Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there demuralist!

Good luck on sunday.. I hope it all goes well...

Goals:
    • Bodyfat 25 May 2014: 22.5 per cent
    • Target bodyfat: 12 per cent

"Those who can let go a little will know a little peace; those who can let go of a lot will know a lot of peace; those who let go completely will know complete peace" - Ajahn Chah

Comment

• Well today was going very well until I hung out at a friends house and had two drinks. I counted the calories so I went slightly over and had a 700 calorie day. Still gonna call it a dd and move on. I was shocked how easy it was to fast till 5:30 today , I wasn't hungry at all.

Lucas~ that's a good way to look at it. And now that I don't have a vacation looming over me I don't have to be so obsessed with getting there super fast either. I'm just going to take it day by day. Sorta like today wasn't perfect but I'm not gonna sweat it cause I know I everyday isn't always going to go as planned. headache is all gone today

Demuralist~ hope everything goes well with your colonoscopy.
      Veronica
      High weight: 263.8 lbs
      Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
      ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
      Current weight: 177.6 lbs
      Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

• It is routine, I had colon cancer that they discovered 6 months into my second pregnancy. That was 20 years ago, no recurrence, but I have to get checked every 2 years to be safe. Even if another cancer shows up, colon cancer is very slow so they will catch it very early, so it will be no big deal. Thanks for the well wishes though.

To make life easier, I will do mostly liquids tomorrow, smoothies and such. Then Sunday is all clear liquids and the procedure is first thing Monday morning.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Down 3.8 lbs so far after two days so I can't complain. My ud was sort of a disaster, too many calories and carbs but I was 100% primal so I guess that was still enough to make progress. 8.4 lbs to go! Not really setting a time frame on it but I won't lie it'd be nice to have it off in a week since I put it on in a week.

I'm cautiously hopeful,my husband has decided to get back on the primal train with me. When I first started 2 years ago he was on board and lost 30 lbs in a short period of time. I think he only really gave 5 months or so and then went back to his old SAD ways. He put all the weight back on, eats horribly , honestly I'd be happy if he ate SAD it would be an improvement! he doesn't even try to put fruits or veggies in his mouth. He weighed in at 260lbs this morning and would like to get down to 200-210. I honestly think he needs to lose a little more as he is only 5'7, I think he probably look great at 175-180. He won't be doing ADF though , I don't think he could hack it honestly, he'd be too much of a grump. It's already gonna be a challenge getting him to give up his junk food were gonna just concentrate on getting him to eat clean first. Though like I said he easily lost 30 lbs just by eating primal while for me it only made me lose 8 lbs and then I was stuck for months till I tried adf. Straight primal really doesn't help me lose all that much weight, I need to watch calories and carbs as well or I just maintain.

Dd#2 for me today, had my coffee and cream, hope today goes smoothly and hunger isn't too bad. I'm stuck at home all day but my house is a mess so if I concentrate on that it should keep me busy. I also haven't done my workout DVD in a week so I should squeeze that in too but with both my kids home that might have to wait till tomorrow.

Demuralist~ well I'm glad it's just routine and nothing is wrong right now! It's awesome that you stay on top of it and make sure you are still all clear. I know way too many people with cancer now days that I'm starting to think I should go have all these test run just in case! It's a scary world out there , I just hope eating clean and excercise will help.
          Veronica

Comment

• Gasp! I had to go to page 2 to find our thread! Lol! Where you people at? Lost another 2.6 lbs after my dd, so got 6.4 lbs off , another 6.2 to go! I again had trouble sticking to my 500 cals on my dd yesterday and ended up having 800 cals. Seems not to matter right now with the vacation weight but I know I wouldnt be able to keep getting away with that. Just think it takes a few days to get out of the binge mode I was in. I was really bored yesterday and read the whole potato hack thread, interesting concept. Any of you ever try it? Actually sounds harder to eat nothing but potatoes for days than to do ADF . But if I hit a plateau I would probably give it a try. Hope everyone is doing well!
            Veronica

Comment

• Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Don't care for potatoes enough to eat just that. I think that is the potato hack right?

Well proof positive that I can go a day without eating especially if the consequence is that I would have to reschedule my colonoscopy.

Just as a piece of general information.... I think I had less than 500 calories, did yard work for 4 hours in the morning, and completely emptied my intestines and it produced a 3 pound loss. I think that is the maximum I could ever expect in a single day!

All went well and I am good to go for 2 more years.

I am working Wed., Thurs., and Friday this week so I will switch my DD's this week to Wed and Fri from my normal Tues and Thurs.

p.s. I just read an article about a study regarding resistant starch and how to make rice so that it ends up with RS and half its normal calories. I will try to find the article.
              Last edited by demuralist; 03-30-2015, 04:03 PM.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Yea it's just potatoes and seasonings no fat or protein for like 3-5 days. I honestly don't see how it works but people over there swear by it. It doesn't sound very appealing to me either and as long as I don't hit a big plateau I'm sure I won't try it.

3 lbs in a day is nice! Glad to hear all is well!
                Veronica

Comment

• Originally posted by vlo1125 View Post
                  Yea it's just potatoes and seasonings no fat or protein for like 3-5 days. I honestly don't see how it works but people over there swear by it. It doesn't sound very appealing to me either and as long as I don't hit a big plateau I'm sure I won't try it.

3 lbs in a day is nice! Glad to hear all is well!
                  I tried it, but from my calculations it resulted in severe caloric restriction (I was only eating 800 calories a day). It's basically impossible to eat that many potatoes in a sitting without fat with it.
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• So it would essentially be like having several down days in a row, again seems harder than just one 500 calorie day followed by a glorious 2100 calorie day! I just think even if it did work it seems like you'd put the weight back on after you resume eating normally :/
                    Veronica

Comment

• I don't know, that was a very unpleasant way to lose 3 pounds and I am sure it will be back on tomorrow.

I think a plateau is just you body adjusting to a new normal. I suspect it is probably better to be patient than to go days only eating potatoes with no fat or protein, mentally as well as physically.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• As it turns out, while it appears I can only lose 3 pounds in one day (even with a total cleanse!), I can easily gain 5 pounds in a day. Gotta love it.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Hi there Veronica,

IF in page two... that wont do at all! Nobody puts baby in the corner!! Well, it's the last day of March and in the end I clocked up 20 days of lean gains fasting this month... I was hoping for about 25, so there I was a little too permissive with myself overall.. I've definitely made some progress though... I really just rely on the mirror test to see how I'm doing, and I've definitely dropped a couple of pounds...

I'm not sure I could go in for that potato hack thing... I mean, only potatoes?... I'm Irish, and even I would have trouble with the diet...

Bring on April! I'm aiming for 25 days of lean gains...

Hugs,
                          Lucas
                          Goals:
                          • Bodyfat 25 May 2014: 22.5 per cent
                          • Target bodyfat: 12 per cent

"Those who can let go a little will know a little peace; those who can let go of a lot will know a lot of peace; those who let go completely will know complete peace" - Ajahn Chah

Comment

• Veronica, you can subscribe to the thread and that way you will always be able to find us, even if you don't follow us for a while.

Lucas, I bet April will be much easier after your dry run through March.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Dd# 3 in progress, I normally would have eaten by now but dinner won't be done till 6:30pm so that's pushing it late for me. Oh well the hunger hasn't been that bad. Yesterday ud was over again by about 300 cals, but what's worse is the carbs were sky high at 120 grams, I notice if I go above 80 grams I either don't lose or gain. I'm up about 1.5 lbs today so I'm done horsing around :/ started my dvd back up today and only was able to do half of it so I need to do the rest of it at some point tonight, sigh. I'm glad it works out that this Sunday is an ud since it Easter! Gonna make ham , mashed potatoes, green beans, and butter pecan ice cream.

My husband has already lost 5 lbs after day one of being primal! His poor body is just starving for nutrient dense food. I'm sure he'll make it to his goal quickly, that is as long as he sticks to it! For dinner tonight I'm making paleo crockpot beef and broccoli over cauli rice!

Demuralist- derp! I should have subscribed a million years ago! I feel you with the quick gains. I've always been able to gain very quickly, I've gained 10 lbs in a weekend! I also lose pretty quick so that's nice but it's a double edged sword.

Lucas~ 20 days is pretty darn good! So basically if you are going for 25 days are you just doing 1 day per week off? I did do 5 out of 7 days on my vacation 16/8 but because I was so not primal I think it defeated the purpose. Who know though maybe had I not done it I would have gained way more than 12 lbs, now that's a scary thought!
                              Veronica

Comment

• Holy guacamole! This was great highly recommend very filling! Mom as Rx: Paleo Crockpot Beef and Broccoli

And I've rethought things, definetly a primal carrot cake on Easter! Yum!
                                Veronica

Comment

Working...
                                X