it as ive had my coffee ice cream on an ud before and havent had a problem. sad cause i love a glass from time to time and since ill be trying to get pregnant soon i kinda wanted to enjoy some before i cant anymore. but im not willing to see my weight go up so asta la vista wine! so basically the 1.4 that i dropped from my dd put back on......booo!

i watched the dr mosely pbs video, very inspiring, makes me feel like we're on the right track with ADF!

welcome leaflard! 100lbs is amazing, i hope ADF helps you with that last 30!

seems a couple of us hit some bumps yesterday, shake it off today is a new day. ive only been at this for 12 days but what helps me stick to my down day is sheer iron will, am i hungry? hell yea! does it matter? hell no! we gotta do what we gotta do!

heres to a good dd!
                                Veronica
                                High weight: 263.8 lbs
                                Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                                ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                                Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                                Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

Working...
                                X