No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you should do what makes you feel best. I tend to feel best on days that I wait to eat until later in the day, Effectively a 20:4 or something close whether or not I watch the calories.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Howdy folks,

So I've been getting back into fasting, using the 'lean gains'... that's 16 hours fast followed by 8 hours normal eating... that's what has worked for me in the past - in fact last time I did it I got nice and lean, nice and fast.... feeling a bit pudgy around the middle these days, so it's time to get back to it! So far in March I'm 2 for 4, that is I've fasted two days out of four... I know I need to fast about 25 days out of the month to achieve the kind of progress I want... so here goes!

March 'Lean Gains' days so far: 2

Hugs,
      Lucas
      Goals:
      • Bodyfat 25 May 2014: 22.5 per cent
      • Target bodyfat: 12 per cent

"Those who can let go a little will know a little peace; those who can let go of a lot will know a lot of peace; those who let go completely will know complete peace" - Ajahn Chah

Comment

• good luck. I need a much smaller window of eating to see results, maybe an hour I do best if I just plan to eat one meal, with maybe a smoothie as a lead in.

Of course, I have different goals than you do as well.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Whey you decide to do fasting, how does it look your last meal? Is it ordinary or a little bit bigger?
          For example, if you eat at 8pm and fast till 1 pm next day - is that last meal a huge dinner or something usual (e.g. salad, meat)?
          @goodiesforme

Comment

• Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

It is a "normal" meal, protein source an lots of veggies. I actually find it a bit more difficult to fast if the last meal is late/large/or high carb. On my non-fasting days my last meal rarely ends later than 7pm, or at least 3 hours before I go to bed. I don't like to go to bed with a full tummy. And I usually fast till at least 2:30 the next day, preferably 4:30 though.
            Chris
            Unknown

Comment

• Hello! Thanks for sharing this thread. I'm looking forward to the results when I start practicing this.
              "It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop." -Confucius
              "A year from now you will wish you had started today." - Karen Lamb

http://aquaponicsgrowingtips.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by vlo1125 View Post
                Hey guys, so I had my baby 6 weeks ago[ATTACH]15871[/ATTACH]

Here my little Lorenzo, he's colicky and let's me get no sleep but I love him to pieces!

So I made it up to a whopping 245lbs at the end of my pregnancy, that's a 41 lb gain from the 204 lbs I had gotten down to while on ADF. After having him I've only lost about 17lbs, 228 lbs,leaving me up 24lbs still. Basically it brought me right back to where I was before I started ADF, so back to the drawing board, sigh.

So pretty much within a week of having him I started to be strict primal again( I had gotten laxed at the end of my pregnancy) and for the last month saw very little progress, lost 3 lbs and it fluctuates. I'll admit that I haven't been watching my carbs and still was eating rice which could be why I'm not losing. But I've never seen much success being primal without doing it in conjunction with ADF. So I desperately want to start but I'm nursing and I'm scared that having down days will effect my milk production. I've tried to search online to see if anyone has done it while breast feeding with no luck,Part of me wants to just go for it and be the guinea pig but if it did decrease my supply I'd be in trouble.

Idk what do you guys think? Should I just try to be strict primal and watch my carbs first, or jump back into ADF?

Idk I anyone remembers me but this was where I last left you a year ago. My baby boy is now 13 months and I lost all the pregnancy weight by the time he was 6 months and an additional 30 lbs on top of that by the time he was 9 months! I've been maintain at about 170lbs for the last 4 months but within the last month decided to try to buckle down again and try to get to goal. I did not attempt adf again because I was nursing and I actually still am. I think I didn't have to because nursing in conjunction with primal eating and excercise helped me lose weight. Now that the baby is starting to eat more solids I've been toying with the idea of trying adf again. For the last month I've been trying really hard to lose weight with strict primal eating I've actually gained! Lately I've been sitting at 173-175lbs. I think it's a combo of muscle gain and the baby breast feeding less. I've lost 70 lbs already which is great but I would love to make it to goal and I remember how effortlessly I lost with adf ( besides being hungry lol!). All I had was my morning coffee today so I'm gonna go ahead and call this my down day! I just hope nursing doesn't make my hunger worse for me! Ever since I did adf I've always skipped breakfast so I don't normally eat until 11-12 anyways so I just need to extend that till dinner today. Wish me luck!
                Veronica
                High weight: 263.8 lbs
                Primal start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
                ADF start weight 10/12/15 : 188.2lbs
                Current weight: 177.6 lbs
                Goal: 145 lbs

Comment

• You are going to seriously increase your fluid intake if you are fasting and breast feeding. Fasting requires an increase in fluid intake anyway because we get so much of our fluids from foods. Then breast feeding requires so much fluids too. I personally doubt that you will be any more hungry than you were pre-pregnancy with him being 13 months and supplementing with solids.

Good Luck, you can do it!

p.s. Congrats!
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                    good luck. I need a much smaller window of eating to see results, maybe an hour I do best if I just plan to eat one meal, with maybe a smoothie as a lead in.
                    Thanks demuralist. yes, the 16-8 daily breakdown is pretty loose... I've actually started with an 18-6, but might shift to 20-4....

I just completed another 18-hour fast, so that's 3 out of 5 so far in March...
                    A few people have mentioned the way eating breakfast can actually make you hungrier during the day... I've definitely found that to be the case... here's a good post from the LG site that I enjoyed: Why Does Breakfast Make Me Hungry? (Major Update July 16th) | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Hugs,
                    Lucas
                    Goals:
                    • Bodyfat 25 May 2014: 22.5 per cent
                    • Target bodyfat: 12 per cent

"Those who can let go a little will know a little peace; those who can let go of a lot will know a lot of peace; those who let go completely will know complete peace" - Ajahn Chah

Comment

• I don't know that breakfast necessarily made me hungrier, but not being a morning person I never liked eating it. I only ever ate it because "studies have shown" that people who maintain an "acceptable" weight are breakfast eaters. But after 40 years of dieting and only getting fatter, I finally figured out that wasn't going to work for me. What it does do for me is just add that many calories. So if I eat a 500 calorie breakfast, I am no hungrier or less hungry at 'lunchtime', and that 500 calories was just added on top of anything else I do all day. And that is true no matter what I have for breakfast. My husband can eat a massive breakfast and be done for the rest of the day. I feel much better if I skip breakfast and lunch and just eat a well rounded early dinner.

p.s. thanks for the article.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• Thanks demuralist! Well I have made it to 1pm so far and I'm starting to feel the hunger pains! I had a cup of tea and now I'm about to go do a 45 minute work DVD and drink some more water.

Lucas~ I too can't have breakfast on down days. I do better with like 50 cals worth of cream in my coffee and then the rest of my cals for dinner around 5 or 6 pm. Of course I haven't done adf in 2 years but I'm pretty sure that I'll still prefer it this way.
                        Veronica

Comment

• I would be easy with the workout on your first fast day back. You have to see how you feel but it seems like breastfeeding and workout is really pushing it. Maybe just taking your son for a walk (when the weather gets nicer) on days you fast would be easier on the system?
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                            I would be easy with the workout on your first fast day back. You have to see how you feel but it seems like breastfeeding and workout is really pushing it. Maybe just taking your son for a walk (when the weather gets nicer) on days you fast would be easier on the system?
                            I walk for 40 -50 mins 5 days a week at the mall in addition to that Ive been doing slim in 6 for the last 3 weeks. I'm sure now that I'm adding adf back to the mix I won't want to do both on dd's and as for nursing while doing all these things I'll just have to see how I feel. I got really hungry at 12:30, 3:30 and then I ate at 5 pm. I threw together a paleo type of pho soup that was soo good and I had to eat out of a Pyrex bowl as it made a huge serving and did t even clock in at 400 cals.image.jpg

I have noticed that I'm super cranky today, could be my 6 years old is just being super bratty or cause I'm Hangry lol!
                            Veronica

Comment

• I tend to get sort of nauseous as opposed to cranky when I do actual exercise on my DD's. Last time I went to the doc my blood sugar was 49 after a DD with exercise. Now I personally think there was a lab error but she did ask me to cut down on actual exercise on my DD's. Now we are all different with different tolerances, but given I do 3 DD's a week that is too much of my life to spend it feeling crappy/cranky.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• I remember being cranky on dd before , it's totaly due to hunger, I hate being hungry! But it worked so I'm willing to give it a try again! Right now I'm committing myself to the next two weeks before a family vacation. Depending on the results I may continue doing it till I reach goal weight and then maybe transition to a 5:2 for maintenance.
                                Veronica

Comment

Working...
                                X