No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet of you to say, Tomi. Just my frustration coming out for the day.

My realization was... I was living what I was preaching. I have my farm and I talk local, ethically grown food and healthy living, but *I* wasnt living it. So I started making some changes. Primal eating was the last one. I used to go drinking every weekend. I never smoked a lot, but did so all the same. I stopped all of that and then changed to primal. I think was ekatherine said is right on the money. People don't want to think they CAN take responsibility for themselves. Some how, we've become invalids. It's angering.

Im just glad ya'll understand where Im coming from.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

• Yep, I understand exactly.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
      My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• All right I just did not have a successful dd today. But it was a great learning experience. A high carb ud even if it is reasonable in total calories does not lead to an easy dd. i am thinking that i may make my dds straight fluids, not calorie free just no food. Today it felt like i was doing very well until I put food in my mouth. Then I could not seem to stop.

Sorry this makes me sound like a wimp after you read about gladmorning quitting all those things. I did quit smoking over 20 years ago though so I should get some credit for that. I was also a vegetarian (admittedly ill advised) for over 10 years. So I know I am capable, just gotta get the combo right.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• N UOY
          Originally posted by Sally600
          I did this for about 6 weeks last fall. Very harsh and unhealthy.
          Did you not read the first post? Or the thread title? This is support and chat. Don't come here with that crap, please.

Chris, you're not a wimp! So what if it wasnt a successful dd. Know how many times I "quit" smoking or went on a diet? About a kadrillion. You are a rock star. Just keep going. Yesterday doesnt matter anymore. Only today.
          The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Comment

• So at the end of my first week on UDDD, I am happy to report that I am down 2.2 pounds total for the week. That is more of a chunk in one week than I've lost in a couple of years in a single week. Very happy. And, what I'm really loving about this is that I really can eat much less than I think I need and be healthy, happy and functional. My three work day down days weren't horrible as I've experienced in the past, and I'm not as hungry on my up days so I'm not eating any more than I was when doing only EMF. I'm still following the EMF principles on my up days, but relaxing slightly on down days (but not by much). I'm averaging about 550 calories on down days and around 1500 on up days. I'm so hoping to get past the "need" to eat when I really DON'T need to, and I think this is helping me figure it all out.

Originally posted by demuralist View Post
            Today it felt like i was doing very well until I put food in my mouth. Then I could not seem to stop.
            Yes, my first down day was like that. I did very well until I ate something, THEN I was hungry after, lol. Yesterday was not such a great down day for me either. I was hungry towards bedtime so I decided to have a little snack.

Comment

• thanks for the support everyone. I am not quitting, just gonna use this as a learning experience. I am going to go with liquids for my dd's, I will make smoothies and BP teas as needed to get to my 450 calories and try to stay close to the EMF percentages.

Here is the odd thing. My calories were twice what they were supposed to be for a dd, but only half what an ud should be. So I was still pretty well controlled. I essentially maintained my weight though, proof once again CICO does not have a direct link to the scale.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Gladmorning you are superwoman! I quit smoking about 6 years ago but it took a hysterectomy and piles of pain pills to make it happen. And I struggle w/ food all the time.

Veronica, you are doing great! You have to make this work with your life. Socializing is hard and you found a way around tha twithout giving up time with your friends. And congrats on the baby. Bet she is beautiful

Demuralist keep it up! All of this is an ongoing process. We are well on our way!

Some ppl from work asked me if I wanted to go to lunch Monday (it was a teacher work day) and I said no which was really hard because I feel like I struggle to meet people and form a social circle as it is. But it was also my first DD after blowing it on Saturday and I didn't want to screw it up.

Someone (don't remember who) said that their third DD was the worst and I have to agree. I was fine until about 2 and then had the worse headache and could not quit thinking of food. I had a pt to go see after leaving school who was about an hours drive from me. So I was in the car hungry with a major headache and could not for the life of me come up w/ something I could eat. Would love some suggestions for these occasions. I ended up going to publix and getting two fried chicken legs something i have not done in a year. Overall i had around 900 calories yesterday. Sigh.....Then I was stupid enough to get on the scale and it said I gained 4 lbs! Wonder if it was salt? Ohhhh.. I had a diet coke, something I do about once a week. Double sodium. Could that cause a 4 lb gain? Someone tell me that it will go away quickly! I figure even if I eat 2000 today that is still an average of 1500 each day which is my BMR so I know it is not hte end of the world but I need some strategies to prevent from happening again.
                You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                height 5'3
                SW 215 lbs
                CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                LW 172 lbs
                GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• One thing I am learning is that there is not, at least for me, a direct correlation between what I ate yesterday and what my scale says today. I have lost after an ud and gained after a dd. You need to not weigh if the fluctuations are going to bother you. Why not try what Sabine is doing and track on a graph so you can see the downward trend over the long haul as opposed to the little (or big) blips that happen on a day to day basis.

Did you get on the scale last night (my end of day weights can be up to 7 pounds higher than my morning weights)?

So munchies that are nearly free are the good ole stand bys...celery, cukes, pickles (dill), jicama, bell pepper, things like that. I also found yesterday that when I finally popped a piece of gum in my mouth that the chewing was what I needed. I was still looking to eat something even though I was literally stuffed, so I spotted a pack of SF gum and what a difference.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Hey guys my ud was good only made it to 2008 cals instead of 2100, but I think that was only cause I had so much running around to do yesterday, trust that I will always eat all of my ud calories otherwise lol! So I weighed 226 on Thursday when I started and today I weigh 223.6 ,2.4 lbs, so it's working! This is also the lowest weight I've seen since my plateau of 2 months at 224! I'm so excited something is finally working!

So today is my dd and also the day I have a friend visiting. I'm making this Crock Pot Chicken a la Criolla | Skinnytaste for dinner with riced cauliflower. I recommend this site for recipes, it's one I used from my weight watcher days but the blogger tends to stick to whole natural ingridients for the most part so it's either already primal or you can omit to make primal. But I think its helpful cause she tries to keep everything low cal, perfect for a dd! I just had my coffee with coconut milk and then I won't eat again till dinner, though even adding an ounce of avocado to my dinner it's seems my cals will only total to 366, good to know I can probably eat something in between for 134 cals if I need to! I might do the broth with butter some of you seem to like. Ok gotta clean my house like a mad woman!
                    Veronica
                    High weight: 263.8 lbs
                    Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                    ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                    Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                    Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

• I'm noticing a pattern in my weight fluctuations......... could use some input (I'll post this on some other threads as well). I am finding after a day of higher carbs.......... (80-120 grams) my weight is lower. Example: Yesterday I had 120 carbs and today my weight is down 3.2 pounds from yesterday morning. The day before that I was really high on carbs - about 200 and my weight was down a pound from the day before.

I'm thinking I might be needing higher carbs in order to let go of the water weight. Now I'm NOT saying I need to eat higher carb to lose FAT............ I'm just saying I'm noticing that the water weight lets go after a higher carb day. So what I'm thinking is that when I notice a jump in weight over night - if I have a higher carb day it might just let it go I'm going to do a bit more tracking in this and see if my theory pans out.

Anyway - yesterday I weighed 185.2 and today I'm 182. Yesterday I ate a sweet potato and ice cream............ go figure.

Any opinions?
                      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion
                      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Ok so far with dd #2 I'm noticing the hunger not as bad as the first dd but man do I have a killer headache! I took some Aleve just now. I hate being hungry because I hate hunger headaches, once you get one not even eating helps them go away. Blah!
                        Veronica
                        High weight: 263.8 lbs
                        Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                        ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                        Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                        Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                          thanks for the support everyone. I am not quitting, just gonna use this as a learning experience. I am going to go with liquids for my dd's, I will make smoothies and BP teas as needed to get to my 450 calories and try to stay close to the EMF percentages.
                          I just read this. I want to make sure you know that my "Eat Real Food" comment on the EMF thread was not aimed at you. It was about people using BPCs etc. to try and reach their fat percentages. I think liquids on a DD for an ADF program is a very viable idea.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Okay, so I have purchased this book, and it is on its way - but would like to start this tomorrow.

If I have got this right DD is ideally Mon, Weds, Fri and UP days can be Tues, thurs, Sat and Sun?

I have gone on Dr J's website and input my details and it says Up days: 3400 Down days: 688

I don't think I can eat that much on Up days, especially as I have been doing EMF...

Does anyone eat underneath their alloted calories and still lose weight.....

Comment

• I've been eating under mine. The site says that I should eat 1904 calories on my up days, but I haven't been hungry enough to get that many in yet. And I think you don't have to have set days, you can if you want, but you can also just rotate. Last week my down days were Saturday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but this coming week they will be Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Comment

• I am definitely eating under mine. I don't weigh in order to track (never have, never will!)

My waist has gone down 1/2" in just over a week.
                                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Working...
                                X