Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Day Fasting-Support and Chat

AIP is autoimmune Paleo. More restrictive. Eliminates eggs and nuts and nightshades for those who react to them.

I do much better with set days, so my down days are Mon, Wed, Fri, rather than true alternation.

I'm still on 500 cal downs.
    Janeen

Comment

• Ok, thanks, I have never heard that term though I have seen people who have that issue and use that eating plan.

With my new work schedule starting on August 1 I am going to switch my down days to Sun-Tues-Thurs. Still at 500. I am currently working on eating to hunger and stopping when I am no longer hungry on my non-fasting days. If I get to a point where I stop losing I will start paying more attention. Or maybe switch to an actual ADF.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        There's no reason why you couldn't combine the two. EMF makes fasting much easier.
        Working my way through the thread. Through page 9 of 79...

What's EMF? Down days are really hard for me. I hate fasting. I'm interested in anything that makes it easier.
        Last edited by janeen; 07-20-2014, 11:03 PM.
        Janeen

Comment

• Originally posted by janeen View Post
          Working my way through the thread. Through page 9 of 79...

What's EMF? Down days are really hard for me. I hate fasting. I'm interested in anything that makes it easier.
          EMF= Eat More Fat

I would actually suggest borrowing Krista Varady's Book "The Every Other Day Diet" she is the scientist that has actually done the most research on this and has put it into her book. Though she is not a big fan of Paleo, that is irrelevant really, her point is that you can do ADF with any style of eating. However she also give tips on what seemed to make a difference with the people in her research. Things like only eating one meal and perhaps a small snack, drinking more fluids than normal because you aren't getting as much from foods, chewing gum, eating some fat and more protein, and making yourself bus, are things that she shows help you through a fast day.

And by the way once you power through the first few fasts, say 2 weeks, they get significantly easier.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Hmmm. Very interesting. I think I kind of already do this but just not intentionally and a lot more randomly. Some days some combination of being otherwise occupied and not feeling really hungry mean I eat very little. I wonder if I could construct the carnivorous version of this plan.

Comment

• As far as I have seen, none of the IF plans tell you what to eat, that is up to you, it is all about when to eat. And there are a slew of versions of IF if you include the eating window plans. Making it a carnivorous plan should not pose a problem.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

So I'm on my last down day this week, making 6 in 2 weeks. Some observations:

1 practice does make it easier. The worst day was the second fast day. The best so far was #5.

2. Eating carbs on the feast days does make the fast days worse. A lot worse.

3. I was prepared for the fast days. I did not realize how tempted I would be to eat things I never eat on the feast days. It seems I can be very disciplined or not at all. Something else to work on.

4. I'm not so sure I want to take fasting with me on a short vacation next week. I need to figure out what I'll do.
                Janeen

Comment

• When I went to my mom's for a week, I essentially ate one meal a day (dinner) with a very small snack late afternoon (usually a piece of fruit or some raw veggies), and I did end dinner with ice cream (we always do at mom's house). 12 days of that and came back the same weight as when I left. That to me was a success, and very easy to maintain since dinner was the family meal we all ate together and the rest of the day we were on our own.

as to #3 you'll get past it, once you are totally convinced you really can eat whatever you want on your feast day, most of that stuff generally loses its appeal.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• I did ADF for 2 years (the JUDDD program), and since I'm very carb sensitive, I did low carb on both DDs and UDs. Ketosis made the DDs much more manageable. On DDs, I ate mainly protein because I worried about meeting the body's needs (I was losing weight and wanted to minimize muscle loss). My staples were egg white 'omelets' (micro in a soup mug) and tuna or other white fish like flounder or sea bass, sometimes shrimp.

Many people eat only once a day on DDs, but I tended to eat at least 3 times, with 150 cal, 100 cal, and 100 ca.

I don't do ADF now, but I informally cycle calories similarly to maintain my weight (age and medical issues = low calories for me).

Comment

• Well, week 2 was a disaster. Week 1 was good, with a net loss of 5 lbs after the weekend. Week 2, I loss less on each dd and gained more on each ud. Plus I stupidly tried cheese. GF pizza, so carbs plus cheese! Ack!

So now I'm starting week 3 heavier than week 2, and only 1.4 lbs lighter than I started week 1.
                      Janeen

Comment

• There's a big alternate fasting group over on Low Carb Friends (JUDDD), and I'm constantly reading where women have their biggest problem with overdoing the UDs.

When I did this for weight loss, I was as strict on UDs as DDs--i.e., I allowed myself more food on UDs but I stayed low carb and counted every calorie. After a 350 cal. DD, my UDs were luxurious, even being strict.

Those for whom this didn't work treated UDs as a free-for-all for eating.

Comment

• I use my UD's to teach myself to eat to hunger. Only eat when physically hungry, only eat what I REALLY want (not what I think I should have), eat it mindfully, and stop when I am no longer hungry. I am finding that the longer I do this, the better I am at recognizing the physical hunger as well as the signs that I am no longer hungry. I also am finding that the difference after UD's and DD's on the scale is getting smaller.

I never allow a free for all, though I do have treats-both sweet and savory. My rule for treats though is that they have to be homemade-by me or someone I know-with the very rare trip to a restaurant.

I would suggest that you use a tracker for your weights that will give you a graph so you can see that the zigzag is moving in the downward direction. There are 2 apps that I have used on my phone that sort of smooth out the graph line, they were both free. One is called "Healthcare" and one is called "Happy Scale". Happy Scale is a much more straight forward one, Healthcare gives a lot more data info on trends and predictions.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Well, free for all doesn't seem to be cutting it for me, either.

So I'm in week 3 now, and just had my first dd that I would say really was not difficult. I had eaten more protein and fat on Sunday (up). Then in Monday, I just made 3 changes: I drank more water and I increased my protein, and I rode my bike. MUCH better! And down a whopping 3.4 this morning, pretty much putting me back where I was at the end of week 1.

I have lots of food sensitivities, and my thyroid levels aren't horrible, but aren't quite optimal, either. I'm having more bloodwork done in a couple of weeks, so we'll see if any of that helps. In the meantime, I'm going back to my Wahls protocol today for my up day. I tend to do best on that.
                            Janeen

Comment

• It is crazy how individual each of us are, to me that is the reason that "diets don't work".

On my DD's I have discovered that basically I can't eat, I drink, a LOT. I drink at least a gallon of various teas and water. then I make a smoothie. It is super thick so I have to eat it with a spoon, similar to soft serve. But this way I can very precisely control my nutrient intake as well as calories, fat, and protein.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• We really ARE different! My body doesn't seem to recognize anything liquid as 'food.' I need mouth action. But I have no problem with my DDs at about 350 cal, eating my egg whites and some tuna (usually) or shrimp. I focus on getting as much protein as possible for my calories.

I also drink coffee and tea all day, but I drink both 'black,' so they're 'free' (in terms of calories.

Comment

Working...
                                X