No announcement yet.

Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been doing IF where I ingest 0calories during my 36 hour fast. I only put water and tea into my body. I alternate up and down days everyday. I am losing weight and will go to 420cal on my dd once I am at gw. My question is, can I maintain my gw at 420cals everyday? And if I add up the cals I burn from working out does that mean I should up my cal intake?

Comment

• Wait, what? Did you mean using 420 on DD to maintain right? You should be able to, if not you can alter one DD a week to work it out. I would not think the exercise would translate to calories just to better health.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• ...yes I meant 420 on my DD. I don't know where I got that number from. It was from another blog.

How many calories do you intake on an UD?

Comment

• I don't count calories on my UD. It makes it seem too much like a diet then and emotionally I feel deprived which inevitably leads to a binge. I plan to do some version of this for life so speed of loss is not what I am after.

When thing are going right, I do a 4:3, with 500 calories on my DD. I am trying to get back into the rhythm now. Christmas and the parties that accompany it have thrown me off. I am getting there though.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• A super low calorie meal for a down day is soup, especially if you make your own. I use an entire box of low sodium broth (4 cups/40 cal toatl) and then I add 3 cups of water. Add 2 cups cabbage, 2 cups of kale, one onion, 4 cooked chicken breasts (no skin), 5 carrots, 5 celery stalks, and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and seasoning (onion powder, celery salt, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, braggs) . This comes out to 60-70 calories/cup a serving! And it is super delicious.

34 years old, 5'1

SW- 150
            CW-130
            GW-110

Comment

• I do a very similar thing using homemade beef bone broth so it is probably a tad higher but not significantly so. In the summer I do a green smoothie instead of the soup. Spaghetti squash is crazy low in calories as well
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• Hi all, I just stumbled upon this site while trying to find people who are into adf. Anyway I'm just starting out with adf and so far loving it. So hi!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Hello, and welcome. I hope ADF is as good for you as it has been for me.

Comment

• Hi back atcha. I do a 4:3, life was too hard for to schedule with ADF. I like knowing what days are fast days so that I can plan social activities.

Welcome and good luck.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• It's fantastic having people to actually talk about it with. I haven't told anyone cuz I know they will be in serious shock, "how can you only eat 4 times a week?! I'd DIE". Adf seems so easy to me, makes my life revolve a lot less around meal prepping. I'm a fitness gal too so I'm used to the whole eating 6 meals a day thing. :/

Comment

• I like it because I never liked breakfast. I am more of a "eat a bunch at one sitting" kind of girl. The fasting has helped tremendously with that as well as letting me know I am not doomed if I skip food first thing in the morning.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• I'm in my second week of alternate day fasting. Trying to do it for Lent, but will no doubt continue afterward. I fast completely Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, eat what I want on the other four days. On fasting days I drink either green tea sweetened with Stevia or coffee using either cream, half and half or coconut oil. I keep my calories under 60 calories for the day, but they are fat calories.
                          So far I've tried working out after 32 hours of fasting both by ingesting BCAA's just prior to my workout, and by working out, then waiting two hours, for maximal HGH benefits.
                          I had tried in the past the 500 calories a day method on my fast days, but found once I started eating I just got hungrier and hungrier. If I simply fast, then go to sleep, I do better, so this time I'm opting for the longer fast - all day, then all night, then working out first thing in the morning in a fasted state.
                          My workouts are very brief, very hard, and leave my lungs pumping, heart pounding and just about every muscle in my body used. I use a step, weights, squats into thrusts, using Tabata timing - 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds of rest. Usually use three pounders to warm up, which gets my heart going a bit and gets my lungs pumping but warms my muscles. Then do same routine - another Tabata on top of the first with 10 pounders, then a third with 15 pounders. I use a 12 inch step and do a form of Heavyhands. Do four different movements - an exaggerated march with arms pumping from full hang to over head while stepping up and down 12 inch step, similar jumping jack style movement, cross country skiing type movement, then deep squats up into pressing weights overhead. A full workout lasts 12 minutes or so. I rest a minute or two between Tabatas. Three Tabatas stacked. I'm toast by the end of it. I work as a teacher, so can't always get to gym early in the morning. When I can I sit in steam room and sauna to help with HGH production. Started at 245, down to 236. Goal is to keep at this until I'm down to 7% body fat, weighing about 195 or so.
                          I suppose this is a form of Eat Stop Eat. I've added a lot of my own stuff. I like tabata, and I also like using a step and Heavyhands movements to get a workout that uses as many muscles as possible. Have my before pictures; can't wait to see my after pictures.
                          I don't eat gluten on my eating days, but I do otherwise eat pretty much what I want. I tend to feast on fruit and big salads, lean chicken, lean pork. Eat at Panda when I eat out - veggies, chicken. Have dark chocolate, avocados, hummus. Have one cheat day a week to reset ghrelin levels, but don't go too crazy.
                          Am really seeing a difference in a short period of time. Face thinner, abs different.
                          Last edited by johnptracy; 03-01-2015, 12:56 PM. Reason: mistakes

Comment

• good luck!! Sounds like you have it all figured out.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by johnptracy View Post
                              ...I fast completely Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, eat what I want on the other four days....
                              This is how I do it, too.
                              Good to read how your routine is working for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnptracy View Post
                                I had tried in the past the 500 calories a day method on my fast days, but found once I started eating I just got hungrier and hungrier. If I simply fast, then go to sleep, I do better, so this time I'm opting for the longer fast - all day, then all night, then working out first thing in the morning in a fasted state. .
                                I am the same way. Once I start eating it's hard to stop ingesting minimal calories. I find it easier to do a complete fast.

I'm at a point now where I'm trying to determine whether I can do this as a lifestyle or whether it is better to eat every day....

Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X