No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the things I particularly like about having done my various versions of IF, is that I learned that I do not have to eat before...fill in the blank. For reasons I never figured out, I was always afraid of being hungry, now that I have been hungry, I realize it won't kill me, and I don't even really feel bad.

Having said that, vlo1125, for me feeling like you are feeling would not be worth that weight loss. Wonder if as you are breaking back into it, if you tried going high protein/low carb if it would help with the transition?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Tonya~ maybe certain people can be sensitive after a fast? Idk but I'm glad you are enjoying fasting!

Demuralist ~ I'm hoping it's just a few days of feeling this way while I adjust to getting back into fasting. If I felt like that the whole time it definitely would not be worth it! Right now I'm aiming for 60% fat, 25% Protein , 15% carbs.

After I had lunch I felt a lot better! I also had dinner out so I'm hoping the scale doesn't go up by too much as I stayed as primal as I could ( never know what oils they cook with though). Had rotisserie chicken and green beans. Welp dd#3 tomorrow, wish me luck!
      Veronica
      High weight: 263.8 lbs
      Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
      ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
      Current weight: 177.6 lbs
      Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

• Hi there guys,

Thanks so much for your encouragement! Veronica, sounds like you're having a rough day... yuk! I'm sure your body will get into the rhythm of it, and it will get easier, very soon... there's no getting around the challenges of having a baby to take care of though - toughest job anyone will ever do... I hope you're feeling a bit better by the time you read this...

So as for little ole me, I completed another 18-hour fast this morning, so that's five days so far in March... 5 out of 9, hmmmm....... going for day six beginning after lunch...

Hugs,
        Lucas
        Goals:
        • Bodyfat 25 May 2014: 22.5 per cent
        • Target bodyfat: 12 per cent

"Those who can let go a little will know a little peace; those who can let go of a lot will know a lot of peace; those who let go completely will know complete peace" - Ajahn Chah

Comment

• Lucas, you are doing so well. It must be showing up externally as well as internally by now!
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Am I imagining the clarity I feel while fasted? I do 16/8 and once I get up in the AM and drink a bunch of water and get past my initial morning hunger....I just feel so good. My mind is really clear and my body just seems to hum along....

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Tonya ~ I don't think you are imagining it. I guess I needed to get past the first couple days because dd#3 was great for me today! I did my hour walk and my 45 minute workout DVD and had lots of energy I felt really good today! I was barely hungry!

Lucas~ thanks I am feeling a lot better! Dd# 3 I guess must be the turning point for me. Maybe I was extra run down cause of the lack of sleep the past week with the baby. Hope the rest of my dad's go as well as this one! Keep it the good work dude!

I was very happy to see the scale only go up by .4lbs after my up day. And after having a great dd I hope I'll see another drop tomorrow.i already had my dinner at 4:30 not really because I was so hungry but more cause the baby was napping and it gave me an opportunity to cook it uninterrupted . Made amazing fish tacos that are to die for!
              image.jpg
              Veronica

Comment

• Hi there fast friends!

Go Veronica! So glad you're feeling better

Well, this morning I completed anothe 18-hour fast, so that's 6 days out of 10 so far in March...

Hugs,
                Lucas
                Goals:

"Those who can let go a little will know a little peace; those who can let go of a lot will know a lot of peace; those who let go completely will know complete peace" - Ajahn Chah

Comment

• Lucas~ what time to what time do you do your 18 hour fast?

Down down .8 lbs from my up day which puts me Down 10 lbs so far for the week! And I still have one more dd day left to my week! Hope I don't gain very much after today's up day and can end the week with that loss. Had an extremely busy run around day and didn't end up eating till 11 am even though it was an up day. II actually found myself wishing it was a dd cause it would've made my day easier! Had chicken salad for lunch and I made corned beef with potatoes, cabbage , onions and carrots with kerrygold grassfed butter. Yum!

Had my cholesterol checked today at the dr's because I was curious how two years of primal affected my numbers( checked my level right before going primal so wanted to compare.) I'll have to post numbers but left paper in the car. I do know my hdl got higher which is good but idk about the rest of my numbers.
                  Anywho hope everyone is doing well, ttyl!
                  Veronica

Comment

• My cholesterol is on the high side, but has been for a while (usually somewhere in the very low 200's), my HDL's are high (and rising) though, but my LDL's are high as well. I won't take Statins so it doesn't really matter, but it is interesting to see.

I almost never eat before 2pm, though I do have a measured does of cream in my coffee in the morning. On the days I am at work I don't eat until at least 4:30. I also almost never eat anything after 7pm in the evening as I sleep better if my tummy is nearly empty. So effectively I do a 3 to 5 hour eating window. The longer the window the more likely I am to over eat.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• hi there fastfriends,

Well, I had a total wipeout yesterday.. not a 'I sneaked a slice of apple wipeout'... I'm talking a chocolate cookie wipeout here... damn! anyway, get up and get back on the horse!

Veronica, I usually fast from 2pm to 8am - that's what works best for me (well, when I do it it works for me)... so it's effectively a 6-hour food window...

I always get a little hunger around 9pm, but the hunger passes if I just stay mindful and wait it out.. indeed it usually doesnt last for more than an hour..... so hopefully I'll remember that this evening!

Hugs,
                      Lucas
                      Goals:

Comment

• the beauty of your plan is that you can easily jump back on it.

I have found that my hunger pains comes in waves. If I can remind myself of that, it can be very easy as they only last for a few minutes and then go away, then come back a bit stronger a while later. How long later depends on how I have chosen to occupy myself. If I am puttering in the kitchen (suspiciously near the pantry) it is a pretty short time between them, if I start an interesting project they are usually gone till I finish.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• This must work pretty rapidly! Does anybody not succeed?
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• I've found that drinking a glass of water when hunger strikes helps a ton. And Lucas....cookies happen 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                              This must work pretty rapidly! Does anybody not succeed?

Given the many definitions of IF, I am sure that most everyone can find one that suits them. Having said that, I think that the myriad of dietary styles that exist, each with its avid supporters, proves that we each need to find the plan that works for us. IF may not be it for everyone.

As far as how rapidly it works, I think it is like most any other dietary/lifestyle change, it starts quickly then settles in to a more reasonable progression.

For me, I find I go through spurts and then settle in to a plateau of sorts where the weight loss slows and my motivation wanes and I get a little lax, but then perk back up and pick it right back up. I am in it for the long haul though, truly for the rest of my life, so getting there quickly is not what I am going for.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• Sigh my good luck has come to an end, weighed in this morning 3 lbs more after my up day stayed within my calories but I think the potatoes were a mistake. Today's dd went very smooth though , very little hunger so that was good. If I could drop this 3 lbs by tomorrow then I'll complete the week with 10 lbs lost but somehow I doubt it, Maybe I'll drop 1.5 or 2 is my guess which would still be a very good week so I can't complain. Plus I still got another whole week till my vacation so if I can drop a few more even better! I don't want to derail the progress I've made while on vacation but idk if I can do alternate day fasting either. Maybe I should look into doing a lean gains type fast? Like only eat from 2pm to 8 pm or something like that?
                                Veronica

Comment

Working...
                                X