No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I have some advice as to whether I am doing this correctly please?

I started on Sunday as an UD and my last meal was at 10.30pm
    Monday was my DD where I had 688 calories this ended today (Tuesday)at 7.30am.

Today my last meal will be around 6.30pm.

Does that sound okay? How many hours do people normally complete on the down day.

(still waiting for my book....)

Comment

• Originally posted by shrinkinglo View Post
      Does that sound okay? How many hours do people normally complete on the down day.
      I'm not sure there is a set way to do it. I haven't read the book either; I did read a bit on his website but don't remember if it said anything about that. So far, I haven't really done a set schedule. Some people find it easier to just have liquids throughout the day and then eat all their down day calories in one meal at the end of the day.

I haven't tried that yet. I have some coffee in the morning on the way to work, then I try to wait as long as possible to eat something. On a work day, I generally bring a small food meal (today just 2 hard boiled eggs) and then some broth for later in the day for my down day, then eat a smaller meal in the evening.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
      My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Leida~ so you aren't eating anything on your dd? See now that's heroic I could never, the only that keeps me sane is that I get at least 500 cals on my dd.

I held out till 6 pm for dinner and ate it in 7 minutes flat. I still feel hungry which is no good, ill have to drug myself tonight to get to sleep. Which I probably won't be able to now since my daughter slept for 4 hours this afternoon so she'll probably be up all night I chewed almost an entire pack of sugar free gum to make it through today. Today was not an easy dd.
        I planned not to, but broke down and ate during the class and then a couple of apples with a bit of yogurt when I came home, maybe 500 or so cals in total. But I dropped the weekend bulge, so it is good. I want to have a full day digestion break if I can once a week.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Comments on a bunch of different things

Wooo! I step away for a camping trip and come back to 11 pages to read. Y'all have been busy.

Shrinkinglo- that sounds perfect.

One of the aspects that is supposed to make ADF effective is the alternation between 'feast' and 'fast'. You do not want to eat low calorie too often on your Up Days, because too many low-calorie days IN A ROW, will signal your body that it needs to conserve energy. Regular 'feast' days will signal your body that there is plenty coming in, no need to worry. Then it is not reluctant to dip into the fat storage when it runs a little short on Down Days.

I'm doing a zero-calorie Down Day today. I was thinking about it yesterday, and decided I just did NOT want to bother with eating. (I thoroughly enjoyed my Up Day yesterday: Eggs Benedict with homemade Hollandaise from Mark's Sauce book, lox and cream cheese with capers, chicken thighs in a honey-butter-wine sauce. YUM!)

Anyone else who prefers not eating to eating a little on the Down Days?

On the weighing every day deal. I know it is a mass of fluctuations, but I love watching the numbers going (generally) downward. There was one week where my number from Saturday to Saturday was the SAME. If that was all I saw, I would be bummed. But looking at my chart, I can see the first Saturday was a low dip, and then after a little jump, the numbers went steadily downward, until a spike upward on the second Saturday(which was followed by a sharp dip the next day). It helps me keep in mind that this is a TREND.

But of course, that view is harder when you only have a few days worth of data to look at. I heard of someone who got her husband to write down her weight while she looked away, and she didn't look at the data until after a month. Don't know if I would have the chops for that, though! Too curious!

I got a copy of 'Eat, Fast, and Live Longer' yesterday. Read it in one sitting. It covers basically the same thing as the documentary. I would have liked to see a little more heft, but I gather they were trying to get SOMETHING into print after the wild success of the tv show. He does have an interesting comment toward the end. His wife thought he was losing weight too quickly and wanted him to maintain for a while, but at print time, he was starting up again, and was going to blog about it at wwwDOTthefastdietDOTcoDOTuk. I have not checked it out yet, but I am planning to this morning.

Comment

• One of the aspects that is supposed to make ADF effective is the alternation between 'feast' and 'fast'. You do not want to eat low calorie too often on your Up Days, because too many low-calorie days IN A ROW, will signal your body that it needs to conserve energy. Regular 'feast' days will signal your body that there is plenty coming in, no need to worry. Then it is not reluctant to dip into the fat storage when it runs a little short on Down Days.
            Makes sense, but with a low carb nutrient-dense diet, I wonder if the number of calories needed is less than the BMR calculators? I definitely eat to satiety on my ud, but there is no way I will overeat in order to meet some arbitrary number. Not meaning to argue--but my past experience with regular IF shows me that the appetite reduction of fasting works for me, without any significant reduction in metabolic rate--perhaps because I keep active?

Anyone else who prefers not eating to eating a little on the Down Days?
            I'm tempted to try this, now that I am feeling more in the "groove."
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

• Originally posted by Gladmorning View Post
              Im not using any numbers. I eat until satisfied on up days and only milk in coffee on down days. I have a basic idea of the calories im consuming on up days. Im just struggling because I decided to go on a potato binge.
              I have heard that milk should be avoided if you're trying to lose. Unless its whole cream. Did you know they add SUGAR to 1% milk? UGH!
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion
              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Sabine, I am in the "no eating" camp on down days. The only calories I consume are from my (own) goat milk in coffee.

Recovering from my carb fest. DD has been easy today. Just now starting to get hungry.

Yesterday, I made the Brazilian cheese bread made with tapioca that JoanieL mentioned in another thread. Pretty tasty. I'm going to keep it in mind for grilling season. I will really miss grilled burgers, but I think this will give me the option to have a "bun."

I just can't help but to weigh every day. I cannot keep myself off of it! It's bad, but whatever.
                The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

• weighing daily is only bad if it has control over your emotions. Otherwise it is just another data point.
                  Chris
                  "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                  Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I can go along with that, Chris. It obviously makes me happy if I see a loss, but I don't totally freak out if I see a gain. I get annoyed, but it just makes me more determined to continue on.

Comment

• Currently I am in the daily weighing camp, it is a piece of information. I went a long time without weighing and now don't know if what I was doing worked along the way and i just gained at the end when I started to get lazy about tracking or if the plan didn't work. It is data you cannot get back once you don't weigh. So far, this time around it is not effecting my mood so much as I am really determined to gather the information necessary to lose this weight and keep it off for good. Information is power!
                      Chris
                      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                      Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Information *IS* power.

Tomorrow I going to empower myself with the information to make fresh goat cheese. I'm getting enough milk in the house to have excess. Quite excited! I wish I had the energy to do it tonight, but I gotta go to bed soon.

I will have my left over stir fry for lunch tomorrow, oh yum yum. This time sans rice. That put me up two MORE lbs on the scale this morning. Back up to 280. I know it's water. I will recover in a week or so.

Comment

• I made a goat milk cheese not too long ago, it was yummy.

enough rice could back up the system, especially if you are not used to it, could be solid waste that showed up on the scale
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• I have been a little hungry today, but it has been well-behaved TrueHunger: I ignore it, and it goes away and tries again after a few hours. It doesn't constantly nag at me like MindHunger or SugarCravings.

I will be interested to see if there is a bigger than usual drop tomorrow after no food, versus ~400 calories.

Milk from your own goats is so cool!

I will be having a LITTLE rice tomorrow, to go along with my sashimi. It doesn't seem to have any negative impact on me, so I am glad to indulge once a week.

Comment

• Well my ud just hit a hiccup, it's gonna go slightly over because I forgot to enter an ingridients cals into my fitness pal for dinner.Going over by 290 calories, yikes! Lets see how that effects the scale tomorrow :/
                              Veronica
                              High weight: 263.8 lbs
                              Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                              ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                              Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                              Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                                Currently I am in the daily weighing camp, it is a piece of information. I went a long time without weighing and now don't know if what I was doing worked along the way and i just gained at the end when I started to get lazy about tracking or if the plan didn't work. It is data you cannot get back once you don't weigh. So far, this time around it is not effecting my mood so much as I am really determined to gather the information necessary to lose this weight and keep it off for good. Information is power!
                                I couldn't agree more. I get a little tired of the "forum wisdom" trying to make someone feel that that they are somehow a lesser Primal if they count or weigh anything including themselves. For some people who have obsessive tendencies, yes, they are better off without it but that is not the case for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X